Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear D7000 and Utilities Warehouse

W3cks
Tutor

Netgear D7000 and Utilities Warehouse

I am replacing the ISP provided VDSL router with the Nighthawk D7000.  I try to configure the internet using the Wizzard selecting the Other option for the ISP as Utilities Warehouse is not an option. 

On occasion i get the "No DSL Cable Plugged into the Router ADSL Port" Error.  I followed the video on the netgear site to ensure that the filter is installed i still get the same issue that said and many UK sockets have the filter built into the master socket and are not required that said on occasion i dont get this error i am presented with the Username and Password.  I have confirmed the username and password are correct but it say the details are incorrect but this is not the case. 

So to recap

1. I have used the master socket in the house.

2. I have used the filter.

3. I have nesured the ISP credentials have been entered correctly. 

I am not looking to use this device as an AP only as a modem so i dont want to plug the ISP router back in i want to replace it with this device.  

Cheers

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
W3cks
Tutor

So after some playing around and contacting the ISP as well as finding a user that had a similar issue on this forum the answer was as follows. 

For utilities warehouse the Wizard simply does not work.

You have to configuere the connection manually.

So anyone else that has a similar issue the Utilities Warehouse settings are as follows. 

• Encapsulation - PPPoE
  • DNS - Set to Automatic
  • MTU - 1432
  • BTW - 1492

You need to enter your ISP Username and Password which can be found https://uw.co.uk/clubhouse/myServices/

Under Phone and Broadband.

Now what i did overlook was the VLAN ID,  as soon as i changed it to the ISP recommended 101 the connection was established. 

For reference for anyone else visiting this site looking for assistance who has read the reply.  

• Utilities Warehouse is not a mainstream ISP, the attention I was hoping to attract was from other users that have experienced similar issues when configuring a D7000 or similar specifically using Utilities Warehouse ISP.
  • The Version of the Router i am using is V1
  • My firmware is 1.0.1.78 (I updated it to the lastest version when i started running into issues.
  • In relation to the comment relating to the video i watched i naturally assumed that anyone who would be replying or interested in the post would of checked the netgear site prior to checking the forums and would of searched for ther D7000 which is the model i am experiencing trouble with.  If you do this you are presented with the video straight away which i also quoted in my reply "No DSL Cable Plugged into the Router ADSL Port", you can also type this into the netgear site which will get you to an article/video i referenced specifically for the D7000 and D7000V2.  Of course, there are lots of videos on the netgear site however my issue relates specifically to the D7000.
  • The ISP username and Password so yes you could say the PPPoE credentials TBH networking terminology is not my specialty. I confirmed that these were correct with the ISP directly and there are no special characters in the password, the username is an email address format.
  • In relation to using the filter or installing the filter (As per the video referenced earlier).

As a side note and something for you to take under advisement or not it is completley up to you.

Granted my original query may of been rushed somewhat however this is a community HELP forum.  You need to take under advisement you have varing degrees of expertese in the networking workspace,  I am no expert and what may be common for the more compitent network resource may not be for others.  Yes I could of been more descriptive in certain areas but you got to dial back the satire at least a bit.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

>    D7000[v1] or D7000v2?  Look for "Model" on the product label.
Firmware version?

> [...] I try to configure the internet using the Wizzard [...]

The non-psychics in your audience might not be able to see how you
answered the questions, or what the resulting settings were, or what
your ISP expects your modem/router settings to be.

> I followed the video on the netgear site [...]

Thanks for the helpful link.  Have you considered the possibility
that there might be more than one "the video on the netgear site"
(whatever that means to you)?

> [...] to ensure that the filter is installed [...]

"installed" _how_?  Does the rest of that run-on sentence make any
sense to you?

A DSL modem requires a direct connection to the phone/DSL line.  A
DSL filter is required between an ordinary phone and the line.

> [...] i am presented with the Username and Password. [...]

You mean a request for some PPPoE credentials?

> [...] I have confirmed the username and password are correct but it
> say the details are incorrect but this is not the case.

"confirmed" how?  Are there any special characters in those
credentials?  Various Netgear routers (firmware versions) have had
trouble with some special characters in PPP credentials.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1354547

> [...] 2. I have used the filter.

Filters can be "used" correctly or incorrectly.

Message 2 of 7
W3cks
Tutor

So after some playing around and contacting the ISP as well as finding a user that had a similar issue on this forum the answer was as follows. 

For utilities warehouse the Wizard simply does not work.

You have to configuere the connection manually.

