Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is it required for me to buy a modem and wifi router?

MaldonadoEJ
Aspirant

Is it required for me to buy a modem and wifi router?

I am wondering if I need a DSL or Cable Modem for to connect with the internet? I am currently still thinking to buy the new NightHawk WiFi Router and I am guessing if I need a new modem to my new NightHawk wifi to connect wifi. I'm not sure if I need one or not. I want a specific, professional answer with details about modem and wifi routers differences please and thank you. 🙂
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

@MaldonadoEJ wrote:
My point is, is it required to buy a modem to connect the internet/WiFi with the WiFi router?

We all need something to connect us to the internet. But what the box we use to do it depends on the sort of internet that you sign up for.

Some of us get internet over the telephone system using a service called DSL. Other gets it through a dedicated cable into the building. Really flashy service come with an optical fibre to the front door. There are even some people who have a satellite link. Some people use a mobile phone network. All of these need different "front end" hardware.

So you'll have to work out what sort of service local internet companies provide in your area. When you know that you can start looking for a modem. You might even find that the Internet service provider (ISP) "gives" you a modem for its service.

Most makers of network kit sell devices that combine modem and router functions in a box that delivers wifi and local wired connections.

The combined modem/router is easier to set up, but some people like to have separate modems and routers. Then we can get a better router with more features. Then we buy a basic modem that has none of the bells and whistles it takes to deliver local wifi and network access.

A good place to start is with the neighbours. If you can find someone with internet access, ask then what they use. Then take things from there. But check to see how many companies offer internet services in your area. You may have a choice.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I am wondering if I need a DSL or Cable Modem for to connect with the
> internet? [...]

You probably need _something_, but what that should be depends on the
service which your Internet Service Provider (ISP) provides.

> [...] I am guessing if I need a new modem to my new NightHawk wifi to
> connect wifi. [...]

Do you have an _old_ modem?  Do you currently have an ISP or a
router, or are you starting from nothing?

> [...] I'm not sure if I need one or not. [...]

Same here.

> [...] I want a specific, professional answer [...]

Then you should start with a clear, specific description of what you
have now, and what you want to do next.

> [...] with details about modem and wifi routers differences [...]

If you want a complete explanation of the Internet, and how to get
connected to it, then a forum like this may not be the best place to
begin.  For example, no one here knows where you are, nor which ISPs
serve your region, nor anything else about your situation, requirements,
budget, ...

Message 2 of 6
MaldonadoEJ
Aspirant

My point is, is it required to buy a modem to connect the internet/WiFi with the WiFi router?
Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> My point is, is it required to buy a modem to connect the
> internet/WiFi with the WiFi router?

My point is that your question makes no sense.  I don't know what
"the internet/WiFi" means to you.  It might help if you answered my
questions instead of asking more of yours.

Message 4 of 6

@MaldonadoEJ wrote:

We all need something to connect us to the internet. But what the box we use to do it depends on the sort of internet that you sign up for.

Some of us get internet over the telephone system using a service called DSL. Other gets it through a dedicated cable into the building. Really flashy service come with an optical fibre to the front door. There are even some people who have a satellite link. Some people use a mobile phone network. All of these need different "front end" hardware.

So you'll have to work out what sort of service local internet companies provide in your area. When you know that you can start looking for a modem. You might even find that the Internet service provider (ISP) "gives" you a modem for its service.

Most makers of network kit sell devices that combine modem and router functions in a box that delivers wifi and local wired connections.

The combined modem/router is easier to set up, but some people like to have separate modems and routers. Then we can get a better router with more features. Then we buy a basic modem that has none of the bells and whistles it takes to deliver local wifi and network access.

A good place to start is with the neighbours. If you can find someone with internet access, ask then what they use. Then take things from there. But check to see how many companies offer internet services in your area. You may have a choice.

Message 5 of 6
MaldonadoEJ
Aspirant

Thanks, this really helped me out to your respectful response. I will figure the rest out, I just needed a headstart to begin with. Thanks again. 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7