Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Compatable but Stronger Router

active2chas
Aspirant

Need Compatable but Stronger Router

I recently had to change my ADSL2+ROUTER Style GADSL,due to a power surge, my internet carrier replaced it with the same model number but am looking for something compatible on another router only because this one is not cutting it for my medium size home with 2 Tower PC's, 3TV's, 9 Mobil phones, which WIFI constantly gets hung up.

Like to purchase something more powerful but still compatable to deal with all everything.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Need Compatable but Stronger Router

What do you mean by "more powerful". What do you want to get that you don't already?

No modem/router is likely to do much of your Internet service is poor. So, what speeds do you subscribe for?

To check Netgear's range of modem/routers, go to the product pages and feed in your needs.

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

Many experienced users prefer separate modems and routers. In that way they have more control over their lives. If they change their ISP, then they only need to replace the modem. The router will still work. Netgear also puts more effort into keeping routers up to date.

You might even be able to configure the thing you now have as a "modem only" device and stick a router behind it. Netgear's Orbi routers are good on thew wifi front.

Message 2 of 4
active2chas
Aspirant

Your correct, I misenterpreted what I really meant to say, I know my ISP provides the internet speed. I guess what I meant to say, is there a Router that works better with multiple units ( cell phone, HD Tv's, Tower PC's ). The Router provided by AT&T gets hung up when there's more than 10 units trying to use WiFi. I have ( 3 Smart HD TV's, 2 Dell Tower PC's, a Dell Printer, Apple Laptop and 5 Android / iPhones ). When family or friends come over, the WiFi on this router has to be constantly reset and it's only 1 month old. I didn't get any type of Router information other than access via the internet and since it's a Netgear Unit, I thought it was sufficient but obviously it's not since you can't purchase it other than the Internet provider.   

Message 3 of 4

@active2chas wrote:

I guess what I meant to say, is there a Router that works better with multiple units ( cell phone, HD Tv's, Tower PC's ). The Router provided by AT&T gets hung up when there's more than 10 units trying to use WiFi. I have ( 3 Smart HD TV's, 2 Dell Tower PC's, a Dell Printer, Apple Laptop and 5 Android / iPhones ).

Most routers should handle that much kit. But if you want 10 people to simultaneously stream movies over a connection that can't handle the traffic, then any router will strain under the load.

@active2chas wrote:

I didn't get any type of Router information other than access via the internet and since it's a Netgear Unit, I thought it was sufficient but obviously it's not since you can't purchase it other than the Internet provider.   

I don't understand that. Do you mean that AT&T provided you with a Netgear branded modem/router? Which one?

It might be possible to tweak it and get better performance.

If you want seriously better wifi, then it might be easier to buy a basis modem, with no router features, and then to get a separate router with the features you want. Netghear's Orbi systems are designed for that sort of thing but there are other brands  that can do the trick.

But it all comes back to your internet service. What speed do you pay for?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7