Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need suggestion for WIFI router modem replacement

migoblu1
Aspirant

Need suggestion for WIFI router modem replacement

I need suggestion for a replacement for a NETGEAR - AC1600 Wireless-AC VDSL/ADSL Modem and Router. 

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need suggestion for WIFI router modem replacement

@migoblu1 wrote:

I need suggestion for a replacement for a NETGEAR - AC1600 Wireless-AC VDSL/ADSL Modem and Router. 

What model would that be? AC1600 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

D6400? Why do you need a replacement? Is it bust?

The bad news is that Netgear and most brands seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem-only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems. That certainly happened in the UK where the ISPs were told to supply combined modem/routers.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. You can't buy new ones these days. Prices can be silly, but you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from an "open box" merchant. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

Netgear does sell modem/routers that you can put into modem only mode, the D6400 for example, but that can cause problems.

Other than that, the choice is limited but your best bet is probably to find an alternative modem-only device that you can use alongside a router that meets your needs.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Need suggestion for WIFI router modem replacement

@migoblu1 wrote:

What model would that be? AC1600 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

D6400? Why do you need a replacement? Is it bust?

The bad news is that Netgear and most brands seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem-only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems. That certainly happened in the UK where the ISPs were told to supply combined modem/routers.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. You can't buy new ones these days. Prices can be silly, but you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from an "open box" merchant. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

Netgear does sell modem/routers that you can put into modem only mode, the D6400 for example, but that can cause problems.

Other than that, the choice is limited but your best bet is probably to find an alternative modem-only device that you can use alongside a router that meets your needs.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7