Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NetGear Router is not found

Pete_Simpson
Aspirant

NetGear Router is not found

Hi,

For some reason when using Netgear Genie when I try to login to the Router it returns an error message:

"NETGEAR router is not found or not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router, and no IPv6 is enabled."

As far as I know neither of those two requirements are true, so I cannot understand why it does not log into the router like it previously did.

I cleared the cache history and still the issue persists. 

ANy suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

@Pete_Simpson wrote:

For some reason when using Netgear Genie ...

You refer to the genie. This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

@Pete_Simpson wrote:

it returns an error message:

"NETGEAR router is not found or not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router, and no IPv6 is enabled."

Remember, if you are using the genie on a mobile device and a wifi connection, you need to connect to the wifi and then feed in the access details for the graphical user interface (GUI).

Did you read this?

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A wired connection is usually the best.

Message 2 of 7
Pete_Simpson
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback, so I managed to log into my modem router (Model D7000 v2) using the default IP address, and the NetGear Genie (version 2.4.62) now allows me to see my wifi networks in Router Settings, however, when I click Parental Controls it still says that I am not connecting to the Internet through a supported Netgear router, but I am! Do I need to flash my router, even though I have the latest firmware (version 1.0.0.56) installed? Currently I cannot change the parental settings on some of my kids devices, though I can log into my Netgear.OpenDNS account and change the plan settings, but I need the Genie to allow me to access parental controls in order to apply the plans. Help greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 7
Pete_Simpson
Aspirant

Sorry, forgot to add, I'm running Win7 on an (older) HP Elitebook 2570p.

Message 4 of 7
Pete_Simpson
Aspirant

Further tests: I ran cmd and tried to ping the model router, for 192.168.1.1. all four requests timed out.

For 192.168.0.1 which appears to be the router IP address, the ping returned 3 received and 1 lost (25% loss), so not sure why the packet was lost.

Message 5 of 7

@Pete_Simpson wrote:

For 192.168.0.1 which appears to be the router IP address

That's right: it is what it says on the manual.

192.168.0.1 is the default for Netgear's modem/routers. Has been for at least 15 years. (That's the oldest manual I can find at a quick glance.)

192.168.1.1 is the default for routers.

Message 6 of 7

@Pete_Simpson wrote:

Currently I cannot change the parental settings on some of my kids devices, though I can log into my Netgear.OpenDNS account and change the plan settings, but I need the Genie to allow me to access parental controls in order to apply the plans. Help greatly appreciated.

The "in app" (desktop Genie) settings are for coarse controls. They allow you to set the "filtering level for your network".

Everything else gets done here:

https://netgear.opendns.com/

The genie is effectively a front end that take you there.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

and feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device.

Check the section in the manual on updating the firmware.

You may have done this already, but I can't tell from your message.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7