Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear D7000V2 not connecting to telstra velocity??

My-Lee
Follower

NetGear D7000V2 not connecting to telstra velocity??

Hi,

I live in a rental property in a smart community and to avoid a 24 month contract with Telstra we purchased our own router a D7000V2 which doubles as a router and a modem. We have connected it to the wall socket labled 'data' which we tested to be the only active port in the hose hold. However we cannot seem to get a connection, when we log onto the set up Genie it states that the DCL/ Interent Cable cannot be found. The LED light for the interent fails to light up, we can connect the router however the router fails to load any webpages (obviously) and we have tried testing other ports in the house using a computer and an ethernet cable.

My roomate says we need to give Telstra the serial number for the device however when I ask them they say they don't need it / want it.

I was wondering if there was anyway to resolve this issue or it the router is even compatible with Telstra velocity. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: NetGear D7000V2 not connecting to telstra velocity??

> [...] the wall socket labled 'data' [...]

Is that connector phone-sized (RJ11), or Ethernet-sized (RJ45), or
what?  To what does it lead?

> [...] which we tested to be the only active port [...]

"tested" _how_?  "active"?

> I was wondering if there was anyway to resolve this issue or it the
> router is even compatible with Telstra velocity.

I'd ask the ISP.  With my weak psychic powers, I have no real idea
what's behind your wall.

Message 2 of 4

The main reference I can find to "telstra velocity" suggests that it is a " Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) network".

The D7000V2 is a DSL modem/router. A very different technology.

@My-Lee wrote:

My roomate says we need to give Telstra the serial number for the device however when I ask them they say they don't need it / want it.

I suspect that your roommate doesn't know what they are talking about

@My-Lee wrote:

I was wondering if there was anyway to resolve this issue or it the router is even compatible with Telstra velocity. 

Probably not. Did you ask for advice on compatible devices? Or did you just stick a pin in the catalogue?

If you can't return the thing for something more suitable, you could try setting up the D7000V2 to work with a cable service. (See the manual.)

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

and feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 3 of 4
w3wilkes
Prodigy

This is based on the presumption that you are provided an ehternet connection from Telstra and your port labeled Data is a RJ45 ehternet connection. I'm not on Telstra, but I do have fiber to the premis and use my D7000v2 as just a router. Do you need to provide login credentials with Telstra or do they just expect DHCP on their end to give your WAN connection an IP address? To bypass the modem you plug the ethernet cable from the wall RJ45 to the #4 ethernet port on the back of the modem. In Advanced -> Setup -> WAN setup -> WAN Preference I set it to "Must use ethernet WAN". Depending on if you need to provide credentials or not is configured from Advanced -> Setup -> Internet setup -> "Does your internet connection require a login". There are some cases where the ISP might require the MAC address of your WAN port which can be found at Advanced -> Advanced Home -> Internet port. On my D7000v2 the MAC address on the bottom of the modem/router is the LAN MAC address, which is different from the WAN ethernet MAC address. If you are ethernet connected you can also probably change your MTU size to 1500 rather than 1492 which is typical for a modem using PPPoE.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7