Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear DGND3700v1 cant add range extenders to WIFI Network

Gunn5
Tutor

Netgear DGND3700v1 cant add range extenders to WIFI Network

Hi guys,

I purchased a TP-LINK RE350 to extend the wifi to the back of my house and unfortunately it is not working. Before trying the RE350 i had tried a RE305, and after spending a few hours online to TP link support we had no luck in connecting so went back to the retailer and upgraded. After having the exact same issue with this new device i'm starting to believe it's my router causing the issue.

From inital set up of the RE (range extender) it can find and see the routers SSID's, but after approx 30 seconds the 2.4 and 5ghz signal lights drop out, the RE SSIDS continue to broadcast, but they are not tunnelling the routers network. 

Is there some setting I might be missing on this router to enable the RE to connect to it, i did notice a wireless repeating function section on the SMART WIZARD page, but from the looks of it that requires my security to drop to WEP from WPA2-PSK and will also drop my bandwidth down to 54MBPS across both the 2.4 & 5ghz channels.

So far on router side i have tried changing the channels of both the ranges, tried a hard reboot and also removed all IP address reservations on the router. It is setup as a DHCP server, and there is no MAC filtering/whitelisting/DMZ set up, just a plain ol boring ol modem router for home, nothing fancy.

I appreciate any help that can be thrown my way.

Cheers

Geoff

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear DGND3700v1 cant add range extenders to WIFI Network

There is a manual for the DGND3700 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>DGND3700v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

If the modem/router is delivering wifi to other devices nearby, I would suspect a configuration issue with the TP-LINK RE350. Have you talked this through on a TP-LINK forum?

By the way, you are trying to get this to work with a pretty old modem/router. The original DGND3700 dates back to May 2011. It has LAN ports that work at 100BASE-Tx, which is a tenth the speed on more modern kit, and possibly your PC's LAN sockets. I suspect that its wifi is also equally ancient. N600 is almost stone age in comparison with what happens now. Your TP-LINK is faster and even  that is a slowcoach.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

There is a manual for the DGND3700 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>DGND3700v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

If the modem/router is delivering wifi to other devices nearby, I would suspect a configuration issue with the TP-LINK RE350. Have you talked this through on a TP-LINK forum?

By the way, you are trying to get this to work with a pretty old modem/router. The original DGND3700 dates back to May 2011. It has LAN ports that work at 100BASE-Tx, which is a tenth the speed on more modern kit, and possibly your PC's LAN sockets. I suspect that its wifi is also equally ancient. N600 is almost stone age in comparison with what happens now. Your TP-LINK is faster and even  that is a slowcoach.

Message 2 of 4
Gunn5
Tutor

Yeah I figured age would be an issue, so have upgraded to a newer router, rather happy with my new second hand Asus rt-ac87u.

Thank you for the help anyway.
Message 3 of 4

Second hand? Recycled sounds more up market.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7