Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet unusable when certain device connects

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Internet unusable when certain device connects

So i bought the Nighthawk AC1900 recently and i have been having an issue with it since. 

When is happening is that when a certain device connects to the network it will cut the internet out untill that device is disconnected again. 

At first i assumed it was that device but I have since found out that the issue will occour to the device that set the modem up. e.g if i set my modem up connecting to it though my PCs wifi card that device will no longer be able to connect to the modem without breaking the internet. If i set up the modem using the ethernet cable on the PC now i cannot connect to the modem though the Internet cable and again if i set up the modem with a laptop now that laptop connot connect to the ineternet.

So basicly what ever device is used to connect to the modem on a first time setup will cause that device to no longer use the internet as it will stop all internet from working till its disconnected.

What is going on and how can i resolve this issue?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Internet unusable when certain device connects

Update: I claimed the modem under warrenty as i talking to Netgear support siad it would be a hardware issue but im still getting the same thing on the new modem. Whats going on? 

Message 2 of 10

Hi Thomas,

We'd like to help you, but will need you to answer / verifiy and few questions.

Who is your ISP?

What service do you have? DSL, Cable, ?

Do you in fact have a D7000 or another "AC1900" product?

Are there any other devices which are connected (in front or behind the problem device)?

The D7000 is a DSL modem/router combo.  AC1900 is speed designation (which applies to more than one product/manufacturer).  We need some clarification on this. 

If only one device will connect at a time, please review the DHCP settings and ensure the pool of addresses is set to something more than 1.  The more information you provide to us, the easier it will be for someone to assist you.

Message 3 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My ISP is Telsta

My Service is NBN

Yes it is a D7000 AC1900 Nighthawk VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Im unsure what you mean by infont or behind the problem device but we have around 5 devices at max that are connected at one time all throught WiFi. 

Ill try to explain better on what is going on so but this is basically it:

I need to set up the modem as its the first time using the modem. I run the setup genie and it does its work, but after the setup genie is done even tho the modem has all white lights (apart from the ethernet lights that are not being used and USB lights) the computer does not have internet.

After this i connect the other devices to see if they have internet and they do not.

I dicconnect the computer that set up the modem from the network

I look at the other devices and the internet is now working on them.

If i connect the computer that set up the modem the internet will stop working on all devices including that computer untill disconnected again.

If i factory reset the modem and set the modem up on a new computer the new computer will be the one with the issue so it cannot be something wrong with the computer itself as any computer will have the issue if that computer was the one that set the modem up.

its an odd issue and i dont know if i can explain it any better.

Message 4 of 10

@Retired_Member wrote:

My ISP is Telsta

My Service is NBN

Which flavour of NBN?

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

While Netgear lists all manner of things as being "compatible" with NBN in that article, in reality this often means that the device will work as a router. You have to bypass the modem bit and use something else as a modem.

It is a pity that Netgear does not make that clearer in its advice to NBN users. It might prevent people from wasting money on an incompatible modem router. They would be better off buying a simple router and using whatever modem their ISP provides, or buying one suitable for their Internet service.

Message 5 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Its  FTTN

But i dont think you understand my issue, the device IS compatiable with NBN other wise i would not be getting internet at all but as i have stated the Internet does work unless the device that set the modem up connects. If that device connects all internet stop untill it discconnects. 

Its not a problem with the NBN its not a problem with the computer its an issue with how the Modem steps its self up causing it to freak out when the device that first set the modem up to crash the network when it connects.

Message 6 of 10

@Retired_Member wrote:

Its  FTTN

But i dont think you understand my issue, the device IS compatiable with NBN other wise i would not be getting internet at all but as i have stated the Internet does work unless the device that set the modem up connects.

Oh, I understand what you are saying, but unlike you I have jumped to no conclusions and wanted to try to understand what is happening. You seem to have reached your conclusions about what is going on.

I have various possible interpretations, but without proper details we are all left guessing. Heaven only knows what you mean by this bit:

@Retired_Member wrote:

.... how the Modem steps its self up ...

What is that all about? "steps itself up?

And can you explain this bit?

@Retired_Member wrote:

....the device that set the modem up connects. If that device connects all internet stop untill it discconnects. 

What symptoms do you see when "it disconnects"? Any error messages? Does the Internet LED go off?

Just saying that the internet stops is not much diagnostic help.

You seem to be paying all your attention to the modem/router rather than the rest of the network.

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Would like to say sorry as my last message did come off a bit aggressive I am just annoyed that I have to deal with this is all.

But I’m at that conclusion as I have already been down many paths on what could be causing the issue.

But to answer your question. No lights go out on the modem, I get no error message apart from all my devices losing internet (as some might say “no internet available”)

It’s has got me extremely confused as I really haven’t been able to get much information about what’s going on apart from me troubleshooting it down to the communication between the modem and the device that set the modem up.

And for me saying “steps it’s self up” is a typo I mean to say “set up”
Message 8 of 10

@Retired_Member wrote:
But to answer your question. No lights go out on the modem, I get no error message apart from all my devices losing internet (as some might say “no internet available”)

Again, that tells us very little.

Wifi devices will either not see the wifi SSID or will report some sort of connection error.

Wired devices will, if they are Windows, show a network error. (They don't usually complain “no internet available”.) This is often down to Windows trying to protect users from nasties. They do this by treating the network as a public network, when it should be a private network.

Then there is the possibility that somewhere on your network you have a device that fights with your D7000 to manage network addresses.

@shadowsports hinted at this earlier with the reference to DHCP settings.

The reason for pointing this out is to show you that a network is a network. The devices on it can behave in many different ways. So banging on about the router just takes you down the wrong road.

So far, all you have done is complained about your modem/router with little attempt to troubleshoot the whole network. Nor have you provided much detail of what is on your network.

Message 9 of 10

Greetings,
Sorry I've been unavailable, but @michaelkenward is on the right track.

@Retired_Member, what do you know about your NBN service? If you didn't have a Netgear product, what does the ISP provide for in home connection? We understand you have an analog jack on the wall. Is there another device in the garage, or somewhere else in the building that supplies service to this analog connection in your living space? This is what I was referring to "devices in front or behind" of your Netgear device.
I was attempting to ascertain if there is another piece of hardware that might be performing NAT, DHCP or some level of routing. This is not known. We do know that the port provides at least one IP. This is being supplied to the Netgear D7000. If the ISP or another device upstream is providing routing or DHCP your device cannot bet configured to provide this as well.

The D700 should be able to use a single address to communicate with the ISP. Then supply your local LAN (wired or wireless) devices there own IP addresses. But you need to know, what is being provided to you in order to configure the D7000 correctly.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7