Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IGMP Proxying & D/L Speed & Skype

mistikato
Aspirant

IGMP Proxying & D/L Speed & Skype

Hi all,
I am having problems with my Netgear D6300B. The problem is that every 3-4 minutes Skype very shortly goes offline and immediately after comes back online again. If I happen to be having a skype video-call, it just disconnects (and then reconnects).

This is very regular, every 3-4 minutes. That's quite annoying. The logs show nothing during these "events".
This happens both when I am using Wifi and when using cable connection to the router. Makes no difference.
The Netgear router itself is connected via cable to my cable modem.

The only thing that seems to solve my skype connectivity problem is to enable IGMP proxying (i.e. untick the option "Disable IGMP Proxying"). Problem is, when I do that, my download speed goes down by a factor of more than 10 ! I measured this using wifi and http://www.speedtest.net/
With "Disable IGMP Proxying" ticked and skype problems, I get 120 Mbits/s (via Wifi)
With "Disable IGMP Proxying" unticked without skype problems, I get a measly 5 Mbits/sec (via Wifi).

That's a huge difference and very mysterious! So either my skype cuts every 3-4 minutes, and I get super download speeds - or it doesn't but my download speed sucks.
Before trying the IGMP thingy, I tried playing with "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection", "Disable SIP ALG" and "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings", but those didn't seemed to help the skype issue.

I am in Germany, and I am using Firmware version V1.0.0.32_1.0.32. The newer firmware versions don't seem to be available for Germany.

As you can guess, I am not an expert in network stuff, so any idea of simple tests I could do would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance !

Message 1 of 9
mistikato
Aspirant

Any ideas ?
Is this supposed to be the case ?
I have now had a 1h Skype call (with the low bandwidth setting), so I can confirm that the IGMP Proxying setting solves the problem. Now, how to get good B/W *and* no skype interuption ?
Thanks so much !
Message 2 of 9
degenhardt
Novice

Hi mystikato, did you finally solve this issue ? I have a similar problem.
I use putty sessions or desktop sessions a lot. Sometimes after 30-60 minutes my sessions interrupt and the router reloads.When I make ICMP-calls (constant PINGs with -t options) to the same hosts I get interruptions (packet losses) too.
Message 3 of 9
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Can you check if you have QoS setup option on Genie page. Disable it and try if that works.
Message 4 of 9
degenhardt
Novice

QoS is not activated. I also could see, that the admin-Interface is not accessible anymore. pings are going through though. I have to restart the router. Then everything works again. I had updated to the latest firmware.
For me this seems to be a bug.
Message 5 of 9
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Message 6 of 9
Ghost-
Aspirant

anyone have a fix for this? 

i'm already at the correct MTU and still have the same issue as OP

Message 7 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Ghost-,

1. What is the model number of your device?

2. What is the firmware version?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 9
Ghost-
Aspirant

D6300

Firmware Version
V1.0.0.90_1.0.90

Message 9 of 9