Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NetGear D7000 - AC1900 drops internet connection after performing Windows updates

MattNSW
Aspirant

NetGear D7000 - AC1900 drops internet connection after performing Windows updates

D7000 - AC1900 modem router almost always drops internet connection after I have perfomed a Windows upgrade. I have multiple systems that I perfom Windows upgrades on from time to time and find after a restart of that system, my D7000 can lose internet connection and I have to reboot the modem router.The issue is not with the same model systems that require Windows updates and they have the latest BIOS and Drivers files before the updates are perfomed. This has been happening for over a year. I am currently using firmware ver V1.0.1.74_1.0.1. Any advise would be appreciated.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: NetGear D7000 - AC1900 drops internet connection after performing Windows updates

@MattNSW wrote:

D7000 - AC1900 modem router almost always drops internet connection after I have perfomed a Windows upgrade.

That's a new one.

There is nothing on a router that will interact with a router beyond the wifi or Ethernet. Windows can screw up either of those, but that has nothing to do with the router. There are no drivers for your router, only the wifi \ad Ethernet bits of the PC..

What happens when the Internet drops? In other words, what are the symptoms and the error messages that you see? Do the LEDs on the D7000 do anything freaky?

In general, "it doesn't work" issues are impossible to diagnose. These things usually throw up some clues as to what is happening. You just have to tell people what they are.

I suspect an issue on your Windows installation, but that's just a wild guess based on minimal information. So I may be making it up.

Message 2 of 7
MattNSW
Aspirant

I have mutilple PC's and Smartphones within my household using the modem router both via wifi & Ethernet. I notice that after the Windows update that I am perfoming on the PC when I lose internet connection for example, when the system reboots it shows no wifi signal icon and the globe icon appears. I leave it for a while to check if wifi re-establishes itself and if it does not, I check the other systems that I have that are connected to the modem routher via both wifi / ethernet. If all other systems that are usually connected no longer have internet connection, I check the modem router. I login to the D7000 and find that the internet connection is lost even though in majority of cases the LEDs on the D7000 are still lit. When doing these Windows updates that are using standard windows installs and this has happened when doing a regular Windows Update.

Message 3 of 7

@MattNSW wrote:

I notice that after the Windows update that I am perfoming on the PC when I lose internet connection for example, when the system reboots it shows no wifi signal icon and the globe icon appears.

That smells like something in Windows.

I have never seen any Internet disruption during or after a Windows update.

I don't know what this "globe icon" is. It isn't there in my Windows setup.

@MattNSW wrote:

When doing these Windows updates that are using standard windows installs and this has happened when doing a regular Windows Update.

Does that mean that you do not see any disruption between Windows updates?

You said that this has been happening "for over a year", but the 1.0.1.74 firmware is only six months old.

Have you looked at the logs for the D7000 to see if they report anything when this happens?

Message 4 of 7
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:

I don't know what this "globe icon" is. It isn't there in my Windows setup.

If you are running Windows 10 unplug your DSL or cable connection, but leave the router up. The icon for network connectivity in the system tray should turn into a globe with a small circle with the cross out in the bottom right corner of the globe rather than the wifi wedge or the PC screen icon.

Message 5 of 7

I see a different icon, but now we know that this is Windows connecting.

To me this still hints that it is Windows that is messing around with your connection.

Do you know that all of your PC's drivers are up to date? Especially the chipset drivers. Windows update will not find those.

Message 6 of 7
MattNSW
Aspirant

All the PC's have the latest drivers, including chipset drivers. Even though the globe icon appears when there is no wifi connection this is an indication that it is not connecting with the D7000. This issue comes back to, if I am using Windows update get the latest windows version of updates on one system and I notice that that system restarts and has no connection, why does my D7000 lose connection to all my other systems connected?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7