Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

More than one Modem/Router

Lellydw
Aspirant

More than one Modem/Router

Hi everyone

Netgear N300 - DGN2200v4 not sure what firmware.

New to this forum so would ask for your patience please.  I have a Technicolour TG799vac modem/router supplied by my ISP which uses PPoE protocol and am trying to attach a VPN router but have been advised to use an interim router Netgear N300 which should change the protocol to DCHP for a static IP address.  My problem is that when I connect the Netgear to the TG799 I do not get any internet access which means it will not connect to the VPN router.

Do I need to change some of the Netgear settings to enable the internet to come through?

Has anybody else had this problem?

I did contact Telstra but they were not that helpful unless I want to use one of their technicians at $240, who may or may not be able to solve my problem.

Assistance would be much appreciated.

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: More than one Modem/Router

The DGN2200v4 is a modem/router. It will fight with your existing modem for control of the network and access to the Internet.

You may have to change the settings on the ISP's modem (look for references to bridge mode) and on the DGN2200v4.

When you connect the DGN2200v4, remember to connect from the modem to its  WAN Internet port.

There is a manual for the DGN2200v4 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> DGN2200v4 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 11.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

The DGN2200v4 is a modem/router. It will fight with your existing modem for control of the network and access to the Internet.

You may have to change the settings on the ISP's modem (look for references to bridge mode) and on the DGN2200v4.

When you connect the DGN2200v4, remember to connect from the modem to its  WAN Internet port.

There is a manual for the DGN2200v4 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> DGN2200v4 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 11.

Message 2 of 6
Lellydw
Aspirant

Hi Michaelkenward

Since posting my question I have updated the router to Firmware 1.0.0.90_1.0.90, and found that it uses connection type PPPoA rather than PPPoE, will this make a difference?

Do I need to switch of the wifi on the ISP router as well as putting it into bridge mode?

Thanks Lellydw

Model: DGN2200v4|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 3 of 6

@Lellydw wrote:

Hi Michaelkenward

Since posting my question I have updated the router to Firmware 1.0.0.90_1.0.90, and found that it uses connection type PPPoA rather than PPPoE, will this make a difference?

It is the Internet service provider that sets PPPoA or PPPoE. You have to tell the modem to use that. As you will not be using the DGN2200v4 as a modem, it is not relevant.

It makes no difference to my previous answer. If you want to use the DGN2200v4 as a partner to an existing router, you have to set it up properly. This means disabling, or bypassing, its modem and disabling its router.

I am not sure that I follow this bit:

"trying to attach a VPN router but have been advised to use an interim router"

Does that mean that you want to add as "VPN router" whatever that is, and you have been told to put the DGN2200v4 between it and the modem?

If so, that sound too complicated. Why not connect the VPN router to the modem.

Then work out how to make the modem work in modem only (or bridge) mode, or how to make the VPN router work in access point (AP) mode, as long as that does not disable its VPN bit.

The reference to "should change the protocol to DCHP for a static IP address" is also confusing. They are probably saying the same thing as I am about avoiding having two clashing routers. That means turning off the DHCP on the second router, which would make it into an Access Point with its own IP address.

You will have to look at the settings in the Technicolour TG799vac modem/router to see if you can get it to play nicely with a second device.

Message 4 of 6
Lellydw
Aspirant

Hi Michael

Many thanks for your solution, but I did experience problems trying to bridge the DGN2200v4/N300 so I purchased a Netgear DM200 Broadband DSL modem.  I had to go in and change the configuration to modem only.  Then plugged in my VPN router and it all works well.  I have learnt a lot and thank you for your advise.  No need to use the DGN2200v4 even as an interim router.

Problem solved.

Model: DGN2200v4|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 5 of 6

Good move.

The modems that  most Internet service providers "give away" are usually rubbish. So you probably made the best move. It should give you more control over your network.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7