Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with a D1500 after unplugging

Arrun_H
Aspirant

Issues with a D1500 after unplugging

So, as my title quite plainly states. I have a D1500 that up until today has been working as a slave perfectly fine. I had it broadcasting an SSID repeater off of the router in my front room.

I unplugged it to move it to a new extension lead (literally just the power) and now the hunk of scrap as decided to forget all of it's settings.

All lights off, internet light will flash every 10(give or take) seconds. no active IP output (ran a scanner on my network) I had a static IP assigned to it of 192.168.0.127, no luck, i tried 1.1 no luck (as said, I've already run a trace on my network and theirs no active IP's being broadcast by any netgear devices (or unknowns etc.)

I have already tried pressing factory reset for 5, 7, 30 and over a minute, nothing happens, i tried disconnecting all cables while holding reset, nothing, tried replacing power while holding reset, nothing.

Anyone reccomend anything I might have missed or is this a good excuse for me to get rid of this PoS?

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the DSL modem forum:

Thank you. 

@Arrun_H wrote:

So, as my title quite plainly states. I have a D1500 that up until today has been working as a slave perfectly fine. I had it broadcasting an SSID repeater off of the router in my front room.

I unplugged it to move it to a new extension lead (literally just the power) and now the hunk of scrap as decided to forget all of it's settings.

All lights off, internet light will flash every 10(give or take) seconds. no active IP output (ran a scanner on my network) I had a static IP assigned to it of 192.168.0.127, no luck, i tried 1.1 no luck (as said, I've already run a trace on my network and theirs no active IP's being broadcast by any netgear devices (or unknowns etc.)

I have already tried pressing factory reset for 5, 7, 30 and over a minute, nothing happens, i tried disconnecting all cables while holding reset, nothing, tried replacing power while holding reset, nothing.

Anyone reccomend anything I might have missed or is this a good excuse for me to get rid of this PoS?

Message 2 of 9

@Arrun_H wrote:

Can you explain how this was set up?

"Slave" could mean many things. It isn't a word that appears in the manual.

Do you mean it was running as a wireless repeater?

@Arrun_H wrote:

I have already tried pressing factory reset for 5, 7, 30 and over a minute, nothing happens....

What do you expect to happen?

Doing a full reset means that it is back to factory settings. You'll need to set it up from scratch, as per the manual.

What do the LEDs look like? All as expected?

There is a manual for the D1500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D1500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 3 of 9
Arrun_H
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, my slave I mean it was a repeater, had DHCP turned off, I split the IP range in half (so .2-126 was in the front of the house and 127-254 was in the other half of the house to stop any conflicts) I then had it broadcasting an SSID while also having my desktop wired in via C5e.

What I expected to happen after I pressed the reset button was something more than what did, which was nothing!

Turning the power On all I got was the 'internet' light flash every 5 or so seconds, all other lights were off. I tried 2 different power supplies (even though I knew it wasn't the power as the net light wouldn't be on workout power)
Message 4 of 9

@Arrun_H wrote:

What I expected to happen after I pressed the reset button was something more than what did, which was nothing!

The "hole in the back" reset does not do anything dramatic. A few lights flash on the front but that is it.

Having reset the device, you should connect it, and nothing else, to a PC and go into the browser graphical user interface to make the changes you need to the settings. Then you can go through the usual process of restarting the network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

As you are using the D1500 modem/router as a repeater, it might help if you told people what else is on the network, the modem and router, for example.

Message 5 of 9
Arrun_H
Aspirant

"The "hole in the back" reset does not do anything dramatic. A few lights flash on the front but that is it."

That's the problem though, as said, I held the button for over a minute and literally no change happens, nothing extra flashes...

In terms of my full network: I have the DSL filter from the phone socket into the stock sky home hub > C5e cable into the router (D1500) > C5e into my desktop.

As mentioned, prior to this happening, I had all lights on power: solid ethernet 1 and 2: flash every so often due to data traffic) internet was on solid.

I'll give what you've said a try when I get home, thank you for the support on this!
Message 6 of 9

@Arrun_H wrote:

In terms of my full network: I have the DSL filter from the phone socket into the stock sky home hub > C5e cable into the router (D1500) > C5e into my desktop.

That does not make sense to me.

You said earlier that you were using the D1500, which is a modem/router and not a simple router, as a repeater.

If the D1500 is wired to your Sky home hub, which is also a modem/router, then the D1500 is not working as a wireless repeater, it is a WiFi Access point.

To make that happen, look in the manual for WAN Setup.

The D1500 is not one of those devices that Netgear advises on you to use it as an Access Point. That doesn't mean that it won't work. You've done that already. It just means that you have to set it up properly.

The problem is that is whatever Sky home hub you have – several boxes get that moniker – may complicate the issue. Many devices will not let you use them in "modem only" mode. The router is always on.

Message 7 of 9
Arrun_H
Aspirant

It was both repeating the wireless (so acting as an AP) while also giving 1 dedicated throughput into my PC.

Long and short of it, the piece of junk isn't working how it should anymore and the reset button doesn't reset diddlysquat on it.

I did everything explained in the prior comment and even went through the manual but I'm having no luck what so ever with it.

The good news is, it's not in about 50+ different pieces and got turned into jewellery but more importantly the bandwith issue isn't anything to do with my network situations! it's actually my desktop that for some reason is now only pulling sub 20Mpbs and yet i plug the very same cable into my laptop and i get 70+Mbps which says to me something's wrong with my Dekstop!~

As this is the case - I'm closing this. Cheers for all the help everyone.

P.S

I tested the interals for an eletrical output, the botherboard was fried... the power outage clearly surged it past the point of revival...

Message 8 of 9

@Arrun_H wrote:

It was both repeating the wireless (so acting as an AP)

For the benefit of anyone else who turns up here, the D1500 in this scenario was not "repeating the wireless". As an AP it was delivering WiFi on the basis of its wired LAN connection to  your modem/router.

A device acting as a wifi repeater is not the same thing as a WiFi access point.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7