Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N00b with a DGND3700 and PPPoA

wendyg62
Aspirant

N00b with a DGND3700 and PPPoA

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've done a bit of searching and reading about the woes with this machine - wish I'd known about it before purchasing but as I didn't have any internet at the time.. :rolleyes:

So I have this router (presumably a version 1) bought out of PC World in desperation after my previous router was somewhat fried in a thunderstorm. I'd had a Netgear DG834G for some years with little bother at all so I thought this would be a breeze too.

However, I get the 'internet red light' on the new machine and it tells me it can't find a PPPoE server but does connect to my ISP. I pottered around and found that my ISP, Plusnet, uses PPPoA. Is there any way I can get the router to recognise this?
Message 1 of 10
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: N00b with a DGND3700 and PPPoA

Check your packaging to see if you have a v1 or v2. Also the interface for the v1 will be similar to your old Netgear router. The Interface for the v2 is a completely different look and feel. you will also see the words "Netgear Genie" on the top row.

As for PPPoA, this is most definitely available for the v1. I would find it hard to believe that it is not available for the v2.
Message 2 of 10
wendyg62
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Check your packaging to see if you have a v1 or v2. Also the interface for the v1 will be similar to your old Netgear router. The Interface for the v2 is a completely different look and feel. you will also see the words "Netgear Genie" on the top row.

As for PPPoA, this is most definitely available for the v1. I would find it hard to believe that it is not available for the v2.

I'm certain it's a v1 as the interface is most definitely similar to my old Netgear. Anytime I try to connect though, the computer comes up with a 'Can't connect to a PPPoE server.' Every light is fine on the router apart from the Internet one. I'm sure I've read of that happening with router often though so I'm unsure if it's just the router itself or if my dealings with Plusnet are the issue.
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I heard somewhere in thread about pppoa was not in the list

Not sure it was in same model should able to search the thread on this
Message 4 of 10
w3wilkes
Prodigy

On the DGND3700v1 go to the Basic Settings and you should as the second item "Encapsulation". In the dropdown to the right hand side is a selection for PPPoA or PPPoE. Hopefully you know what the settings should be on the ADSL Settings page.
Message 5 of 10
wendyg62
Aspirant

w3wilkes wrote:
On the DGND3700v1 go to the Basic Settings and you should as the second item "Encapsulation". In the dropdown to the right hand side is a selection for PPPoA or PPPoE. Hopefully you know what the settings should be on the ADSL Settings page.

I'll take a look for that tomorrow.. unable to get to it tonight. Thank you though! All advice appreciated and worth a try!
Message 6 of 10
wendyg62
Aspirant

Thank you w3wilkes (and Scubbie and JM) that worked.. well at least I've got a 'green light' on the internet. I've not done much in the way of extensive testing and don't yet know if I'll have the instability issues I've read so much about but so far so good!

Thanks again. 🙂
Message 7 of 10
Scubbie
Apprentice

Personally I would be tempted to take it back and see if you can exchange it for a v2 whilst you are under warranty and before it gets too old.

There are several unresolved issues with the v1 and I suspect that they will never be properly fixed now.

Check out some of the stickies for descriptions of some of the issues.
Message 8 of 10
wendyg62
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Personally I would be tempted to take it back and see if you can exchange it for a v2 whilst you are under warranty and before it gets too old.

There are several unresolved issues with the v1 and I suspect that they will never be properly fixed now.

Check out some of the stickies for descriptions of some of the issues.

Yes, that'd crossed my mind after reading some of the posts hereabouts when I first joined up. Not sure whether to approach PC World or Netgear themselves on that one though.
Message 9 of 10
Scubbie
Apprentice

I can't remember what PC World's returns policy is like.

There are v2 versions available in the UK. It might be worth contacting them first to find out if one is available.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7