Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lag when gaming and streaming netflix

Electricturd
Aspirant

Lag when gaming and streaming netflix

I currently have the 3700v3 with a 20/2 u/d connection. My wife and I bought a smart tv for us in the bedroom for christmas. I have noticed since buying that tv when she is streaming netflix over wifi I get really bad lag on the xbox one in the living room. I have the xbox hard wired to the router. It seems like from running a speed test that netflix is using ALL of the bandwidth which I know is not need for HD video. I'm trying to decide on how to address this situation. I have noticed that this router only has upstream QOS which i believe is pointless. I'm wondering if I buy the Netgear R7000 with up and down qos I can fix this situation by allocating bandwidth accordingly. If not that does anyone have any alternate solutions?

Message 1 of 3
fordem
Mentor

First - Netflix has a playback setting that you can set on their webpage that controls the video "quality", and through that the bandwidth required - 0.3 Gb/hour, 0.7 GB/hour or the highest 3 Gb/hour for HD & 7 Gb/hour for UltraHD - take a look at it, it may solve your problem. Second - I'm not certain how effective downstream QoS will be - your router is at the "downstream" end of the ISP connection, so by the time you can control what's passing through that link, it is already on the link - you can however control upstream QoS, by changing the "queuing order" of the data being transmitted. Also worthy of consideration - your upstream link speed is usually significantly lower than your downstream link speed, meaning that you're more likely to need QoS there, and what MAY be affecting your downstream speeds is congestion on the upstream link, the data coming down in most cases has to be acknowledge as received, if not, it will be assumed lost and retransmitted, slow acknowledgement leads to reduced transfer rates.
Message 2 of 3
Electricturd
Aspirant

The TV in the bedroom hasn't been added to the QoS list yet. Should I try to add that with a lower priority than the Xbox? I have also adjusted the video settings on the netlfix site but it does seem to have any effect on the TV. Either way it streams HD. So basically a newer and faster router wouldn't help? I was thinking of trying the r7000.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7