Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet not working - no ethernet cable plugged into the internet port

bilbowebuser
Tutor

Internet not working - no ethernet cable plugged into the internet port

Stupidly, this form doesn't allow me to select my model - It's the Nighthawk D7800 (which has built in DSL modem).

I've had it since April 2016, and it's been working fine until 1 week ago when the internet stopped working and in the basic interface it said there was no internet connection, when I click on details it says there is no ethernet cable plugged into the internet port.  The thing is, there isn't meant to be an ethernet cable plugged into the internet port, there never has been - because this model has a built in DSL modem and the telephone socket is connected to the DSL port.

If I go into advanced, I can see that the modem is still connected.  When I call my ISP they confirm that my modem is still connected.

I have reset the router back to factory settings and set it up again, which solved the problem temporarily (about 12 weeks) then the problem recurred.

The problem is this - the router is still under warranty, but because I'm beyond 90 days there seems to be no way to initiate getting a replacement without paying for premium telephone support (which I assume is illegal here in Europe).

So my question is - how to I get the router replaced without paying for premium support?

Message 1 of 12

Have you checked for new firmware?

D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

@bilbowebuser wrote:

So my question is - how to I get the router replaced without paying for premium support?

You don't need to pay for support to get a warranty replacement. That is a con perpetrated by Netgear's dubious telephone support system which seems to work on a bonus system for selling support.

Start the process on line in the support area. You may have to register your device if you haven't already.

Message 2 of 12
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Try upgrading the firmware if there is a new firmware for it and see if that solves that issue, if not I suggest get a replacement from Netgear as was stated earlier.

Message 3 of 12

@wcalifas831 wrote:

Try upgrading the firmware if there is a new firmware for it

The first message said this was bought in April 2016. The releases notes for the latest firmware are several months after that. So my guess is that there is fresh firmware, possibly several versions as the box was probably out of date when it arrived.

Message 4 of 12
bilbowebuser
Tutor

The router has the latest firmware.  It is registered.  When I try to arrange a warranty replacement it takes me to a page that says I need to call - then that leads me to a page giving UK support numbers, details of the 90 day complimentary telephone support and options of purchasing premium support.

I've hunted and hunted and not found any way of requesting a warranty replacement without phoning.

Message 5 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

I think you need an email address that the moderators can provide.  @ElaineM  @JamesGL

Message 6 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bilbowebuser It seems that you have already contacted support. Let us know if you still need help.  

Message 7 of 12
holylighter
Aspirant

I have got the same issure. What should I do???

Message 8 of 12

Try everything suggested so far.

But probably start a new discussion as it is easy for people to overlook things tagged on to the end of an ageing conversation.

Message 9 of 12
bilbowebuser
Tutor

Yes please, I still need help.  The replacement D7800 is still having the same problem.  I'm assuming it's related to the latest firmware update.

Message 10 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello bilbowebuser 

Have you tried to roll back to a older firmware to see if this issue still exists.

DarrenM

Message 11 of 12
bilbowebuser
Tutor

I did briefly, and saw that the issues with log time and QOS database updates work in older versions of the firmware.  However, I didn't leaving it running older versions long enough to see if this issue was present because I gather there are some serious security holes in previous firmware versions.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7