Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Inconsistant connection status on D7800

Valis
Tutor

Inconsistant connection status on D7800

I've been running this D7800 for about ten days now. After the first two days, it started dropping the ADSL connection when underload, like downloading a very large file from the Internet. I logged a call with my ISP (Spark in NZ) and they say they fixed something (I don't know what) and while it's better, it is still dropping the line under load. As the D7800 is new to me (bought used) it is suspect too. I upgraded the firmware from V1.0.1.28 to V1.0.1.56 the day before the dropouts started, but hadn't been running long on the old firmware either.

One oddity, the D7800 shows a different connection status on different screens. When the line has been dropped, on the Basic/Home tab, it will show in red that the status is bad and there is no Internet connection. But on the Advanced/Advanced Home tab, if I click Connection Status in the Internet Port window, it continues to show the status as 'connected', even after updating automatically every five seconds or so.

Question 1 - Is this normal, or might it be a sign of a D7800 fault?

Question 2 - Are their other useful diagnostics I can run to test whether the D7800 is operating correctly.

Thanks for any advice.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
Lovs2look
Tutor

Re: Inconsistant connection status on D7800

Hi Valis,

I too have a D7800 and the same thing happened to me but on ADSL (no NBN available where I live yet, but its coming) I bought mine brand new but its firmware was a couple versions behind so I updated it (as directed by the manual) and then started receiving drop outs. It kept reporting there was no internet connection. Initially it was every couple of days, then more frequently to every couple of hours. I searched the forums and saw quite a few users had the same issue. Eventually rolling back to the v22 firmware made it stable enough to use, so I'm a bit dubious about updating to the new v56. I will probably test it this coming weekend though and see how stable it is.

I've seen a lot of advice about resetting to factory defaults after a firmware flash, did you try that?

Other than that v22 seems to be the most stable for me at least, maybe going back a version or three might help.

Cheers,

Lovs2look

Message 2 of 4
Valis
Tutor

@Lovs2look wrote:

Hi Lovs2look,

Thanks for your response. I did do a factory reset after flashing firmware, but it made no difference. It ran fine for a few days on V28 before I went to V56, but it kept  dropping out after returning to V28. I never tried V22.

I have resolved my problem by returning the unit for a refund! It was in its last week of warranty, so I pulled the plug. I now need to find another option to invest in (my old router has been pressed back into service).

I wanted something that would do both ADSL and fibre, and run OpenWRT software. I'm having fibre installed, but it will be several weeks, so wanted to run the new unit on ADSL until the switch to fibre. Then once that settled down, I planned to try OpenWrt. I bought the D7800 because it does all these things and is rated very highly by the OpenWrt community. Maybe it doesn't drop out when running OpenWRT, but it's put me off the D7800 that so many seem to have this problem. So I plan to look a bit more and probably run my current router until the fibre arrives so the new one doesn't need to support ADSL. At the moment the Linksys WRT32X is looking good.

Good luck with your box.

Message 3 of 4
Lovs2look
Tutor

Yeah, I hear ya.

I believe the unit is of good hardware quality, which the specs reflect, but Netgear's firmware lets it down, which is a real shame. OpenWRT might work really well on it, I don't know as I haven't tested it. Mine's well beyond its warranty now, so if v56 firmware is still crap, I'll seriously look at flashing OpenWRT on to it.

Best of luck on your quest. I would say check the user forums before comitting to a purchase. I failed to do that with this unit and have a serious case of buyers remorse! But I also love to tinker so I'll keep my unit and see if I can't get it going properly. It's good knowing you have a backup unit in case of disaster. I too have my old TP-Link which was working just fine before I swapped it out. I was going to see if I could sell it, but its currently more valuable in peace of mind as a backup modem/router.

I think Linksys are pretty good (made by Cisco I think) so hopefully it'll just work for you.

Regards,

Lovs2look

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7