Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Incorrect password and Sky Q connectivity issues

AdaKer
Aspirant

Incorrect password and Sky Q connectivity issues

Hi guys,

First post here! I installed a D7000v2 to replace the Sky provided Sky Q hub. I was a bit nervous about the internet connecting but the internet doesn’t seem to be having a problem itself. What seems to be happening is the 2.4GHz network will periodically have an issue where the devices connected to it just lose connection. We both have iPads and we both get the message that the password is incorrect (normally we use 5GHz network, so only try connecting to it when there are issues).

As Sky Q uses the 2.4GHz network to connect to the internet it obviously causes issues with Sky when this happens. When I say periodically I would say there are issues every other day. Normally, I have to browse to the router (using the 5GHz network) and once I have logged into the router it sorts itself out. Sometimes though, the 5GHz also has issues connecting and I have to reboot the router itself. 

Is there a setting somewhere causing this? Could it be a DHCP lease issue?

Thanks

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Incorrect password and Sky Q connectivity issues

@AdaKer wrote:

Hi guys,

I installed a D7000v2 to replace the Sky provided Sky Q hub.

Does that mean that you relegated the Sky Q hub to the back of a cupboard? Or is it still doing something on the network?

I ask because of this bit:

As Sky Q uses the 2.4GHz network to connect to the internet it obviously causes issues with Sky when this happens.

Then there is this bit:

@AdaKer wrote:

What seems to be happening is the 2.4GHz network will periodically have an issue where the devices connected to it just lose connection. We both have iPads and we both get the message that the password is incorrect (normally we use 5GHz network, so only try connecting to it when there are issues).

Complaining about the wrong password may not be the same thing as losing connection.

What do the LEDs look like when the wifi goes down?

What firmware version do you have on the D7000?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

By the way, it may not matter, but you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

DSL Modems & Routers

No need to repost there, unless you want to – that will just clutter up the place with duplicated messages – but you might find advice related to your hardware.

Message 2 of 4
AdaKer
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. The Sky Hub has been turned off and indeed kept in the back of a cupboard for now. 

I am writing this on the mobile connection for the iPad because tonight both connections have dropped (2.4GHz & 5GHz) and both are saying incorrect passwords, now the Sky boxes have lost connection to the internet too.

At the moment I have disabled all LEDs apart from power, due to the router being in the hallway and lighting it up more than Blackpool at night, I will enable now though. Is there any logging that can be enabled to allow me to look through when the issue appears?

Back online now after a reboot, the firmware version is V1.0.0.56_1.0.1. When checking the software is up to date, it says it is but I guess that might be as accurate as I first thought.

Message 3 of 4

@AdaKer wrote:

Back online now after a reboot, the firmware version is V1.0.0.56_1.0.1. When checking the software is up to date, it says it is but I guess that might be as accurate as I first thought.

A couple of points there, it may or may not be up to date. The best way to check is on the support pages for the D7000. The "look for updates" thing can get it wrong.

Second point, the latest may not be the greatest. Newest firmware can wreak havoc which means that an older version may be better. But that's not usually an issue with modems, which get fewer updates than routers.

@AdaKer wrote:

At the moment I have disabled all LEDs apart from power, due to the router being in the hallway and lighting it up more than Blackpool at night, I will enable now though. Is there any logging that can be enabled to allow me to look through when the issue appears?

Not knowing what the LEDs is a bit of an obstacle, we don't know what is happening on the Internet connection and if the wifi goes off. Who knows if it is the router that is causing this or the wifi clients?

There is some logging in the modem/router. The manual will explain that.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

A first step when trying to fix this sort of thing is to factory reset the device and set it up from scratch. A nuisance, but that's what Netgear's techs will advise.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7