Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 drops connection probable solution!

jadaz
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 drops connection probable solution!

I have purchased the D7000 in April 2017 from Best Buy in Florida while on a visit, then flew back home to Beirut, Lebanon. As with most of the reviews, the unit worked like a charm for 3 months, then all sorts of connection problems started happening. Tried many firmwares, some worked for a brief moment and some not, dismantled the unit to see if some capacitor poppped, silly me, anyway I also bought a small fan to blow the heat off, I also limited the output speeds,switrhched of the 5-GHz transmission, to... no... avail...

So I started weeping and pulled the plug.

A few days ago, I took it out for a try, it worked for an hour then (being in corruption infested country we do not have 24/7 electrical power yet although the war ended 25 years ago) when the power changed from the main source to a backup generator the unit rebooted. I do have it plugged to a powerful UPS but still it rebooted with every flicker. So I thought that there actually is a damaged capacitor that cannot hold enough juice even for a split second. After doing some reasoning, I decided to replace the power supply with a 5Amp output (a small 12V 5A power supply for small laptops), these adapters have their own capacitors that carry power for at least 2 seconds after power interruption. Plus the 5A output can provide more juice if needed.

Results:

The unit is back to its glory and more, I am able to stream 4K content from my NAS using plex to my 4K TV on the 5GHz frequency, where most people weren't successful yet.

I am currently running Firmware version 1.0.1.50_1.0.1 with outputs maxed out

The power supply cost me 20 USD

Worth a try if this is your last resort for you frustrated guys/gals.

Good luck

Jad

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
jadaz
Tutor

just a small note: if you get a third party power supply make sure the polarities of the plug match the ones on the original.

My D7000 is working like a charm now, I am soooooooooooo happy about it

Message 2 of 5

Excellent advice. That's the first report I have seen of a third party transformer doing a better job than the "official" device.

As you say, there are things you have to get right, the volts, amps, polarity and "tip size" are the most important.

Message 3 of 5
jadaz
Tutor

indeed so

Message 4 of 5
jadaz
Tutor

Please check the plackard on the power supply that came with my D7000 in the attached pic.

I would like to add that at times the unit would work but when I insert a USB3.0 external hard drive, it will drop the connection. But now with the 5 Amp power supply all is working like a swiss clock.

So my opinion is that the power supply was not powerful enough to sustain the system.

Best

Jad

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7