Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is the NETGEAR DGND3700v2 modem VDSL compatable?

JuliePorter
Follower

Is the NETGEAR DGND3700v2 modem VDSL compatable?

I have been using a NETGEAR DGND3700v2 – N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router for quite a while now with an ADSL line connected through the ADSL port.

We are now undergoing a forced upgrade and the modem must be VDSL compatable.

I will need to connect to the modem via the Ethernet/WAN port.

If not, I guess I need to buy another modem.

But if so, does it need to be re-configured in any way?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

You might get more help on the DSL forum where there's members that use it more. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Message 2 of 6
ageinghack
Tutor

Message 3 of 6

@JuliePorter wrote:

I will need to connect to the modem via the Ethernet/WAN port.

If not, I guess I need to buy another modem.

But if so, does it need to be re-configured in any way?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

The answer is No.

But that is not the only bit of ancient spec in this device. According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer Internet services and most modern network hardware.

This device dates from 2013, based on a model that first appeared in 2011.

Before buying a replacement, check that it supports the VDSL implementation used by your ISP. Some ISPs in Australia have broken the VDSL on some Netgear routers.

Message 4 of 6
w3wilkes
Prodigy

NO, the DGND3700v2 does not support VDSL. A DGND3700v1 with the richud 3rd party firmware does support VDSL. Also a D7000v2 will support VDSL, but you'll have to deal with the router locking up and requiring a reboot to get back online. My experience with the D7000v2 is best case I've gone about 3 days without a lockup... UN-ACCEPTABLE in my opinion. Another thing you don't mention is the VDSL going to be "bonded pair"? If so, Netgear had no devices that support "bonded pair". "Bonded pair" is a 4 wire physical layer.

You don't say where you are in the world? xDSL of any flavor in the US you'll be pretty much restricted to whatever modem - modem/router the ISP provides as the only option from Netgear and others is the used marked for VDSL capable devices.

If you're in Europe ASUS has modem/routers that are VDSL capable. ASUS even provides support for their modem/routers, a foriegn concept to Netgear and consumer grade devices.

Message 5 of 6

@w3wilkes wrote:

You don't say where you are in the world?

This is important. Australians on NBN are currently grappling with changes in how VDSL gets to them.

Experienced users like to go for a separate modem so that they can pick a router that meets their needs. The are many more options on that front. Anything would be better then the ancient DGND3700v2.

The ideal DSL modem from Netgear is the DM200.

The bad news is that Netgear, and most other brands, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem-only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. But the prices are getting silly. You may be able to find a second-hand one. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. It looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7