Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help w/ consolidated communications ISP modem setup

Sero85
Aspirant

Need help w/ consolidated communications ISP modem setup

Windows 10, brand new nighthawk D7000 modem/router: Consolidated communications ISP

So I sat on phone last night for about 4 hours back and forth between Netgear and my ISP tech support. The DSL light is solid white but for whatever reason, the wizard would always come up with "no internet connection detected". Would not pull an IPHONE address at all, always 0.0.0.0

Only thing I did not try was lvl 2 tech support with ISP because they charge $50 and I already paid $250 for this modem.

I can plug my other modem/router that ISP provided right back in and on comes the Internet. But it's a piece of crap and I want it gone

Any advice?
Message 1 of 12
Sero85
Aspirant

Re: Need help w/ consolidated communications ISP modem setup

Will not pull IP address**
Message 2 of 12

@Sero85 wrote:
The DSL light is solid white but for whatever reason, the wizard would always come up with "no internet connection detected".

You have probably been through all this with support – you don't go into any of those details in your narrative – but have you tried a manual setup using the login details requiresd by your ISP?

See page 49 of the manual:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 3 of 12
Sero85
Aspirant

I asked the ISP about that and they said there was no login information that they know of and that it was DHCP.
Keep in mind this was the low level ISP tech support
Message 4 of 12
Sero85
Aspirant

But it is ADSL
Message 5 of 12

The manual has a section for services that do not need login.

Sometimes all you need is your email address.

Which ISP is this? An ISP that charges for this sort of help is one to avoid. Maybe it has a user forum that is a hangout for fellow victims.

Message 6 of 12
Sero85
Aspirant

Consolidated communications is the ISP.
There is no forum and unfortunately I can't switch ISP.....I live out in the woods and they are the only service available.

DHCP shouldn't require login information correct? I thought that was just for PPPoE

I have looked all over internet....there a few rare posts of victims but none that have a solution
Message 7 of 12

Looking at the ISP's support pages I end up here:

Consolidated Communications > Support > Residential Support > Internet & Email Support > Internet In...

This says:

2. Enter the High-Speed Internet User name and password found on your Internet Access Information Sheet.

So what are they doing telling you that you do not need this information?

Is there any way that you can get into the configuration of their modem and noting the settings?

This may also be a clue:

N600 ADSL2+ connection pair bonding - NETGEAR Communities

It may be back to using their modem with your box as a router.

Message 8 of 12
Sero85
Aspirant

I talked to a lvl 2 briefly at ISP and they said it should b plug and play....no login info needed. I also realized my dumbass was using the telephone cable provided with the netgear instead of the ADSL cable.....I finally got that to pull DNS info but still no IP/Internet connection.

I just looked at ur second link there and I'm pretty sure the bottom of the ISP modem says "bonded" on it.....so this might would cause my problems? If that's the case, then will it even work as a router if I bridget it?

Is there a netgear modem/router that would work for both?
Message 9 of 12

@Sero85 wrote:
I talked to a lvl 2 briefly at ISP and they said it should b plug and play....no login info needed. I also realized my dumbass was using the telephone cable provided with the netgear instead of the ADSL cable.....I finally got that to pull DNS info but still no IP/Internet connection.

Stuff happens. Anyone who claims never to have plugged the wrong cable into the wrong socket is a liar.

@Sero85 wrote:
I just looked at ur second link there and I'm pretty sure the bottom of the ISP modem says "bonded" on it.....so this might would cause my problems? If that's the case, then will it even work as a router if I bridge it?

Is there a netgear modem/router that would work for both?

I don't think Netgear does "bonded" modems. But I would not rule out bridge mode.

If it is a router, it probably does not care about the flavour of the Internet connection. It just wants a LAN connection from the modem to the Internet socket – check that one carefully – on the router/modem.

Message 10 of 12
Sero85
Aspirant

Well not what I wanted to hear but thnx so much for the help. I prolly would have pulled my hair out for several more days b4 I realized it was bonded and not compatible.

Guess this thing is going back to the store to exchange for a router only at half the price
Message 11 of 12

Sorry about that. Here is the latest word that I can find on bonded modems:

Bonded DSL? - NETGEAR Communities

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7