Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear D7000v2 requires constant reboot

JPJI
Star

Netgear D7000v2 requires constant reboot

Netgear D7000v2 unreliable & constant issues.

First off, my network setup:

Wired connections: 
- Netgear GS108 switch. 
- Sony Bravia smart TV
- Sony STR-DN1050 surround sound system
- Sony playstation
- Sony blu-ray player
- Synology NAS
- WD NAS
- TP-link powerline adaptor

WiFi Connections
- Laptops x2
- Mobile phones x3
- Kindle x2
- D-Link security camera
- Amazon fire TV stick gen1

The D7000 has the latest firmware installed. The unit has had several factory resets since the new firmware was loaded. The router causes nothing but trouble. Every possible combination of settings have been tried.

The main issue with the router is that devices connected over WiFi stop being able to connect with wired devices. Rebooting the router allows all devices to connect for a number of hours, but after a random interval, all devices stop being able to communicate with each other. A reboot of the router will restore functionality.

For example, we use the laptops and mobile phones to cast music to the sound system. This will be working after a router reboot, but after a few hours, when you try and cast a song to a wired device, the devices cannot be found. This occurs on all phones and laptops.

Another example, we use the cast feature in youtube mobile phone app to cast videos to the wired TV. This works fine after a fresh reboot of the router, but after a while, the cast icon disappears from youtube's mobile app, as the mobiles can no longer see any of the wired devices. A reboot of the router fixes the problem for a short while.

Another issue, If we try and connect the amazon fire TV stick to the 5Ghz WiFi network, then as soon as you try and connect, the router instantly crashes and freezes. The only way to restore functionality after that is to unplug the power from the tv stick, and reboot the router. 

My network setup has remained unchanged for several years. The D7000 is the only thing that is new and problematic. Before fitting the D7000 I had a Netgear DGND3700 router. This router worked flawlessly. In all the years of owning it I never had to reboot it. All the devices above, connected in exactly the same way all worked all the time. I never had a single issue. 

The only reason I 'upgraded' to the D7000 was because I have changed over from ADSL to VDSL which my old router did not support.

Note that if I remove the D7000 and plug the DGND3700 back in, my network works flawlessly again (except not being able to receive fibre internet).

The D7000 has caused nothing but trouble since the moment it was first plugged in. I have tried reloading firmware. I have tried factory resets. I have tried isolating all my devices in turn. I have tried different combinations of settings. In have experimented with access control settings. Nothing works. I have retested with my old router and everything works perfectly. 

This is not just an issue with one laptop, it effects all devices simultaneously. 

If the constant rebooting is not bad enough, the D7000 also take a very long time to reboot and reconnect to the internet. It's driving me insane!
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
JPJI
Star

Re: Netgear D7000v2 requires constant reboot

@JPJI wrote:

Just trying a repost of my message from several days ago that was deleted multiple times:

I have been jumping through hoops over the last week trying all sorts of settings recommended by Netgear customer support (including installing v1.0.0.38 firmware). I've had to send them screenshots of my router homepage to prove which version firmware I'm on etc etc.

Based on settings they asked me to change, I'm not convinced that the support agents even understood the issue.

Anyway, as I have wasted many, many hours on this defective router, without proper resolution of any of the issues, I decided to purchase a different brand router to try.

Today, I installed a TP-Link Archer VR2800 router. I plugged this new router in, entered my internet passwords, set my SSID names & passwords and changed the ip address of the router. This new router then worked perfectly. All my devices are now accessible and visible to each other. No rebooting required, no random loss of connectivity between devices. Everything just works. I have also connected the amazon fire tv stick to the 5Ghz network without the router locking up (unlike the D7000). The TP-link router has now been on test all day without a single issue.

I spent 2 very frustrating weeks trying to get the D7000 to work. I even tried 2 different D7000 units. Nothing I could do, and nothing customer support suggested properly resolved the issues. I spent 2 weeks not being able to play music and not being able to cast videos to my TV. 2 weeks of constantly messing with settings and searching the net for solutions all to no avail.

I have now returned the defective D7000 for a refund, and will be using the TP-Link router from this point onwards.

