Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need modem and router for Ziply fiber internet and cable TV

gt70
Aspirant

Need modem and router for Ziply fiber internet and cable TV

Need to have 4 ethernet output ports, 1 (red) ethernet input port, 1 coax input port for cable.  Needs to support Wifi.  Doesn't have to be nighthawk.

Message 1 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Need modem and router for Ziply fiber internet and cable TV

Have you checked with Ziply if they support any third party modems?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13
gt70
Aspirant

yes, i checked.  They don't.

Message 3 of 13
confused_ma
Aspirant

GT70: Did you figure this out? I am trying to do the same. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Message 4 of 13
Ray65PDX
Aspirant

A bit late for the above posts, but I also have Ziply with their standard Assis ? Modem. I texted Customer support about other brands and models of accepted Modems and was told        " Any NON-DOCSIS Modems will work with Ziply Fiber" 

Looks like I either need to trust in Ziply being correct, look deeper into the Web, or simply pull that trigger and get a new Modem and hope...If I do get a new Modem, I will post results.

Message 5 of 13
Ray65PDX
Aspirant

An addendum of sorts.....Looking in the Web, it seems that Docsis 3.0 is Cable, where you physically screw in a hard long cable form outside box to Modem to TV.  Docsis 3.1 is not cable, that has cables that look like phone jacks...Anyway, the odyssey continues

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You would be incorrect about DOCSIS 3.1. DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 ARE in fact RG6 coax cable modem line protocols. I haven't seen D4.0 however I belleieve thats the same. Phone line ISPs are DSL and are RJ11 phone jack supporting. 

Message 7 of 13
Ray65PDX
Aspirant

FURRYe38.....Thank you for clearing that up.....Modern tech stuff baffles the hell out of me to be honest. I grew up in an era when D Cell battery operated toys were cutting edge technology.

So, as long as I get a Modem that is DSL capable, I should be ok ?

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

LOL same here. D batteries and Etcha-sketch was the pad back in the day. 

Contact your ISP is best option to check to see what they recommend and support on there netowrk. They should have a list of brand and model modems they allow and support on there networks. 

Message 9 of 13
gt70
Aspirant

Hi Ray65PDX,    not sure what you're trying to do, but I did get my question answered and will share.  The setup I had was scenario C, as in the attached pic.  I learned from Ziply that I didn't need to replace the modem, only the router.  Ziply said the modem was built in with the ZyXel unit.  So I got a TP-Link Deco X-60 Wi-Fi-6 mesh because of its coverage. It has the ethernet ports I needed among the 3 units of the mesh.   It's doing much better than the older NVG468MQ router from Ziply.

Message 10 of 13

@gt70 wrote:

I learned from Ziply that I didn't need to replace the modem, only the router.  Ziply said the modem was built in with the ZyXel unit. 

In that scenario, if you want to use an external router, you may have to work out how to disable the router bit of the modem from Ziply.

Don't do that and you hit the well known "double NAT" issue.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The usual way around this is to put the original modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode.

If that isn't possible, then another option is to put the second router into wireless access point mode. But that has its own problems.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That is especially awkward if you want to use some of the fancy features that the new router offers.

Message 11 of 13
gt70
Aspirant

Michael,   I'm not sure what you're referring to.  I have only one router in my setup.   Also, I didn't need to do anything about disabling the modem.  Ziply understood my setup and coached me well on it.   I was able to simply replace the router that Ziply had been renting me and get a much better router that I owned to be in the system instead.  I think you're making much too big a deal ((double NATs, 2 routers, ...) of this whole setup.

Message 12 of 13

You wrote:

Ziply said the modem was built in with the ZyXel unit.

You did not say what this ZyXel unit was with a  modem built in. Many of these devices are routers with a built-in modem. Adding another a router means just that, you are adding one router to another router. This is a common cause of problems here.

You aren't the only on in this conversation. Spare a thought for @Ray65PDX and @confused_ma 

I was just covering one scenario that might help anyone else like them who turns up here with similar problems.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7