Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear D6400 // Will not connect to Plusnet UK fibre AND forced to use old firmware

spawnsworth
Tutor

Netgear D6400 // Will not connect to Plusnet UK fibre AND forced to use old firmware

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me!  I've bought a used Netgear D6400 VDSL modem/router and am having real problems getting it to connect to my Plusnet FTTC service.

First of all, the person I bought it from didn't bother resetting it so all their details were still present.  So a factory reset was the first port of call.  

Connected via ethernet, I then tried using the Nethear genie which allows me to select Plusnet service from the dropdown menu, then entered my credentials (which are 100% correct).  It will then take a minute or 2 of attempting to conncet before coming back with an error 'User name or password incorrect'.  I entered it in its full'username@plusdsl.net' format.  No luck.  Left it a few mins and still nothing.

So next I tried upgrading the firmware.  I noticed the installed firmware was quite outdated.  It was V1.0.0.29 (I think).  Upgraded it to the latest V1.0.0.60 and again the exact same problem.  It just refused to authenticate.  I then noticed that Wirless was disabled and REFEUSED to turn back on.  The wireless button on the side did nothing, and going in to the Advanced menu I noticed that it had default SSID 'Netgear73' and a WPA key of 'fluffychair460'.  The 'enable wireless radio' button was not ticket for 2 or 5 G networks and it was GREYED out.  I spent considerable time trying to get to the bottom of it but there was no way to enable the wireless radio.  None.

Next, I reverted to an older firmware V1.0.0.58.  Same problem with Wifi refusing to allow itself to be enabled.  Same for firmware V1.0.0.58.  I managed to get Wifi working again with firmware V1.0.0.34 as the option was no longer greyed out.  So finally I was able to connect via WiFi and sit down comfortably with my laptop whilst trying to get my FTTC service to connect.

Very strange that I have to use the old firmware just to be able to use Wifi.  It does work very well though as strong signal and no drops at all when I used it.  I'd be happy to stick with old firmware if it would only connect.

So back to trying to connect to FTTC service.  The device syncs to the DSL line no bother at all.  I get the following stats in my Netgear's connection status for the internet port:

Downstream: 48778 kbps
Upstream: 9599 kbps

Nothing wrong there.  It is clearly getting the DSL signal as the LED on the front suggests.  So my problem is purely with authentication.

I have tried every combination I can think of using the VDSL.  Here are the details that I think are correct.  THis is what I have currently:

Select Country: UK
Service provider: Pluset
DSL Mode: VDSL2
Transfer Mode: PTM
Multiplexing Method: LLC-BASED
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Password: *******  (correct password)
Sercice name:  <blank>  (Also tried "Plusnet"
Connection Mode: Always On
IP & DNS: Auto  (I have a static IP and tried entering that too. Auto should work)

I'm pretty much on the verge of tears here!  Hours wasted on this.  Refused to authenticate.  My password 'might' have a special character in it.  Might be worth changing that to something simple in case the Netgear is having trouble transmitting it or something weird like that.

I could also hook up my Openreach modem and not use the VDSL connection protocol on the Netgear, but this somewhat defeats the purpose of me buying a VDSL router.

FYI I also reconnected by Plusnet Hub One to verify the credentials are working.  No problem at all.

If anyone has any advice or had similar trouble  I would like to hear from them if possible!

Many thanks indeed 🙂
Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
spawnsworth
Tutor

Re: Netgear D6400 // Will not connect to Plusnet UK fibre AND forced to use old firmware

Thanks for the advice I'll give that a try and see what happens.  Interestingly and coincidently the special character that I use isn't allowed when signing up to this very forum.  Probably means absolutely nothing but that's where I'm at right now.  Clutching at straws!

Definitely worth trying.  I'm interested to know if any other D6400 users have had issues connecting to their Fibre service over VSDL and if they expereienced the same pain as I did trying to get it to connect!

Cheers!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] My password 'might' have a special character in it. [...]

I know nothing about the D6400, but about two years ago, I had a
problem with a DGN2200v4 and a DSL/PPP password (set by my ISP) which
contained a "<" character.  Everything worked except DSL/PPP
authentication.  Previously, a DGND3700v2 did not have a similar problem
with the same password (but its port-forwarding was too lame for my
needs, and Netgear support suggested using the DGN2200v4, instead).

I reported the problem to Netgear (Case # 25280188), but never heard
of a firmware release which fixed the problem.  I did find a work-around
for the problem, which was to specify the password using a backslash
escape for the "<" character.  That is, for an actual password of
"abc<def", I specified "abc\<def".  

Since then, I've changed ISP and DSL/PPP password, so I can't easily
tell if the same problem occurs in my current D7000.  It should be easy
enough (for you) to run the experiment, however.

Message 2 of 15
spawnsworth
Tutor

Thanks for the advice I'll give that a try and see what happens.  Interestingly and coincidently the special character that I use isn't allowed when signing up to this very forum.  Probably means absolutely nothing but that's where I'm at right now.  Clutching at straws!

Definitely worth trying.  I'm interested to know if any other D6400 users have had issues connecting to their Fibre service over VSDL and if they expereienced the same pain as I did trying to get it to connect!

Cheers!

Message 3 of 15
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

After you upgrade the firmware you will need to perform a factory reset before everything will work correctly. This is due to the very old firmware your device had.

omce you have installed the latest firmware and then performed the factory reset hopefully everything will work for you.

