Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear D6400 connected to the internet but cannot surf

thoutmosis
Aspirant

Netgear D6400 connected to the internet but cannot surf

Hello all,

I've bought a Netgear 6400 to replace my Freebox revolution.

I did the configuration manually as the "auto setting" failed to proper configure the modem.

Now I got the green light indicating it is connected to the Internet Service Provider .. but in the interface it says "No Internet Connection" in red.

ATM, ADSL2+, VC-based VPI/VCI 8/36, Static IP address 88.66.XXX.XXX/24 with a Gateway configured at 88.66.XXX.254

From my PC connected through the WIFI, I can :

-ping 192.168.1.254 which is the internal LAN IP of the netgear D6400

-ping 88.66.XXX.XXX which is my static / fixed Internet IP address

- can neither ping the Internet Service Provider gateway at 88.66.XXX.254, (nor the 88.66.XXX.1)

For those who have replaced their Freebox with a Netgear D6400, do you have any hint about the "free IP gateway" next hop just after the static/fixed IP address ?

regards,

thout

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 5

Re: Netgear D6400 connected to the internet but cannot surf

Not sure that I follow what is going on here. It sounds like you have not given the modem/router the right connection details for your ISP. Is that Freebox?

@thoutmosis wrote:

By default, the D6400 will give itself the IP address 192.168.0.1.

Message 2 of 5
thoutmosis
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Not sure that I follow what is going on here. It sounds like you have not given the modem/router the right connection details for your ISP. Is that Freebox?

@thoutmosis wrote:

By default, the D6400 will give itself the IP address 192.168.0.1.

Hello Mickael,

thank you for your comment.

The D6400 is meant to replace the FREEBOX which is the ADSL modem provided by my Internet Service Provider (ISP) named Free.

I modified the internal gateway address, hence the LAN IP of the D6400 to reflect the initial configuration of the FREEBOX and all PCs are using 192.168.0.254/24 as their internet gateway.

The issue is on the ISP side... The information provided is "fine" (static internet IP, gateway IP) but the issue is related to the ARP conversation between the D6400 external IP address (static IP address), and the ISP gateway... it seems that the ISP is doing something with its ethernet headers that makes its FREEBOX replacement difficult. I would still be able to configure the FREEBOX in bridge mode and let the D6400 do the wifi and LAN routing... But I don't see the use to have two ADSL2+ modems if I can find a configuration that enable me to get rid of the FREEBOX (I need neither IPTV nor ToIP) and just have the full badwidth for the internet.

regards,

Thout.

Message 3 of 5

@thoutmosis wrote:

I modified the internal gateway address, hence the LAN IP of the D6400 to reflect the initial configuration of the FREEBOX and all PCs are using 192.168.0.254/24 as their internet gateway.

Unless you have made a mistake in those numbers, devices on 192.168.0.254 cannot talk to stuff on 192.168.1.254.

They should all be on the same network 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx.

You seem to be going out of your way to make life difficult for yourself.

@thoutmosis wrote:

I would still be able to configure the FREEBOX in bridge mode and let the D6400 do the wifi and LAN routing... But I don't see the use to have two ADSL2+ modems if I can find a configuration that enable me to get rid of the FREEBOX (I need neither IPTV nor ToIP) and just have the full badwidth for the internet.

If you can put the FREEBOX thing in bridge mode then it is easy to use the D6400 is a router. That is what the red WAN (Internet) port on the back is for. Then again, why buy a modem/router when you really want just a router?

I take your word for it that you have the settings correct for your ISP – I don't know how it configures its network – but I remain unconvinced that the problems is at their end.

Message 4 of 5
thoutmosis
Aspirant

Good catch Michael
It was a typo.. there is no issue on the LAN side..every device can talk to the others ( icmp, udp, tcp) and even ping the WAN public IP on the netgear D6400.
I have opened a ticket with my ISP..but since it works fine with there freebox, there is no incident for them.. and they refuse to investigate ant further. They have one KB article about foreign adsl2+ modem.. and it is the one I applied to.configure the connexion (about ATM adsl2+ vci/vpi).. so far the netgear has establishew the connection since it has its wan fixed IP.. but network internet traffic is stuck on this IP address ..seems the routing is not done.to the next hop that is the ISP WAN gateway . I am currently doing some.wireshark analysis of this gatexay using the freebox to better qualify whats going on on the ISP side just behind my WAN fixed IP address so maybe I can clone the "topology" and reflect it in the netgear configuration. As you initially stated.. it might be a misconfiguration on the ISP side.. found some articles mentionning a VLAN ID to be positionned as well.

Regards

Thout
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7