Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear D6400-100UKS - 2.4GHz Network Issue

Staro
Tutor

Netgear D6400-100UKS - 2.4GHz Network Issue

Hello,

I have a Netgear D6400 that is having difficulty maintaining the 2.4GHz network.

The SSID will dissapear and reappear, the range has deminished and registered devices have difficulty connecting and staying connected.

The issues appear to coincide with me updating the firmware a couple of days ago from V1.0.0.52 to V1.0.0.56

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can resolve this, I would be most grateful.

Can I reinstall the latest firmware ? I'm not sure so thought I would ask first.

Thanks

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Staro
Tutor

Re: Netgear D6400-100UKS - 2.4GHz Network Issue

The 2.4GHz network stayed up through to this morning since lowering it to 145Mbps, I may just keep it at that setting from now on.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies

@Staro wrote:

The issues appear to coincide with me updating the firmware a couple of days ago from V1.0.0.52 to V1.0.0.56

Did you do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade? It isn't always needed, but if you suspect that the upgrade did it, then it is worth trying.

Also look at other wifi bands. Maybe there is some local interference.

And look at the wifi client. It is easy to assume that the modem/router is at fault when the culprit is the receiver.

Message 2 of 13
Staro
Tutor

Thanks for your reply, I only rebooted the router not reset to factory defaults.

I'll give that a go now. There's four devices on the that particular network that are displaying those symptoms.

I'll factory reset now and monitor it for a few hours.

Thankyou

Message 3 of 13
Staro
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Staro wrote:

Did you do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade? It isn't always needed, but if you suspect that the upgrade did it, then it is worth trying.

Factory reset seems to have solved it, I should have known better Smiley Embarassed

Thank you @michaelkenward

Message 4 of 13

That's good. A reset isn't always needed, but it is worth trying if you have problems after the flash.

Message 5 of 13
Staro
Tutor

I'm afraid I spoke to soon, issue still persists.

Anything else I can try?

Message 6 of 13
Staro
Tutor

I think I've found the issue, don't know why it's happening or how to resolve it though.

The Netgear Genie page shows 2.4GHz network is set to channel 1, the connection and range are good like always, no interference, no-one else appears on that channel.

A short while later the connection will get lost, SSID dissapeears, reappears and shows up on wifi analyzer as Channel 6+2 ? Where it conflicts with another network and has terrible range and disconnects.

The funny thing is the Netgear page still shows the 2.4GHz network as being on Channel 1.

Updating the settings on the Genie page shows on wifi analyzer that he Channel is back on number 1 and all is good until it does the same thing again shortly after.

Hope I've made sense.

Message 7 of 13

Have you tried "Auto" for the 2.4GHz channel?

Or pick something else.

Where is the interference coming from?

Can you tweak the clients so that they don't hunt around trying to latch on to errant channels?

Message 8 of 13
Staro
Tutor

Not tried auto yet although I did think that's what it used to be set at.

No idea where the interference is coming from, it seems to be the best channel.

Mines the red one_20170107_103729.JPG

I've kept the mode on up to 145Mbps this morning instead of up to 300Mbps and it seems ok so far, it's usually on up to 300Mbps without any problems.

Message 9 of 13

I'm on Auto Up to 300 Mbps.

But I live in the country where the nearest neighbours are out of wifi reach, 50 metres of more away.

And most of my clients work at 5 GHz.

Message 10 of 13
Staro
Tutor

Luckily there doesn't seem to be a lot of wireless netowrks in my area, it picks up maybe 1 or 2 more very weak ones every now and again.

I have just two clients that are 2.4GHz only that are using that network so it's not like it's overloaded either.

I think I'll keep it on 145Mbps for a few hours and see how it goes, it's staying on Channel 1 so far.

Then later on I'll ty bumping at back up to 300Mbps and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again

Message 11 of 13

Good strategy.

The fact that all is well when you get started suggests to me that this is the issue rather than anything awry with the hardware or the new firmware. After all, that was done just for security issues. I don't think Netgear changed anything else.

Message 12 of 13
Staro
Tutor

The 2.4GHz network stayed up through to this morning since lowering it to 145Mbps, I may just keep it at that setting from now on.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7