Message 4 of 15
spawnsworth
Tutor

Hi all,

Well I'm CONNECTED!  Turns out it didn't like the ";" character in my DSL password.  The same password I have used on 2 or 3 different routers.  Must be model specific perhaps.  Very strange!

But I still have to use the older firmware.

I'm kind of stuck in 2 minds.  1) It is working so leave the firmware alone, or 2) I should upgrade to the latest firmware and spend more time troubleshooting.

I'm pretty certain I did a factory reset after upgrading firmware but the problem is I can't get the thing to propely blank itself and fully reset.  I've tried a 30/30/30 reset but it still shows SSID and password stuff when it comes back on.  

Do I upgrade or leave as is?  Confused!

Message 5 of 15
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

For security you need to update the router firmware otherwise you are open to attack.

These things can be stubborn to reset to factory but after loading the latest firmware (1.0.0.60) and allowing to reboot disconnect the power and remove all other connections (cables) to the router. Turn it back on and then hold the reset button for 8 seconds. After it re-boots reconnect all your cables and hopefully setup as new.

Message 6 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] Turns out it didn't like the ";" character in my DSL password.

Did you try the work-around of adding a backslash before your ";"?

> The same password I have used on 2 or 3 different routers.  Must be
> model specific perhaps.  Very strange!

"2 or 3 different" _Netgear_ routers or "2 or 3 different" routers?
What it's specific to is lame firmware, and there's apparently enough
variation across Netgear models (and/or time) that some do better than
others at this.  As I said, I reported a problem like this (for a
different special character on a different model) two years ago.  You
can see how much good that did.

> But I still have to use the older firmware.

That's for the wireless problem?

Message 7 of 15
spawnsworth
Tutor

HI,

Well I tried what you said and rebooted the router after firmware upgrade, then unpluging cables and power off, then power on and held reset in for 8 seconds.  Still the same outcome.  At best it will revert back to a former state with SSID NETGEAR73 and a WPA password of "fluffychair460".  It isn't resetting properly but I think the reason I can't enable wireless when flashing to firmware 1.0.0.60 is that it will not let me select a region.  There is no region to select from as you can see in the attached screenshot.

I've tried everything from resetting to factory settings from the Administrator menu to using the physical button like the method I have mentioned and the old 30/30/30 reset.  It seems I am stuck on 1.0.0.34 as that is the latest firmware that actually works.

Pretty snookered here.  I've experience using many different routers over the years but never had a problem where it won't let me upgrade to the latest, or close to the latest firmware.

Can't think what else I can do other than stick with the working version sadly 😞

Also, regarding my DSL password.  I didn't try using the \ escape character.  I just reset my password to one without a ; in it as that was easy to do and am happy with that but thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Cheers

netgear.PNG

Message 8 of 15

I am familiar with the D6400.

Plusnet is a BT subsidiary. But does it use the same DSL technology as BT Infinity?

If so, the transfer mode is ATM.

DSL mode is auto.

The rest looks OK.

Is there any chance that this is a beta model of the D6400? If so, there are things you have to do to get it to work. This isn't the place to explain that – Netgear isn't keen to have people try it on non-beta hardware – but if you want to risk it let me know.

Message 9 of 15
spawnsworth
Tutor

Thanks,

I did get connected to Plusnet after resetting my password to one without a special character.  That was causing failed authentication, though it worked on other routers I have used.  That problem is solved.

The problem remains that I cannot upgrade the firmware beyond 1.0.0.34 as when I do, the wirleless radion becomes disabled and I cannot re-enable it at all.  There is no region to select from and all the wireless options are greyed out.

This is more of a problem than I thought as I am now having trouble setting up port forwarding rules.  It keeps saying there is a conflict with another service but this isn't true.  It can't be.  I can see the other services that have been added.

The thing just refuses to reset to absolute factory settings and the issue with wireless being disabled with any newer version than 1.0.0.34 is quite bizarre.

I bought this second hand and I suspect the previous User wasn't that technically minded so I don't think they would have sold this to be knowing that these issues exist.

I'd love to get the firmware to upgrade somehow.  Tried everything I can think of but might be out of luck.  I have no way of knowing if this is a Beta model.  I would like to know your method for a beta version so I can evaluate the risk!

Thanks 🙂

Message 10 of 15

I have sent you a private message with a solution that has worked for everyone who tried it. Let us know if it works.

Message 11 of 15
spawnsworth
Tutor

Hi Michael,

Sorry I checked and I don't have any private messages.  Can you please resent this?  Very keen to get this resolved.  Thanks for your help!

Message 12 of 15
spawnsworth
Tutor

Hi Michael,

I tried your suggestion and it worked!  I am now on the lates 1.0.0.60 firmware and all is working great now.   Thank you so much for your help there is no way I could have figured that out on my own!

Message 13 of 15
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glad I could help. It even caught me out in the past when trying to perform a reset. Unless the LAN cables are unplugged it just will not work!

Message 14 of 15

@spawnsworth wrote:
Thank you so much for your help there is no way I could have figured that out on my own!

Glad it worked out. You have got to admit that this is a seriously freaky bug. There is no way that any of the suggestions posted here would have dealt with that one.

Your experience suggests that this issue may not have been limited to beta devices. The number of people who had to use that "secret" fix is now in double figures, and that is just the people I have let into the secret.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7