It’s a pity, as I have been using Netgear routers since they first started making them. The early routers were a bit unstable, but as time went on they got better and better. My previous Netgear router (the DGND3700) was an absolute gem - reliable & dependable. I was hoping for more of the same from the D7000, however it was not to be - it seems they have gone backwards in their evolutionary development.

As I have been using Netgear routers for so long, the TP-Link interface took a bit of getting used to. It took me a whole 5 minutes to find where I could change from using my isp's slow DNS servers to using Google's faster DNS servers. But after a short while exploring their interface I now know where everything is. Hopefully it’s not something I should be needing to look at very often anyway!

UPDATE:

The TPLink Archer has now been plugged in for 4 days, 1 hour and 50 minutes. 

The DSL & WiFi uptime is currently 4 days, 1 hour and 50 minutes.

No dropouts, no loss of connection, no reboots. Everything still works. All my devices can still see each other. Just a reliable 'fit and forget' device - exactly what I wanted!

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies

@JPJI wrote:
The D7000 has the latest firmware installed.

And the version of that firmware is?

One person's "latest" may not be quite as recent as they think.

Message 2 of 18

I experience basically the same problem with my brand new D7000v2, which replaces my older DGND3700v2. At least once a day the D7000v2 becomes unreachable for no apparent reason, and its 2.4 GHz Wifi radio appears turned off (no SSID and no signal visible on PC and smartphone). That is with firmware V1.0.0.47. Tried all sorts of settings to no avail. I have a Chromecast, a wired NAS, a Wifi repeater, a Foscam IP camera, several Android smartphones and Windows 10 PCs, and an EPSON WF-2750 printer on the network. Upgrading the Chromecast to preview firmware 1.30.113131 did not help. The old DGND3700v2 never had this problem. I tried a downgrade to firmware V1.0.0.40 but it made no difference except that the Wifi radio stayed on when connections dropped, with SSIDs visible and a strong signal, but even so the local network became unreachable also after the experimental downgrade to firmware V1.0.0.40. I've already wasted many hours on this.

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 18

Earlier you said:

The main issue with the router is that devices connected over WiFi stop being able to connect with wired devices.

That sounds more like a network issue than anything down to the router.

You refer to this as a "router". In reality it is a modem/router. (At least you put your message in the right bit of the forum, unlike many owners of modem/routers.)

Do the LEDs do anything strange when these things go down? Do they all die at the same time?

Message 4 of 18
JPJI
Star

@michaelkenward wrote:

@JPJI wrote:
The D7000 has the latest firmware installed.

And the version of that firmware is?

Firmware Version

V1.0.0.47_1.0.1

Message 5 of 18
JPJI
Star

@michaelkenward wrote:

Earlier you said:

The main issue with the router is that devices connected over WiFi stop being able to connect with wired devices.

Do the LEDs do anything strange when these things go down? Do they all die at the same time?

The lights do not change. At some random interval period of time all wired devices cease to be visible to all wireless devices. Rebooting the router will restore functionality. 

Message 6 of 18

Reinstalled firmware V1.0.0.47 on the D7000v2 last night, put it on Lego pedestals 2cm off the stone floor at 20 degrees ambient temperature to test the overheating theory by allowing for maximum venting, and this morning all connections dropped as usual. LED lights for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio stayed on (5 LEDs on the far left on and 3 LEDs on the far right, all constant, none flashing), but no smartphone or PC could see any SSID other than from people on other routers. Apparently the overheating theory does not apply here. The device never felt hot anyway. Power off and on, and connections got restored for maybe 15 minutes until they dropped again with exactly the same symptoms as described above. Never had two such failures within such a short time span before. Power off and on again, and connections are back but who knows for how long. Unless I can get working beta firmware real soon this device is going to be returned to the shop, and given the many similar reports on this forum it is not a matter of replacing it with another D7000v2. I'm sad about this, because I liked my old Netgear DGND3700v2 which worked reliably and included NAT loopback for my IP cam, unlike the D7000v2. Looking at other brands now for a new ADSL modem+router.

Message 7 of 18
JPJI
Star

For some reason my posts keep getting deleted/censored 😞

Message 8 of 18

@JPJI wrote:

For some reason my posts keep getting deleted/censored 😞

Clearly not.

