Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPV6 D7000 not working properly

Scorps75
Aspirant

IPV6 D7000 not working properly

In the UK with zen internet and they recommend using a zyxel adsl modem router as they have been tested and working 100% with IPV6.

I have had the netgear d7000 since november 2016 and i am still waiting on a bios that actually works properly with ipv6, the current implementation causes all sorts of issues and score 1/10 on the ipv6 test site.

Zen internet have said currently no one has got a netgear modem router to work properly with ipv6.

When will there be a firmware update to rectify this issue?

I have a game i play which is in beta 2.03 right now which is implementing ipv6 which will fix/resolve issues with current p2p connections but i cant test or use it due to the routers limitations.

/64 Neighbour Discovery (ND) Prefix. This is used to automatically address the WAN interface of your Router, or if you are directly connected without a router, the WAN interface of that device. This can be configured using SLAAC.

/48 Delegation Prefix. This is usually provided over DHCPv6, and requires that your router acts as a requesting router for the purpose of IPv6 delegation RFC3633 - (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3633). Subnets of this prefix are used by the CPE to address devices on the LAN. If prefix delegation is not supported on the router, a suggested interface ID and static route is available, which should allow routing to take place.

We also have an IPv6 enabled DNS Resolver (2a02:8010:1::212:23:3:100) , the IPv6 Address of this will be automatically advertised to supporting routers RFC3646 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3646). It can also be configured manually if required.

Routers supporting RFC7084 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7084) are expected to work without issue. Older routers, or ones that do not fully implement RFC7084 may experience issues.

Instructions for enabling IPv6 on Zen-supplied routers are available on the Zen Support Knowledge base;
- Technicolor TG589: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Enabling-IPv6-on-Technicolor-v10-Firmware
- Fritz!Box 3490: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/FritzBox-3490-IPv6-Setup
- ZyXEL VMG 1312/8924: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-IPv6-Setup

Note: customers using the ZyXEL 1312 device may need to upgrade their firmware to the latest version to get IPv6 working. You can download the new firmware from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/irpnfl4lkt9bqiy/V511AAXA4C0.bin?dl=0 Once that file has downloaded you will need to log in to your router at http://192.168.1.1. The username is "admin" and the default password is "1234". Once you have logged in you need to go to "Maintenance" and then "Firmware Update" the select the firmware file you have downloaded.

Can i get either a full refund on the product or a working firmware? if i can get a refund i will purchase the zyxel which work without issues.

please respond asap (Yes i know its the weekend)

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

You may as well return your Netgear router as it will only support the /64 delegation. This is the same issue preventing those on BT Infinity being able to get ipv6 with any Netgear router.

I for one won't be buying a Netgear product ever again unless this is resolved! (Given the current response by Netgear it looks like I will never be buying Netgear again!)

Message 2 of 9

Do any Netgear modems support BT's implementation of IPv6?

Given the near monopoly of BT OpenReach in the UK – other ISPs use its networks – this looks like a massive hole in Netgear's range.

BT's own modem naturally support its flavour of IPv6.

Message 3 of 9
Ant__M
Aspirant

This is pathetic, paying £100+ for a router released in the last couple of years and it's not even futureproofed for ipv6 with one of the countries biggest ISP's

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 4 of 9

I assume that reference to one of the country's biggests ISPs means BT.

Yes, it is odd.

Sadly, past experience suggests that BT has done its usual thing.

Way back when it was the "ministry of telephones", the GPO – you can still see the letters on some old kit – decided that it knew better than anyone else what technology the telephone network needed. Unfortunately, it got it hopelkessly wrong and in the process managed to kill off the UK's telephone manufacturing industry. Companies put so much effort into meeting the GPO's insane needs that they couldnlt sell their kit to anyone else.

Seems that the GPO's successors have a similar divine faith in their understanding of what technology we should all use.

This was, after all, the company that was an early adopter of email, Telecom Gold. (I was one of its first customers.) BT then deviced that email would never catch on and shut down the service.

Message 5 of 9

I assume that reference to one of the country's biggest ISPs means BT.

Yes, it is odd.

Way back when it was the "ministry of telephones", the GPO – you can still see the letters on some old kit – decided that it knew better than anyone else what technology the telephone network needed. Unfortunately, it got it hopelessly wrong and in the process managed to kill off the UK's telephone manufacturing industry. Companies put so much effort into meeting the GPO's insane needs that they couldn't sell their kit to anyone else.

Seems that the GPO's successors have a similar divine faith in their understanding of what technology we should all use.

This was, after all, the company that was an early adopter of email, Telecom Gold. (I was one of its first customers.) BT then deviced that email would never catch on and shut down the service.

Message 6 of 9
Ant__M
Aspirant

I don't think in reality it's got anything to do with BT, they won't be the only ones using that range, i'd say the states will already have a few, the blame lies with netgear  especially when it's marketed at certain providers in our case BTInfinity in the likes of pcworld etc, or in the states someone like comcast or whoever

it's a £100 + router that doesn't cover whatever implementations of ipv6 whether that's a /48 or /64 address it should be covered, it's just sloppy.

I've no real issues with bt service wise for this or anything else tbh.

Message 7 of 9
Scorps75
Aspirant

I have finally fixed the issue.

Returned the unit back to store and after contacting head office of maplin uk i have a refund in full 🙂

Purchased a Fritz!3490 box and ipv 6 is working as it should and passes all tests on this site 10/10 and game now works as intended 🙂

http://test-ipv6.com/

buy netgear.

Message 8 of 9
smf22
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Way back when it was the "ministry of telephones", the GPO – you can still see the letters on some old kit – decided that it knew better than anyone else what technology the telephone network needed. Unfortunately, it got it hopelessly wrong and in the process managed to kill off the UK's telephone manufacturing industry. Companies put so much effort into meeting the GPO's insane needs that they couldn't sell their kit to anyone else. 

I think your past experience may be blinkering your judgement in this case. BT have not decided they know better than anyone else or have their own 'flavour' of IPv6 as you seem to suggest in many other posts on IPv6.

BT's implementation of IPv6 is following current IETF standards and best practice recommendations for prefix length delegation as discussed in section 3.4.1 of RFC 7368 IPv6 Home Networking. This RFC states:

"Discussion of IPv6 prefix allocation policies is included in [RFC6177]. In practice, a homenet may receive an arbitrary length IPv6 prefix from its provider, e.g., /60, /56, or /48."

It then goes on to state:

"However, if, for example, only a /64 is offered by the ISP, the homenet may be severely constrained or even unable to function. BCP 157 [RFC6177] states the following:

A key principle for address management is that end sites always be able to obtain a reasonable amount of address space for their actual and planned usage, and over time ranges specified in years rather than just months. In practice, that means at least one /64, and in most cases significantly more. One particular situation that must be avoided is having an end site feel compelled to use IPv6-to-IPv6 Network Address Translation or other burdensome address conservation techniques because it could not get sufficient address space."

In this case BT are not the constraining factor as they are offering prefix length of /56 in their DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation. So whilst it can be seen that BT are following the aforementioned standards and offering prefix shorter that /64 as recommended, in this case Netgear are the constraint in wanting to continue to follow the recommendations of the superseded RFC3177, dated September 2001.

Regards

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7