Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear DGND3700 with TalkTalk Fibre broadband

leamingtonspace
Aspirant

Netgear DGND3700 with TalkTalk Fibre broadband

Hi,

I'm in the UK and I have my broadband booked for activation on Thursday and have received my router today. I'm going with TalkTalk. The connection is 'Fibre To The Cabinet' so it's a copper connection to my home.

I'd like to use my current Netgear DGND3700 router instead of the TalkTalk one. My current router also has static IP adresses set-up for all my devices as well as port forwarding etc, so using it will save me the hassle of setting all this up in the TalkTalk router.

I'm just wondering what settings I need to put into the current router to allow it to work with my TalkTalk connection?

I found this information regarding TalkTalk settings but have been told these are ADSL settings:

- Username: this will be your telephone number followed by @talktalk.net - for example, 1234567891@talktalk.net
- Password: enter your broadband password here.
- VPI: 0
- VCI: 38
- MTU: 1432
- DNS settings: Set as automatic (or similar)
- Encapsulation: PPP over ATM (PPPoA) using VC-MUX
- Modulation Type: Auto

Are these the settings I should use?

MTU setting in the Netgear router is under WAN set-up.

In the Netgear router I can't find anything that relates to Modulation type.

I've also got settings for:

- Multiplexing method: VC based OR LLC based
- DSL Mode: Auto OR ADSL OR ADSL2 OR ADSL2+
- Transfer mode: ATM or PTM

So I just need to know will my current router work and what settings do I need to use for TalkTalk?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Message 1 of 3
mrnumnuts
Aspirant

All I can do is give you my experience. Your connection is now a VDSL connection and the 3700 only supports ADSL. So you are going to have to ask yourself is the new VDSL router from TalkTalk better than the 3700. If you prefer to keep it you will have to use the TalkTalk router as a modem set in bridge mode and connect it to the 3700 using the Cable/Fiber port at the back. This will allow you to keep using the 3700 as your preferred router. I had to do this when Vodafone Ireland upgraded to fiber (VDSL) as I didn't like the stock Vodafone router they gave me. I wish you luck in connecting it all up.
Message 2 of 3
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply... greatly appreciated.

I decided to ditch the Netgear and use the TalkTalk Huawei router... and it performs brilliantly.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7