Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR D7800 FIRMWARE ISSUE

ProximaCentauri
Initiate

NETGEAR D7800 FIRMWARE ISSUE

Hello all,

am hoping someone out there can assist. I have a Netgear D7800 Firmware  version v1.0.0.38 running from a Windows 10 PC.

I have downloaded the latest firmware v1.0.1.68, however this wont install with the error message coming back is incorrect version.

I have tried to update the firmware through the Router software with same result.

Have done this on other Netgear Routers ie D7000, R7000 in access point mode and never had a problem.

I found a Netgear help file using a TFTP client but no joy

Any ideas please Apart from the above the Router connects and works in all other ways

Cheers

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

well, you are 21 versions behind. You can usually skip a couple versions when updating but it could be that one of the versions changed the partition sizes. So you might have to try a stepped approach a bit when you do it and not try to skip from initial release to the latest. have you tried this? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

well, you are 21 versions behind. You can usually skip a couple versions when updating but it could be that one of the versions changed the partition sizes. So you might have to try a stepped approach a bit when you do it and not try to skip from initial release to the latest. have you tried this? 

Message 2 of 4
ProximaCentauri
Initiate

Hello Many thanks for your response. I tried the stepped approach and it works. I skipped every 4th update.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4

@ProximaCentauri wrote:

Hello Many thanks for your response. I tried the stepped approach and it works. I skipped every 4th update.

Thanks

Good move. There's an other way to jump large leaps like 21 versions!

Try the one half way between your version and the newest. That's the 10th one in.

If that works, try the newest

If it doesn't work, try one half way between the one that failed and your version, the fifth one in.

Could cut down the number of updates. But in your case might not make much difference.

The trouble is in trying to pin down the one where Netgear changed the memory used by the firmware. Sadly, Netgear rarely makes this sort of information explicit.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7