So anyone else that has a similar issue the Utilities Warehouse settings are as follows. 

• Encapsulation - PPPoE
  • DNS - Set to Automatic
  • MTU - 1432
  • BTW - 1492

You need to enter your ISP Username and Password which can be found https://uw.co.uk/clubhouse/myServices/

Under Phone and Broadband.

Now what i did overlook was the VLAN ID,  as soon as i changed it to the ISP recommended 101 the connection was established. 

For reference for anyone else visiting this site looking for assistance who has read the reply.  

• Utilities Warehouse is not a mainstream ISP, the attention I was hoping to attract was from other users that have experienced similar issues when configuring a D7000 or similar specifically using Utilities Warehouse ISP.
  • The Version of the Router i am using is V1
  • My firmware is 1.0.1.78 (I updated it to the lastest version when i started running into issues.
  • In relation to the comment relating to the video i watched i naturally assumed that anyone who would be replying or interested in the post would of checked the netgear site prior to checking the forums and would of searched for ther D7000 which is the model i am experiencing trouble with.  If you do this you are presented with the video straight away which i also quoted in my reply "No DSL Cable Plugged into the Router ADSL Port", you can also type this into the netgear site which will get you to an article/video i referenced specifically for the D7000 and D7000V2.  Of course, there are lots of videos on the netgear site however my issue relates specifically to the D7000.
  • The ISP username and Password so yes you could say the PPPoE credentials TBH networking terminology is not my specialty. I confirmed that these were correct with the ISP directly and there are no special characters in the password, the username is an email address format.
  • In relation to using the filter or installing the filter (As per the video referenced earlier).

As a side note and something for you to take under advisement or not it is completley up to you.

Granted my original query may of been rushed somewhat however this is a community HELP forum.  You need to take under advisement you have varing degrees of expertese in the networking workspace,  I am no expert and what may be common for the more compitent network resource may not be for others.  Yes I could of been more descriptive in certain areas but you got to dial back the satire at least a bit.

Message 3 of 7

@W3cks wrote:

Small ISPs can cause  much grief.  A reasonable first stab in the UK is to work on the basis that your ISP is hitching a ride on the back of BT's network. Many are. They don't have their own networks.

One way to look for help is to plug the ISP's name into the search engine here. Perhaps that's what you did.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Utilities Warehouse

Nine times out of 10, it doesn't matter what hardware you want to set up. Most have the same settings that you need to get right. The V1, V2 distinction rarely makes much difference. Go down that road only when you hit a brick wall.

Glad you sorted it out, and thanks for reporting back. You might help someone else who turns up here with the same problem.

Message 4 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] i naturally assumed [...]

That your readers would invest/waste their time trying to guess how
you found some unidentified "the video on the netgear site", and that
they'd find exactly what you found?  Apparently, my time is worth more
to me than it is to you.

> [...] You need to take under advisement you have varing degrees of
> expertese in the networking workspace, [...]

Special expertise is not required to describe accurately what you're
doing and observing.  Using the terminology shown on the web page,
as-is, generally works better than interpreting what you think it all
means.  Especially when you're "no expert".

The less you know, the more important accurate, detailed, precise
descriptions become.  (And the less value your analysis may have.)  What
you did, and what happened when you did it, are what matter.
Non-descriptions like "I have used the filter" convey no useful
information.

> [...] the Utilities Warehouse settings are as follows. [...]

_That_ is useful information.

Message 5 of 7
W3cks
Tutor

It was a pain TBH,  I was hoping that other had ran into similar issues previously.

Luckily i did more research as you have stated on the netgear community forum and there was a post i can remember what the subject was but i manged to find someone that head the headach I had and then pointed to the solution unfortunatly they did not supply the vlan id which i managed to obtain from the supplier.  Hopefully if anyone else has a similar issue it may be of some help. 

I do agree the small suppliers can be some what difficult to get around. 

Message 6 of 7
W3cks
Tutor

I dont want to drag this off topic as i feel the purpose of these forums is problem resolution not a lesson in forum etiquette and i dont want to overshadow the post and the solution which I am sure others may find usefull.  

To all those that have read it and found it usefull then great.  if anyone has a similar issue and if the post has missed anything out please feel free to get in touch via this forum.  I am no networking expert but i believe i have managed to get around this particular issue and would be happy to help anyone else in the same situation.   Like michaelkenward  said in a reply to this thread, small isps can cause much grief and i am, sure this will not be an isolated Utilities Warehouse ISP issue.  

Many Thanks.   

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7