Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 drops connection probable solution!

jadaz
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 drops connection probable solution!

I have purchased the D7000 in April 2017 from Best Buy in Florida while on a visit, then flew back home to Beirut, Lebanon. As with most of the reviews, the unit worked like a charm for 3 months, then all sorts of connection problems started happening. Tried many firmwares, some worked for a brief moment and some not, dismantled the unit to see if some capacitor poppped, silly me, anyway I also bought a small fan to blow the heat off, I also limited the output speeds,switrhched of the 5-GHz transmission, to... no... avail...

So I started weeping and pulled the plug.

A few days ago, I took it out for a try, it worked for an hour then (being in corruption infested country we do not have 24/7 electrical power yet although the war ended 25 years ago) when the power changed from the main source to a backup generator the unit rebooted. I do have it plugged to a powerful UPS but still it rebooted with every flicker. So I thought that there actually is a damaged capacitor that cannot hold enough juice even for a split second. After doing some reasoning, I decided to replace the power supply with a 5Amp output (a small 12V 5A power supply for small laptops), these adapters have their own capacitors that carry power for at least 2 seconds after power interruption. Plus the 5A output can provide more juice if needed.

Results:

The unit is back to its glory and more, I am able to stream 4K content from my NAS using plex to my 4K TV on the 5GHz frequency, where most people weren't successful yet.

I am currently running Firmware version 1.0.1.50_1.0.1 with outputs maxed out

The power supply cost me 20 USD

Worth a try if this is your last resort for you frustrated guys/gals.

Good luck

Jad

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
jadaz
Tutor

just a small note: if you get a third party power supply make sure the polarities of the plug match the ones on the original.

My D7000 is working like a charm now, I am soooooooooooo happy about it

Message 2 of 5

Excellent advice. That's the first report I have seen of a third party transformer doing a better job than the "official" device.

As you say, there are things you have to get right, the volts, amps, polarity and "tip size" are the most important.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 5
jadaz
Tutor

indeed so

Message 4 of 5
jadaz
Tutor

Please check the plackard on the power supply that came with my D7000 in the attached pic.

I would like to add that at times the unit would work but when I insert a USB3.0 external hard drive, it will drop the connection. But now with the 5 Amp power supply all is working like a swiss clock.

So my opinion is that the power supply was not powerful enough to sustain the system.

Best

Jad

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E