Re: Netgear DM200 erratic max throughput

mongoled
Guide

Netgear DM200 erratic max throughput

Hi,

For some reason the Netgear DM200 DSL modem is not in the 'Model List'

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/DM200.aspx

Long story short,

With my ISP VDSL modem when downloading a single tcp stream throughput is maxed out i.e. 'flatlines' at the capacity of my VDSL line i.e. 48mpbs. (see attached image)

ZXDL modemZXDL modem

When I use the Netgear DM200 in place of the ISP VDSL modem the single stream throughput is all over the place (see attached image).

DM200DM200

The source of the file is the same (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download).

I have tried the DM200 in bridge mode and routed mode.

I have tried with firmware version 1.0.0.33 and 1.0.0.52.

Can someone please advise, are these characteristics normal ??

Our ISP modem is in router mode and we cant set it to bridged mode hence the purchase of the DM200

Thanks

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 1 of 16

Do you have any speed or connection problems with the DM200 or are you just reading graphs?

There are some techies here, but mostly it is given over to troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 16
mongoled
Guide

Hi, no connection issues

From my experience working with networking equipment that what I am seeing occuring with the DM200 is not normal.

The graphs show that the DM200 is not able to hold a consistant download throughput ('speed').

I would like to hear from a Netgear technician/representative in to what could be causing this issue.

If this cannot be resolved then in my opinion the device is not fit for its purpose and so would need to seek an RMA/refund.

Thanks

Message 3 of 16

I would like to hear from a Netgear technician/representative in to what could be causing this issue.

The best way to get that is the direct approach.Contact them through the support channels.

This place is mostly user to user with some input from Netgear people.

Message 4 of 16
mongoled
Guide

Shame about that then, as the 'input from some Netgear people' has not been forthcoming.

Morale of story, dont buy products from manufacturers who dont standby (support) their products in a public support forum!

These items are going back to the place they were purchases and no more Netgear products for me.

Thanks

Message 5 of 16
mongoled
Guide

As expected, some moderator decided to delete my post.

Well as you are insisting on public sensorship I will be making sure that all the technlogies available to me will be used to show the type of shambolic support that is being given by Netgear 'support' staff.

The last correspondance received from the Netgear support staff just shows that they can neither read or comprehend basic English nor have the technical capacity to offer any sort of support.

All they have in front of them are scripts to read from, dialogues to mimc and this is called 'support'

Pathetic, completely pathetic...........

Message 6 of 16
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Case850,@mongoled et al.

I got the attention too. WAN speed have been observed to be happened also rather strange lately with my R8000 router. I did not notice any discrepency with my older router WNDR3400. I am willing to live with it for now and work around the problem myself,  but would not hold any breath for any improvement on technical support from Netgear, the least to say. 

RMA is an option if you really need constant internet speed. Just call technical support, and immediately elevate to higher technical support and provide proof. They will probably do RMA for you.

I hope my post here would be readible and not deleted. 

BR,

Terry

Message 7 of 16
ChristineT
Admin

Good afternoon @mongoled,

I believe there may have been a delay in your post appearing since it had images that had not yet been approved. I believe the post you are referring to is now viewable. Can you  please confirm this to be the case? If your post is still not appearing as expected please let me know and I'll investigate this issue further.

@mongoled, @TerryPh@Case850@michaelkenward ~ Thank you all for your comments in this thread. Let me reach out to our support teams to ensure it is getting the proper amount of attention.

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 16
mongoled
Guide

Hi Christine,

thank you for your message,

just a FYI (and of course all my own opinion backed with what I experience in everyday life), Netgear along with many other companies who manufacture 'IT' products are just following 'industry standards' in which said companies have neglected proper consumer support in the name of cooporate profits.

The norm seems to be to invest in level one support staff who are cheap and who seem not to be able to understand basic English.

It seems to me that the aim is to make things as difficult as possible for customers to receive support in the hope that they will 'go away'.

There is no other way for me to explain this, if I were to post the dialogue I had with level one support (three different emails) I would challenge anyone to come up with a different conclusion to the one submitted above.

Incompetance is not even the word to use for the first tier support staff I had the 'pleasure' of dealing with, its cooporate neglect, all in the name of profits (understandable as we cannot let the stock price suffer because of hiring competant staff!).

As to my issue with my two DM200, I resolved this by removing the Netgear firmware and installing LEDE.

Now my modems acts like I expected them to act.

Would I buy another Netgear product? Well I would probably choose a different manufacturer first as my first and only experience with Netgear support staff really disgusted me, the sorry thing is (as mentioned above) is that one by one first tier support is going down the drain across all industries, simply a sign of the times ..............

Message 9 of 16
mongoled
Guide

@Case850wrote:

@mongoled

Well you certaily have my attention, a number of people are reporting WAN performance issues with their routers.

I am sure @schumaku@duckware, @TheEther, @TerryPh, @avtella and more will all be intrested.

Hi,

I resolved my issue by removing the Netgear firmware and installing third party firmware (LEDE).

This 'solution' is not for the average user !

Hope you find a solution through the assitance of Netgear support staff

Message 10 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@nmongoled wrote:

I resolved my issue by removing the Netgear firmware and installing third party firmware (LEDE).

There is a pure bridge mode allowing a transparent DSM Modem configuration with that alternate firmware? We would like to use the DM200 for what it is - a transparent DSL bridge.

I do't understand why there have to be routing stacks et all for that purpose.

Message 11 of 16
thehurdy
Aspirant

Had exactly the same problem with Netgear support on the phone earlier, had a flat out row with the operative who was adamant the device is a modem, not a router... I pointed out that it didn't even do the modem bit properly and it's probably not a case of crap hardware so much as lame software and support.

Gone to Lede, didn't really want a new learning curve but grabbed an image from the same forum as mongoled, Just trying to work out how I can get it connected to the internet and install a nice simple gui now.

Shame Netgear, the Open Source community seems to know more about your own hardware than you or your terrible support staff.

Message 12 of 16
thehurdy
Aspirant

Exactly what I'm looking for - A simple way of using this as a modem, so I can use pfsense to MLPPPoE 6 of them.

I own a Data Centre with a few RIPE LIR's, Juniper MX routing equipment and space in lots of facilities - the last thing I want to be doing once I'm home is networks. I just want these to work as a PPPoE modem, if it'll dial from Windows and Ubuntu, that'll do me.

Message 13 of 16
ChristineT
Admin

Good morning @Case850 and DSL Community,

Let me looking into this. I'll post another reply once I have an update.

Warm Regards,

Christine

Message 14 of 16
SPMor
Aspirant

Still no solution to my problem. Modem connects to the internet, but once connected to my R9000 it stops my Wifi calling, I ended up plugging in my ISP's router after RMA of my R9000. Wasted my money on Netgear for the last time.

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 15 of 16

@SPMor wrote:

....it stops my Wifi calling

What does that mean?

You have now joined in on the end of two ageing conversations about different problems.

(Here's the other one:  Re: Wifi calling not working - NETGEAR Communities.)

If you really want help in solving your problem, you would do better to start your own conversation with better details of what is going on at your end.

And post in the right bit of the forum for your device:

DSL Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7