Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is my Nighthawk D7000 impacted by KRACK?

ruzicka
Apprentice

Is my Nighthawk D7000 impacted by KRACK?

I just wanted to get some sort of verification as to whether or not my Nighthawk D7000 DSL modem/router is impacted by KRACK?  I assume it is, but thus far I don't see any NETGEAR patches for it.

Is it too "old" for NETGEAR to support it with a KRACK patch?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Message 2 of 19
ruzicka
Apprentice

Yes, I saw that article.  However, the D7000 is not listed.  Does this mean that the D7000 is completely safe from the KRACK vulnerability?  That seems hard to believe since I've read that practically all W-Fi devices are vulnerable.

Message 3 of 19

@ruzicka wrote:

...I've read that practically all W-Fi devices are vulnerable.

As I read it is all wifi client devices. Your modem is a wifi source, unless you change its mode.

Message 4 of 19
ruzicka
Apprentice

Hmmm...not sure I understand the difference.  How do I check what "mode" it's set to?

The D7000 is a combined router/modem.

Message 5 of 19

If you don't know, then I doubt if you changed it. If it is also the only device on your network it is unlikely to be in bridge mode.

There is a manual for the D7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 201.

If you are seriously worried about wifi security, then your best bet might be to wrap all your wifi clients in tinfoil. That's where the problem lies.

Message 6 of 19
ruzicka
Apprentice

So what is the difference between "client" and "source", when it comes to a router/modem?

Message 7 of 19

Your router is the source of the wifi that your tablets, phones and other wifi devices latch on to as clients.

Message 8 of 19
ruzicka
Apprentice

Okay, so since other Netgear routers (sources) are considered vulnerable, I would have to assume that my D7000 is as well, despite it not being on the current Netgear list.

Message 9 of 19
w3wilkes
Prodigy

In the Netgear linked article in a prior post in this thread it says that the routers are only vulnerable if running in bridge mode. As long as you're not runing bridge mode using your router as a WiFi extender client you should be safe.

Message 10 of 19
ruzicka
Apprentice

Okay, fair enough.

Now if I could only verify whether or not mine is set to bridge mode.

Message 11 of 19

You have to positively set out to turn a modem into bridge mode. If you don't remember doing it, it probably won't be.

More to the point, bridge mode does what it says. It turns the modem/router into a bridge with another device. So, do you have something else on the network? Another router?

There is a manual for the D7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

According to this (see page 52) for the D7000 "This setting is an option that applies to the IPTV interface only."

Page 202 will show you how to check the status of your device.

Wifi repeaters are also implicated in this vulnerability, but your device doesn't offer that feature.

Message 12 of 19
ruzicka
Apprentice

Okay, yes, it looks like it isn't in bridge mode.  Still set up in devices as router+modem.

Thank you for the help!

Message 13 of 19

Time to start worrying about your tablets and mobile phones. They are at much greater risk.

Message 14 of 19
ruzicka
Apprentice

My tablets and laptops all use Windows, and I am told that the latest Windows updates patched the vulnerability.

My Android phones though are another matter.  Trying to use a good VPN app on them when away from home.

Message 15 of 19
alexxmc77
Guide

I AGREE! Please provide update on Krack for Nighthawk D7000
Message 16 of 19
alexxmc77
Guide

After speaking to NETGEAR,
D7000 is vulnerable however, an update is on the way, as well as for other routers

I say keep messaging them, the more messages about it, the faster they may update it
Message 17 of 19
alexxmc77
Guide

True

That being said, if the NETGEAR D7000 is the source of your internet (in other words, can not connect to internet without
It), then it is source and vulnerable

Find the email contact for NETGEAR and bother them until they fix
Message 18 of 19

@alexxmc77 wrote:

That being said, if the NETGEAR D7000 is the source of your internet (in other words, can not connect to internet without
It), then it is source and vulnerable

The D7000 is vulnerable only if you put it into bridge mode. As a modem, it is not open to KRACK attack.

Security Advisory for WPA-2 Vulnerabilities, PSV-2017-2826, PSV-2017-2836, PSV-2017-2837 | Answer | ...

If you are worried about this security issue, then you need to pester all of the people who make your wifi clients to do something. As @ruzicka suggests the truly paranoid will not use their mobile phones or tablets until they are fixed.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7