Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IOT devices stopped working after swap to Netgear DM200 modem!

FURRYe38
Guru

What model cameras do you have? 

D-Link cameras only need to be reg'd with there cloud service once. If you change out the ISP modem or external router, you don't have to re-reg any thing. The registration is per each device based on a unique number thats assigned to each device that connects and is reg'd with there service. Is not depended upon what modem or router you have connected. I've changed out modems and routers on my system. I don't have to re-reg anything. Just have to make sure that the SSID names and PW are the same when I migrate to a new or different wifi signal from what the cameras were set to connected to intitially. 

Message 76 of 85
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

you are correct. i called htem and they said the same as you.

Message 77 of 85
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

I’m wondering if this helps??? How to interpret?????

https://kb.netgear.com/20310/Setting-the-DM111PSPv2-to-Modem-Mode-Bridge-Mode

In Modem mode, the DM111PSP v2 automatically gets the public IP address details from the Internet Service Provider (ISP), and acts as a DHCP server to pass this same public ip address to the single device (computer or router) connected to it's LAN port.

Notes:

Some ISPs specify a default gateway address that is in a different subnet to the public ip address. Since most computers and routers insist that these addresses should be in the same subnet, the DM111PSPv2 in Modem mode generates a "dummy" default gateway address that is passed via DHCP to the device on it's LAN port. This dummy address is normally x.x.x.254.

In Modem mode, the DM111PSPv2 acts as a DHCP server for the device connected to its LAN port, but it only has one IP address (the public IP address) to issue. Once this address has been issued to one LAN device, it will not be issued to another device until the DM111PSPv2 has been rebooted to make it forget about the DHCP lease.

Also check this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Can-t-set-my-previous-NG-ADSL2-Router-as-mod...

Message 78 of 85
schumaku
Guru

@GearNetRouter wrote:

I’m wondering if this helps??? How to interpret?????

This does tell us that the ADSL connection (typically PPPoE) is terminated on the Modem, the ISP authentication is handled on that Modem, so it's not a transparent L2 device. 

Message 79 of 85
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Sorry the terminology is above my head until I research it. But I think you mean this imples (or we can conclude) that the DM200 if its similar to the modem/router described in the linked thread, cannot be bridged in the same way as other modems?

If so, they should really disclose it in the packaging IMO. Also my broken modem was is a P660R-D1 from Zyzel. It has modem router capability as well but goes into bridge mode easily and didnt cause any problems as far as remote access when paired with an R7000 router. From what I read the Zyxel's implementation is the norm - at least based on articles I read on reviews I read of people who have abandoned the DM200 out of frustration during setup. What is Netgear's logic in its implementation?

Message 80 of 85
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Through comparing and contrasting the Zyzel manual and the Neatgear DM200 manual as well as a TP LInk one I have around the DM200 does not have a drop down box for RFC 1483 bridge mode. 

Message 81 of 85
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

An update for those following the thread. The DM 200 was shelved and a new Zycel modem was set in bridge mode and connected to the router. It was all plug an play after setting up the Zycel. No changes necessary to the router. IOT devices back online. I think the issue based on the help of valuable good people here and my own reading is the DM 200 does not have true transparent bridge capability. It does not run RFC 1483. The DM 200 was returned to Amazon for a refund and rightfully so.

Message 82 of 85

@GearNetRouter wrote:

The DM 200 was shelved and a new Zycel modem was set in bridge mode and connected to the router.

Just in case anyone is interested, the name of the company is, of course, ZyXEL, just about the only spelling that hasn't appeared here.

ZyXEL is another of the makers of domestic routers and modems for the mass market, alongside Asus and Netgear.

Some people advise against using any ot these "consumer grade" routers:

Router Security - Consumer Routers

The issue is security, which gets some people really hot under the collar.

Router Bugs Flaws Hacks and Vulnerabilities

Message 83 of 85
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

That's great. BTW looks like you blog. Why interlope on this thread which is not about security? Should post this somewhere else instead IMO.

Message 84 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you tried a different model modem. Seems that there is an issue with the DM200. Hope the Zyxel modem works well for you. Enjoy. 

@GearNetRouter wrote:

An update for those following the thread. The DM 200 was shelved and a new Zycel modem was set in bridge mode and connected to the router. It was all plug an play after setting up the Zycel. No changes necessary to the router. IOT devices back online. I think the issue based on the help of valuable good people here and my own reading is the DM 200 does not have true transparent bridge capability. It does not run RFC 1483. The DM 200 was returned to Amazon for a refund and rightfully so.

Message 85 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7