Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 Compatible with Ninestar Fiber Broadband?

HamOperator
Aspirant

Is Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 Compatible with Ninestar Fiber Broadband?

I own a D7000 (DSL version of the R7000) Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router.  We currently subscribe to CenturyLink DSL (10 MBps is fastet speed available in our neighborhood). Limited on bandwidth by our provider (for streaming video), the router otherwise does a great job. This week, we learned that broadband fiber (75 MBps would soon be available in our neighborhood.  The service will be provided by Johnson County Fiber Network (our local affiliate) which appears to be affiliated with Ninestar Communications.  To connect to the fiber service, they inform that model 844 Wireless Router (provided by Ninestar) would be installed at a lease rate of $12/mo. See attached.  I'm wondering whether my current NetGear D7000  WiFi router will be compatible??????

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: Is Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 Compatible with Ninestar Fiber Broadband?

> [...] See attached.

o No modem is necessary, all that the computer needs is a Network
      Interface Card (NIC) which has become a standard in computers
      since 2000.

To me, that suggests that any router should work.  Did you ask them
what's actually required?

Message 2 of 5
HamOperator
Aspirant

I asked, but the lady I was speaking with was non-technical and couldn't answer most of my questions. There were no techicians on staff/available today to ask.  Will get my answers, but might take a few days.      

Message 3 of 5
tominwi
Luminary

They sure don't make it easy to find out about the 844; to download the datasheet from Calix requires a Login fer cryan out loud!? Anyway I was able to find this:

https://www.searanchconnect.org/pdf/Calix_844G_UG.pdf

I guess if I were in your situation I would be inclined to go with that device given it is a new service, and if you have any issues at all with it their tech support is not going to want to help you if you cobble the D7000 to it somehow.

Message 4 of 5

@HamOperator wrote:

I'm wondering whether my current NetGear D7000  WiFi router will be compatible??????

Unlikely, cable and DSL are very different technologies, but you might be able to use the D7000 in router mode.

There is support for the D7000, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See the section Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service.

Then it is a case of working out what you need to connect you to the new service. Where possible, avoid renting anything from the Internet service provider, any ISP, it is generally rubbish. If you need a modem, see if they have a list of compatible devices and look for something that is a modem and nothing else, no modem/routers. Unless you want to ditch the D7000 or turn it into a wireless access point to improve your local wifi.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7