Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Exp. with the DGND3700. 6/23/11 to now.

orioncheung
Tutor

My Exp. with the DGND3700. 6/23/11 to now.

I order it on 6/23/11 from NewEgg $169.99+$3.66shipping. I have to say it is a solid Adsl/Router. There were time I get a red light. But that is when Verizon trying to change my IP. Other than that takes like a 1min for it to get connection back. Only 1 problem I get is very rare that my Archos 70 some times doesn't see the wifi. Very rare. I have to reboot the DGND3700 in order for the Archos 70 see it again.

What I use on the DGND3700:
DSL was set to Auto. I change to ADSL2+ settings.
Wifi 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz
and the LAN.

I do not use the Firewall, QoS, VPN, Guest, and the USB on it. I dont find the need for it. So, it is disable.

So, yea it is only basic usage. I use Verizon DSL 7.1Mbps package. Verizon doesn't randomly change my IP much any more. I just reboot the DGND3700 to get a new IP instead. Yes, I am on Static IP.

Speed Test:

Modem connection speed, and Statistic:

Yes, I turn off my computer at night.

Also, I change my RJ11(this one is use 4 wires) cable to 15feet vs. some old 10+ year RJ11 that is 2 wire during the summer. I also flash upgrade the firmware and change the DSL auto to ADSL2+ and I notice download went up a bit, and Upload went up a bit. 6.9-7.1 to 7.4-7.6, and up to 740-760 to 860.

Not sure why it is so hard to find a 5-10 feet RJ11 in NYC chinatown.. 😮 , had to go with the 15feet $1. lol
Message 1 of 6
Scubbie
Apprentice

Could I recommend a few things please:

ADSL2+ is more susceptible to interference from poor quality telephone lines than ADSL1.
Message 2 of 6
orioncheung
Tutor

I never really like firewall much. Makes page load slower, and hosting game harder. I do have anti-virus install to fight off virus. Like the IT at work told me, all these anti-virus, and firewall is useless. If some one want to hack you. They will do what ever they could to hack you. Also, my IP change every day. Either by Verizon that disconnect me and give me a new IP. I could also disconnect and reconnect to get a new IP. I am on static IP. I'm not to worry about getting hack at all.

QoS didn't work the way we like. That's why I use Netlimiter instead. http://www.netlimiter.com/

The $1 RJ11(6P4C) is doing very well. I could play games all day and go to website all day with out any problems. I wish I could get 15Mbps. But Verizon only does 7.1Mbps. and my loop length of 7900ft. If only I was under 7000ft. Then I could get 15Mbps. I have been using this $1 RJ11 for like 2 months now.
Message 3 of 6
Scubbie
Apprentice

I appreciate that you have sought advice from someone who works in It, but I would never give that advice to a novice as it is asking for problems.

Whilst it is true that hackers will work to crack through any firewall, why open the door and let them in?

The whole idea of QoS is to filter the traffic for all your computing devices, not just a computer with some software installed, which you never mentioned in your first post.

If you wanted to stream video content to your TV, for example, that is going to compete wit the traffic generated by any other device and you will experience frequent pauses in the content.

Again, you are welcome to do this for yourself, but I would not recommend it for anyone else.
Message 4 of 6
Joe_
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
Whilst it is true that hackers will work to crack through any firewall, why open the door and let them in?

Exactly. You could easily ask "Why bother to lock your home since if a professional burglar really wanted to break in then there is little you can do to stop them.

I think the OP is an avid gamer and their priorities lie elsewhere as witnessed by...

orioncheung wrote:
I never really like firewall much. Makes page load slower, and hosting game harder...

I could play games all day...

I wish I could get 15Mbps...
Message 5 of 6
sabretooth
Apprentice

Joe_ wrote:
Exactly. You could easily ask "Why bother to lock your home since if a professional burglar really wanted to break in then there is little you can do to stop them.

I think the OP is an avid gamer and their priorities lie elsewhere as witnessed by...

Ha... ignorance is bliss for Mr. Orion.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7