Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear D7000 External Hard Drive Issue

jhcb
Aspirant

Netgear D7000 External Hard Drive Issue

I have just bought a D7000v2 modem router and tried to connect my WD my book Essential 2TB it has been crazy erratic sometime showing up and then disappearing. It can show up on the routers panel but not on my network or readyshare. I reboot both HD and router and it will show up on network and readyshare for a time then disappear. I have tried reformatting using NTFS but still behaves the same.Right now it is not showing anywhere it is most frustrating as I bought the nighthawk specifically to share my HD. I have spent far too long trying to work it out any help will be appreciated. I am running windows 10 with version 1809 

Message 1 of 10
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Netgear D7000 External Hard Drive Issue

I've never seen a USB drive work reliably on a Netgear router. I gave up on my DGND3700v1. I also find that performance is an issue.

Message 2 of 10
jhcb
Aspirant

Ahh I wondered, got any suggestions for a router that is good at networking with hard drives. I am surprised there are not more posts on the subject mainly people that are trying with the wrong format. It seems to be erratic connecting with computers on the same network 

Message 3 of 10

What is the firmware on your D7000v2?

@jhcb wrote:

I am surprised there are not more posts on the subject mainly people that are trying with the wrong format.

You can't have looked very hard. There are plenty of discussions about many aspects of ReadyShare USB. Some of these wrinkles are down to changes in Windows and changes in its approach to security. (See SMB.)

I have had various USB drives working without any problems in ReadyShare, but nothing massive or fancy.

Too many people try to use drives that will never work. "Huge" drives that need their own power supply, for example, or anything that needs drivers or software.

This list will give you some clues as to what will work, although it is far from comprehensive:

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The best solution is to use proper network attached storage (NAS) that uses an Ethernet connection.

Message 4 of 10
jhcb
Aspirant

Thanks, it says my firmware is up to date V1.0.0.53_.1.0.2 The HD is nothing fancy or big 2TB with no special software or passwords. The compatability lists WD my book essential, although slightly different model no. I know a NAS would be a better solution but I thought I would make use with the equipment I have, no point in having USB ports if they don't work properly. I just wonderered if there was a setting I missed apart from the obvious. 

Message 5 of 10
antinode
Guru

> Too many people try to use drives that will never work. "Huge" drives
> that need their own power supply, for example, [...]

Huh?  Do you think that the (modem+)router is better equipped to
supply power to a ("Huge" or any other) drive than a separate power
supply would be?  What's the logic behind that "reasoning"?

Message 6 of 10

@jhcb wrote:

The HD is nothing fancy or big 2TB with no special software or passwords. The compatability lists WD my book essential, although slightly different model no.

That really should work.

@jhcb wrote:

Thanks, it says my firmware is up to date V1.0.0.53_.1.0.2

Not the most reliable guide, if you are asking the modem/router to find updates. Firmware can take time to migrate from the support pages to the FTP server that delivers through the GUI. But in this case, you have the latest version. If you installed it yourself, it might be worth a factory reset.

No harm done, especially if you backup your settings so that you can restore them if the USB thing still plays up.

Hard to tell what could be going amiss. There can be nasty interactions between the hardware and Windows that get in the way.

Annoying.

Did your research find this stuff?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – SMB2

Message 7 of 10
jhcb
Aspirant

Thanks for the steer no I had not come across this post on smb2 but checked it out and it didn't help my problem. I think I am giving up and going down the NAS route hopefully the router works with this.

Message 8 of 10

You won't regret going NAS. I have some cheap ZyXel NAS and an even cheaper dLink. (I am frugal.)

Things to look out for, if you ever have power cuts, ensure that you buy something that reverts to "last state" when the power comes on. Some just go off and stay off.

Ideally you want to be able to have options for "Power On After Power Failure"

I also look for something that supports Wake-On-LAN. Then you can get a PC, or something else, to restart the NAS. That can be one way round the "power cut" thing.

I also like "Power On/Off Schedule".

This sort of control wipes the floor with USB devices.

NAS is more expensive, but much more flexible and with no need to poorly implemented features like ReadyShare.

Message 9 of 10
jhcb
Aspirant

Thanks for all your suggestions much appreciated

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements