Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Media Server Feature

Bert542
Novice

Media Server Feature

I have recently bought the DGND3700v2 and like others on this forum liked the DLNA Media Server feature. I too continue to have problems with it.
Can anyone honestly tell me they have a USB drive connected, have checked the Enable Media Server checkbox and it is operating ok?
Because I think it is a problem which has never been fixed since v1.:confused:

By the way, I have listed this case with Support and have been sent another replacement unit which has the same problem.
And waiting on another reply from them.
Thanks
Bert542

Message 1 of 6
huhugrub
Aspirant

Re: Media Server Feature

The problem is with the indexing of the media. Basically the router runs out of memory before finishing the indexing and reboots. So you can only have small number of files share over DLNA .... which makes this feature on this router complete useless.... so basically a marketing ploy to sell more products on a feature that does actually full work.
Message 2 of 6
Bert542
Novice

I have asked the Netgear expert to actually connect one of these units themself and check it does what they claim it does.
Originally I thought it was because I was using a USB 3.0 HDD and the higher power rating was causing the rapid overheating that I could feel towards the lower back of the router. But I tried several different devices including USB 2.0 Flash drives and had the same result.
What you say makes sense, because I managed to keep the router operating for almost 5minutes with only 1 photo on the drive to share. As soon as I added a 2 min video and dozen photos ..... shutdown time!!
I will post back on here if I arrive at a solution.:rolleyes:
Thanks
Message 3 of 6
AustinTom
Aspirant

I agree that the media server functionality only works for a small number of files. I recently decided to use the feature with a WNDR4000 router with the latest firmware. It works fine as NAS and I am ripping my whole CD collection to a USB drive attached to the WNDR4000. However it only takes 8 minutes for the indexing function to crash and it has only indexed a small fraction of the disk at that point. It doesn't matter how many times I delete the .readyDLNA folder and start over, it dies after about 8 minutes. It is inexcusable to run out of memory for indexing unless the disk is actually near filled because the disk can function as virtual memory for the indexing function. The DLNA media server functionality is simply misrepresented, possibly fraudulently so. It looks like I will have to attach the disk to an always-on PC and use it as a DLNA media server. Very disappointing.
Message 4 of 6
cfm56
Aspirant

Ive been having the same issue. The DLNA just crashes the router. Its a pointless broken feature.

Do you think under your countries consumer laws it could be returned as fault?
Message 5 of 6
LShack
Initiate

wow I am very disappointed. I will keep troubleshooting then try a return. WOW people!!!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7