Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Logging into a dgn2200v3 after reset

Fanie1944
Follower

Logging into a dgn2200v3 after reset

Hi Everyone

Resently moved from ADSL to Fibre but new router does not have many LAN ports nor USB.

So am trying tp connect the Netgear DGN2200v3 to the new router via a LAN cable.

Could not log into the Netgear to set it up and did a hard reset.

Initially I could get into the router setup and changed various parameters as per guidance found on the Internet. When told to save the changes, I was asked to log in as part of the confirmation process. Tried the various combinations as per the old manual and various web sites, but no success.

Then did a new reset and since then am asked to login when I access the router via 192.168.0.1 but sofar no success with the various recommended user names and passwords.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Fanie

Model: DGN2200v3|Wireless-N 300 Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Logging into a dgn2200v3 after reset

The DGN2200v3 is a DSL modem/router. If you already have a router, then the only use for the DGN2200v3 is probably as a wireless access point. The modem bit is useless and putting two routers on the network is a recipe for pain.

@Fanie1944 wrote:

Initially I could get into the router setup and changed various parameters as per guidance found on the Internet.

Only you know what you "found on the Internet" and how you configured the DGN2200v3. Whatever you did should have broken the ability to access the router via 192.168.0.1. That won't work in AP mode. Indeed, that's the idea.

I suggest searching for advice on how to repurpose a modem/router as an access point. Newer hardware has that as a  built in feature.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother. The original DGN2200 dates back to 2010. According to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer Internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX. And no 5GHz wifi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Logging into a dgn2200v3 after reset

The DGN2200v3 is a DSL modem/router. If you already have a router, then the only use for the DGN2200v3 is probably as a wireless access point. The modem bit is useless and putting two routers on the network is a recipe for pain.

@Fanie1944 wrote:

Initially I could get into the router setup and changed various parameters as per guidance found on the Internet.

Only you know what you "found on the Internet" and how you configured the DGN2200v3. Whatever you did should have broken the ability to access the router via 192.168.0.1. That won't work in AP mode. Indeed, that's the idea.

I suggest searching for advice on how to repurpose a modem/router as an access point. Newer hardware has that as a  built in feature.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother. The original DGN2200 dates back to 2010. According to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer Internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX. And no 5GHz wifi.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7