Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moved house so had to purchase Gateway for Orbi

Tooons
Aspirant

Moved house so had to purchase Gateway for Orbi

I Moved house and the since we have FTTB we basically needed a gateway hence purchasing the

NETGEAR D6220 AC1200 WiFi Dual-Band VDSL / DSL 

Previously we just had the Orbi on it's own and it was fine 

Both are running latest firmware from netgear. 

I was told by Netgear to place the 6220 in Modem only and run the Orbi system in Router mode.

I questioned this as using the 6220 as Modem routrer and having Orbi as an access pont gave me more LAN points where needed. 

So i did as recommended placed the 6220 in Modem only and run the Orbi system in Router mode. but i'm finding it to be quite inconsistand and patchy Streaming say Amazon although we have 93 Mbps down and 34 up it in choppy, can sometimes buffer 

I'm starting to wonder if i was given the wrong information do i have the wrong set up for the house. 

Any help would be appreiated 

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Tooons
Aspirant

Re: Moved house so had to purchase Gateway for Orbi

What says it all is  when i got a call from Netgear to put things right because you, despite being an arogant misinformed tool you were so wrong they had to try and put it right.

So well done being being a first class Proven Master of nothing, however it would seem your crap advice fixed the issue, and reliably informed not to listen to idioits like you that haven't got a clue " Netgear" 🙂

Enjoy repeating grade 7 a few times till your ready to move on 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You could try to set the 6220 in router mode and then run Orbi in AP see if anything changes in the buffering.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 14
Tooons
Aspirant

Darren, 

Thankyou for replying and please forgive this as ignorance if i'm about to lean something new if i configureed as you suggested Then what would be my Modem? 

The advice given from netgear was to use 6220 in Modem only and using Orbi as router which has been worst combo,

I expected that this setup would be a normal query at tech support.

The only success of keeping it fairly stable was by trial and error since the answers i was getting appeared wrong. 

The best i've managed is by keeping 6220 as modem router turning off the WAN and using Orbi as Acess point, 

There is a Lag with this we have 93 down 34 up as a general rule but streaming seems to take a minute or so to really catch so to get to a 4k stream it can take nearly 1min 30s if it has a flutter it's stop and start again.  

Message 3 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You can run the system either way I would use the one that works best for you. But are you saying you see the buffering no matter which setup you use?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 14
Tooons
Aspirant

Sorry i still don't get it 

Are you saying i don't need the 6220 to act as a Modem for the incoming VDSL 2,  this is their connection diagram which i believe is actually incorrect as the NTU normally plugs into dsl port  

There is no RJ45 output only RJ11 so i think even the Internet provider has the drawing incorrect 

But if i was able to connect as per below that would make things much better. I just need to find out if such an NTU exists which even they didn't know 

Message 5 of 14

Your question seems to be mostly about Orbi. In that case, you might also like to visit the Community for that stuff:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

It looks like your issue is with performance rather than getting the things to talk to one another. Is that right?

You could also help people to help you by telling them which Orbi device you have.

There is a manual for the Orbi somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBR50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

The diagram that you have posted suggests that the NTU is acting as the modem. The next link is to a router, not to a modem/router like the D6200.

Unfortunately, the term FTTB (fibre to the basement) is not that clear. It may or may not use DSL to deliver the Internet to you.

Maybe you are in Australia. In which case this explains the different flavours of fibre you could get:

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your first message is also not as clear as it could be. You provide a link to the D6220, and then go on to write about the 6220. That could be confused with the R6220, which is a router.

Anyone who wants to heklp really needs to know as much as possible about your set up.

Message 6 of 14
Tooons
Aspirant

Micheal, first time poster so please forgive my formatting 

You have made one corect assumption yes i'm in OZ where we have all kinds of connections, had the Modem router been available as an option within the model catagory I would have put it there but as it doesn't seem to exist for some reason hence the link and further referred to as 6220  . which is perhaps why some peope are thinking it's just a router and not one bit like a D6200. 

The picture i attached later was to clarify what was meant about the router only mode which by admission i said appears wrong to what i believe 

The basis is I have FTTB running on VDSL on the modem router i provided the link to. 

I have An ORBI RKB50 system to continue to use this and the satelite i needed buy a gateway hence the D6220

I'm just trying to find out what the correct setup between the 2 would be

As stated Spoke with netgear and their reccomendation just simply doesn't work. even after a few attempts they stick with the same response.
So i thought i'd try this. so if i link the correct modem and name it correctly but people choose to disregard that information you can understand why it's confusing

TBH i thought Netgear would have been a bit more proactive in finding a solution rather than just repeating the wrong answer despite my concerns stating it just doesn't work.

The diagram i added was from ISP which i thought maybe i was missing something as it's actually a modem router and the NTU should be going to the DSL port but i thought i was about to learn that the NTU used correctly acts as the modem as set up it added weight to the put it in router only mode which also assumes that the response asumes it can be a modem also.

If your confused imagine how i'm feeling haven spoken to the manufacturers and then been told i've misrepresented the equipment on here.

Message 7 of 14

NBN has confused a lot of people, including many in Oz, which is why there are so many messages here on the topic! And that thing I linked to that tries to explain the technology.

From other traffic here, it seems that Netgear has also abandoned local support in the Antipodes, which can't help.

