Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D7000 bridge mode (Modem only)

shadow23
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk D7000 bridge mode (Modem only)

I have been looking for answers regarding VDSL2 settings when using the D7000 in "Modem only".

First of all to give everyone more information, I live in Australia and we have NBN (National Broadband Network) which uses a couple of different technologies. The one I'm on is called FTTN (Fibre To The Node). And it requires a VDSL comaptible modem, which the D7000 is.

Since I have more than 4 wired devices attached to a network, I had to get a router with 8 gigabit ethernet ports. Now I'm aware that the D7000 can be bridged and use as a "Modem only". Here in Australia with our NBN if the modem doesn't have the right settings and you hook it up to phone line, it will automatically lock your port which means you won't get any internet access until the port has been reset.

So my question is when the D7000 is put in the "Modem only" mode does that automatically pick up the phone line is VDSL and not ADSL? And does the D7000 automatically adjust the settings to suit VDSL2 settings? For example the G.INP (G.998.4) and the G.vector (G.993.5) needs to be enabled so it won't lock the port. But when I place the D7000 in "Modem only", I can't even access the "Internet setup" section to make sure that it is on VDSL2 profile.

I really wish Netgear had more information about this subject.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Shadow23

When you put it into bridge it will get a different Ip address you may want to try 192.168.100.1 to access it.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
shadow23
Tutor

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Shadow23

When you put it into bridge it will get a different Ip address you may want to try 192.168.100.1 to access it.

DarrenM

All good DarrenM. Not really an issue anyway. I have done it a few times now. I have reset the Netgear. And changed the default IP from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1. Everything is sweet. I can connect to it when I connect my PC directly to the D7000. I then put it in "Modem only" and reboot an wait for the DSL light to settle.

I then reset my router and connect the ethernet cable to the WAN port of my router and the other end to the number 1 LAN port on the D7000. I then proceed to setup my router to connect to my ISP(RSP). It's PPPoE so I enter username and password and have WAN IP set to "Auto" and I get connected. BUT when the "lease time" has expired the second default gateway address which the D7000 that I set to 192.168.2.1 disappears and I can no longer access the D7000 in my web browser.

I find it weird as 2 days ago I did the exact same setup with a D-Link DVA 2800 and when the lease time expires the second default gateway address which I have set to 192.168.2.1 for the D-Link modem stays the same and I can access the D-Link modem from my web browser. Might be just a Netgear thing. Because I tried the same thing with the ASUS DSL-AC68R and I get the same results. The D7000 is somehow causing the 2nd default gateway to change or it somehow tells the tells the router "I'm not gonna give you access to my interface and not going to give you my IP address" and therefore  when there's no 2nd default gateway I cannot access the D7000 until I reset it.

Message 3 of 7
shadow23
Tutor

Message 4 of 7
shadow23
Tutor

Ooops sorry DarrenM. Wrong thread. All good it's sorted now.

Message 5 of 7
shadow23
Tutor

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Shadow23

DarrenM

To properly reply to your post. When I put the D7000 in "Modem only" it automatically disables all the settings except for a few. The IP address stays the same to whatever I set it at. It's a feature that Netgear (D7000) has to make it more simple. It works quite well. Once in bridge mode I don't have to touch anything. I simple attach my router and set that up and I'm all good to go.

Message 6 of 7
lrdaramis
Aspirant

I got this baby to work by adding VLANID 100 (Commander)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7