Message 9 of 18

I too have this weekend returned my D7000v2 for a refund, and moved to another brand - with pain in my heart, but only after I had spent several man days on trying to fix the at-least-once-a-day reboot to get connections back.

Message 10 of 18
JPJI
Star

what gives, why are my posts bieng deleted?

Message 11 of 18
JPJI
Star

@seeingwithsound wrote:

I too have this weekend returned my D7000v2 for a refund, and moved to another brand - with pain in my heart, but only after I had spent several man days on trying to fix the at-least-once-a-day reboot to get connections back.

Did you see my post about me returning my D7000? If so, can you still see it? 

Thanks!

Message 12 of 18

I received your deleted post by mail since I am following this thread, so I know what you went through, but the online version at 1552635#M23710 indeed got deleted.

Message 13 of 18
JPJI
Star

Cannot believe they are censoring these posts! Glad I returned the unit now if thats their attitude towards customers...

Message 14 of 18
JPJI
Star

@seeingwithsound wrote:

I received your deleted post by mail since I am following this thread, so I know what you went through, but the online version at 1552635#M23710 indeed got deleted.

I have reposted it about 5 times now too - deleted every time! Disgraceful! 

Message 15 of 18

@JPJI wrote:

@seeingwithsound wrote:

I have reposted it about 5 times now too - deleted every time! Disgraceful! 

I don't know what is going on. I did not see anything offensive in your deleted post unless you mentioning the TP-Link Archer VR2800 was against forum regulations. I've now moved to an AVM FRITZ!Box 3490 as of today but that makes it too early to tell if it is stable. At least I have NAT loopback which I missed in the D7000v2 firmware. I would have much preferred to keep the D7000v2 if only it was stable...

Message 16 of 18
JPJI
Star

Just trying a repost of my message from several days ago that was deleted multiple times:

I have been jumping through hoops over the last week trying all sorts of settings recommended by Netgear customer support (including installing v1.0.0.38 firmware). I've had to send them screenshots of my router homepage to prove which version firmware I'm on etc etc.

Based on settings they asked me to change, I'm not convinced that the support agents even understood the issue.

Anyway, as I have wasted many, many hours on this defective router, without proper resolution of any of the issues, I decided to purchase a different brand router to try.

Today, I installed a TP-Link Archer VR2800 router. I plugged this new router in, entered my internet passwords, set my SSID names & passwords and changed the ip address of the router. This new router then worked perfectly. All my devices are now accessible and visible to each other. No rebooting required, no random loss of connectivity between devices. Everything just works. I have also connected the amazon fire tv stick to the 5Ghz network without the router locking up (unlike the D7000). The TP-link router has now been on test all day without a single issue.

I spent 2 very frustrating weeks trying to get the D7000 to work. I even tried 2 different D7000 units. Nothing I could do, and nothing customer support suggested properly resolved the issues. I spent 2 weeks not being able to play music and not being able to cast videos to my TV. 2 weeks of constantly messing with settings and searching the net for solutions all to no avail.

I have now returned the defective D7000 for a refund, and will be using the TP-Link router from this point onwards.

It’s a pity, as I have been using Netgear routers since they first started making them. The early routers were a bit unstable, but as time went on they got better and better. My previous Netgear router (the DGND3700) was an absolute gem - reliable & dependable. I was hoping for more of the same from the D7000, however it was not to be - it seems they have gone backwards in their evolutionary development.

As I have been using Netgear routers for so long, the TP-Link interface took a bit of getting used to. It took me a whole 5 minutes to find where I could change from using my isp's slow DNS servers to using Google's faster DNS servers. But after a short while exploring their interface I now know where everything is. Hopefully it’s not something I should be needing to look at very often anyway!

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 17 of 18
JPJI
Star

@JPJI wrote:

UPDATE:

The TPLink Archer has now been plugged in for 4 days, 1 hour and 50 minutes. 

The DSL & WiFi uptime is currently 4 days, 1 hour and 50 minutes.

No dropouts, no loss of connection, no reboots. Everything still works. All my devices can still see each other. Just a reliable 'fit and forget' device - exactly what I wanted!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7