But back to the issue in hand, the Orbi and how to connect it. I woulds try that bit of the community. It seems to be a different beast from the usual router products, so people who hang out here will have limited knowledge. I've never seen an Orbi.

By the way, I have been told off here for using the "gateway" label for a modem/router. Netgear calls it that in some places, but other people use "gateway" to describe a modem/router that also has a telephone socket.

I assume that you have an RBK50 not the RKB50 mentioned above. (I can't find that.)

Did you check out the manual for your Orbi?

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

It is a new version so it might have some clues.

Message 8 of 14
Tooons
Aspirant

Accepted solution does not work as i've said, Because someone inteprets the model incorrectly dosn't mean the reply is correct. 

Perhaps this was netgears trouble also treating symptoms for a model they have no info on or knowlege 

Turning it into a router only is not a solution for the model I named and linked 

Message 9 of 14

I have  no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps someone else has a better understanding.

I can't see any new information in that message. For a start, I don't know of your D6220 is working with your Internet service.

This is the right place to ask questions about that. With the D6220 up and running, the next step is to work out what to do with the Orbi. There is a better place to ask about that.

Different devices have different ways of working. The people who know how to work on a regular router or modem/router may not be aux fait with the Orbi range. That could be why there are no answers here from the Orbi experts. They hang out elsewhere.

Getting the model number is important if you want help in tracking down manuals and working out where best to ask your questions. For example, if you search for issues, the otherwise hopeless Lithium forum software will provide a list of the appropriate models alongside its hits. That is a good way to home in on relevant messages.

You describe yourself as a first time poster, so it might not be a bad idea to take tips from the regulars.

Message 10 of 14
Tooons
Aspirant

Look up a few messages or perhaps read from the start 

The drawing i attached is what it is supposed to connect like however i've pointed out to the ISP that the drawing is incorrect cable marked #3 should actually run into the DSL port which I'm havining them correct and i've also asked them to refer to it as a Modem Router which is what it is.

The fact i was being told to run in in router mode made me question the initial setup as it potentially made sense when i dug out the connection drawing which a stated was wrong t me but seemed to make sugggestion above plausible. 

So as my first point still stands it can't be used as a router. 

Now as far as the suggestion and move away from a toy i had and the D6220, I had the D8500 The Nighthawk X8 AC5300 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router lasted less than a month before it blew a gasket and it only coverd half my property so guess what netger suggested 

Buy the D6220 to use as a Modem / gateway and the Toy Orbi as to extend the networtk at a good speed that will allow you to have Lan ports should you require also!!  Which actualy i did need a couple sounded fair to me   

Since the d6220 doesn't seem to be recognised there is a link in the first mesage 

So to reitterate 

NBN FTTB (VDSL2) > D6220 VDSL2 (Modem only mode) > Orbi (Router mode) Poor 

NBN FTTB (VDSL2) > D6220 VDSL2 (Modem only mode) > Orbi (AP Mode ) Poor 

However if you read above Netgear were adamant that the D6220 needed to be in Modem only mode. 

NBN FTTB (VDSL2) > D6220 VDSL2 (Modem-Router mode) > Orbi (AP mode) with one slight variation, Turning the WIFI off on the D6220 and basically using the orbi's for everything Lan and Wifi 

This is the only solution that comes close to working correctly with roughly a minute - thirty,  to actually hit full pace when streaming. 

now when i could do this and have the D6220 near my TV Using the LAN ports this got rid of the issue of the bandwidth hogs.

This is also the reason i'm asking if there is  better way because i can't use it in this manor any more, but since i have a crap system and toys that were recommended by netgear  I'm happy to return them for something that will do the job properly if this is your assesment. 

I don't require NBN brochures or info guides I don't even need an orbi manual. 

I obvioulsy just need to return the crap and the toys suggested and make sure they provide something that works. 

P.S. a message only needs to be sent once 5 times is an over kill

Message 11 of 14
Tooons
Aspirant

Maybe if you had read the facts instead of giving you're expert view as a a" master" you would hav erealised you were coving old gtround 

Assumptions you made a lot and you're angry because you got it backwards and that title of master should be removed. 

Sticcking you're nose in to everythhing does make you one 

I answered evey part of your to be honenst crap response, that i actually diidn't think i would get on here and you took the huff. 

You have to see for what it is.

You don't concentrate on everything else but the question, just say the gear netgear told me to buy is crap what kind of master are you 

Message 12 of 14
Tooons
Aspirant

What says it all is  when i got a call from Netgear to put things right because you, despite being an arogant misinformed tool you were so wrong they had to try and put it right.

So well done being being a first class Proven Master of nothing, however it would seem your crap advice fixed the issue, and reliably informed not to listen to idioits like you that haven't got a clue " Netgear" 🙂

Enjoy repeating grade 7 a few times till your ready to move on 

Message 13 of 14

There is no need to throw insults around the place.

You have had quite a bit of input from people who understand this stuff and have successfully helped many other users. That it failed for you is partly down to your own responses and your unwillingness to post a message about Orbi hardware in the Orbi device community.

The message that really sums up the best advice here is in this message: 11

or

Solved: Re: Moved house so had to purchase Gateway for Orb... - NETGEAR Communities

It is effectively an expansion of the message that you received from @DarrenM of Netgear.

If you aren't prepared to follow it, fine, but it helps no one to keep coming back and telling us that we are all wrong.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7