Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for advice re Wireless Access point

mykwyn
Aspirant

Looking for advice re Wireless Access point

Hi all,

I currently have internet via a provider supplied ADSL modem router (upstairs) this is connected via Cat6 cable to a GB network switch downstairs, which is hardwired to to various components (PS4, media PC, TV etc) I would like to replace the switch with something that does the same job, but also provides a strong wifi connection, my house is quite old and has solid stone walls so a powerful signal is a must.
What is my best option? Also we are about to get fibre broadband (allegedly) so I would like something which will continue to work if I upgrade to fibre if possible.

Thanks  Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Looking for advice re Wireless Access point

You have a few options.  Pick one.

1. You can keep your switch and plug in any range extender that supports Access Point mode.  All but 3 of Netgear's range extenders will work (avoid the EX6120, EX2700 and WN2500RP).  Check the online manuals over at support.netgear.com to be sure.
  2. Replace the switch with an EX7000 range extender and enable Access Point mode.
  3. Replace the switch with any Wi-Fi router.  Those that have an Access Point mode setting will be the easiest to set up.  Those that don't can still be set up with a little more work (i.e. disable the DHCP server, set it to use a static IP address and connect it via one of its LAN ports; do not use the WAN port). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You have a few options.  Pick one.

1. You can keep your switch and plug in any range extender that supports Access Point mode.  All but 3 of Netgear's range extenders will work (avoid the EX6120, EX2700 and WN2500RP).  Check the online manuals over at support.netgear.com to be sure.
  2. Replace the switch with an EX7000 range extender and enable Access Point mode.
  3. Replace the switch with any Wi-Fi router.  Those that have an Access Point mode setting will be the easiest to set up.  Those that don't can still be set up with a little more work (i.e. disable the DHCP server, set it to use a static IP address and connect it via one of its LAN ports; do not use the WAN port). 
Message 2 of 5
mykwyn
Aspirant

Thanks for that, so if I go for the EX7000 in access point mode It will connect via the ethernet cable rather than over the existing very poor wifi?

Also the manual gives instructions such as

"Use a WiFi network manager on the computer or WiFi device to connect to the new access
point WiFi network."

How would one do that? Is a "WiFi network manager" included with the device?
Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

@mykwyn wrote:

Thanks for that, so if I go for the EX7000 in access point mode It will connect via the ethernet cable rather than over the existing very poor wifi?

Correct.

Also the manual gives instructions such as

"Use a WiFi network manager on the computer or WiFi device to connect to the new access
point WiFi network."

How would one do that? Is a "WiFi network manager" included with the device?

Yes, it's the interface you use to join a Wi-Fi network on the device. 

Message 4 of 5
mykwyn
Aspirant

Thanks, I shall order one then  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements