Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .24

Lazza040
Apprentice

Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .24

Hi all , just tried to update my D7800 Modem Router V1.0.1.22  to the new firmware V1.0.1.24 , using the Netgear auto download , and basically has killed the modem. Seems the new firmware disables the VDSL port . Rolled back to the old firmware , and Modem works again. I am on NBN FTTN in Australia, and reason found faulty firmware is plugged in old iInet VDSL modem , and everything works. Just want to let any other Netgear users know , so save you the hassel of trying to diagnose crappy firmware.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 52
brent3000
Tutor

I too support this fault, updated and the line was bouncing all day and dropping out, the ISP also mentioned they could see this happening and advised the router is faulty (rolled back and all good now on .22 and prior)

Using FTTN NBN connection in AU

Message 2 of 52
mini_minnie
Aspirant

I can confirm after rolling back to firmware version 1.0.1.22 fixed my network dropout issue. Basically the internet connection light went out after upgrade to firmware version 1.0.1.24. Rolling back to .22 and connectivity light came back on and service has now been restored.

Message 3 of 52

None of the messages here tells us if the users reset their devices to factory defaults after the firmware flash. That is always the first thing to try if you have problems after applying new firmware.

This would not, though, be the first time that Netgear has put out firmware that breaks things.

Message 4 of 52

This message seems to confirm that a factory reset does not do the trick:

D7800 Firmware Update to v1.0.1.24 - NETGEAR Communities

The only issue there is that they restored their settings. This isn't always a good idea.

Message 5 of 52
Wayne_E
Guide

I am also on the Australian NBN with a VDSL connection and the .24 update disabled my connection. Reverting to the .22 bios restored all functionality.
Message 6 of 52

NBN seems to be a common thread here. Is this the only place that gets killed by the new firmware?

Message 7 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

I am beginning to think an Australia only issue? Maybe as it Fibre to the Node , not FTTH/P as most smart countries... 🙂

Message 8 of 52

NBN does seem to have more flavours of internet than anywhere else. (There was an excellent demolition job on NBN in the New York Times last year, which shows that the Oz government can do better that the Poms when it comes to screwing up broadband.)

Is FTTN the only flavour that has problems with this firmware?

Message 9 of 52
monsoon_qld
Tutor

It hasn't killed it on mine but no Remote Access. Did the upgrade, then (as recommended) restored to factory defaults and did a clean/manual setup and no Remote Access. Even deleted and reinstalled iOS Geni App. Internet connection is NBN Fixed Wireless. And yes our government has stuffed it up. Initially was meant to be beautiful FTTP, but a change to a tighta*se conservative government mean it's now 101 different technologies - I'm surprised Carrier Pigeon isn't one of them.
Message 10 of 52

@monsoon_qld wrote:
It hasn't killed it on mine but no Remote Access.

Does restoring the old firmware bring it back?

@monsoon_qld wrote:
And yes our government has stuffed it up. Initially was meant to be beautiful FTTP, but a change to a tighta*se conservative government mean it's now 101 different technologies - I'm surprised Carrier Pigeon isn't one of them.

The world has noticed:

How Australia Bungled Its $36 Billion High-Speed Internet Rollout - The New York Times

But don't beat yourselves up. BT has got an even longer history pof screwing up broadband in the UK. Maybe they sent some of your "experts" down under.

Message 11 of 52
monsoon_qld
Tutor

I haven't tried it. I'll just do without it for the time being. Although this isn't the first time a firmware or Genie upgrade has resulted in me losing remote access. Somehow it's reappeared if its own accord. It must be something in the water.

Northern Australia - Australia's own version of the US Deep South.
Message 12 of 52
monsoon_qld
Tutor

I don't know what's happened this morning but no wifi - devices keep disconnecting.  Access to internet itself "maybe" be OK  but don't know.  Did have one device giving me grief through the week but thought it was isolated to that device.

Message 13 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

lazza040, brent3000, mini_minnie, Wayne_E, I presume you all have NBN connections with FTTN/FTTB?

monsoon_qld your issue is clearly different to the others.

Message 14 of 52
monsoon_qld
Tutor

I'm on Fixed Wireless so I'm only using it as a router. The NTD acts as the modem. Rolled back to .22 and all iDevices maintaining wifi connection. Still no Remote Access though.
Message 15 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi Mdgm , I can confirm in my instance I am on FTTN via IInet , and pretty sure the others all have a similar flavour .. David

Message 16 of 52
brent3000
Tutor

Correct, Exetel FTTN for me,

Message 17 of 52
Wayne_E
Guide

I am also FTTN with iiNet. No connection with .24 until rollback to .22.
Message 18 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

lazza040, brent3000, mini_minnie, Wayne_E I've sent you PMs with a fix you can try.

Wayne_E is already running it and it's working well for him so far.

Message 19 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi there , I can too new fix works as well so far... Main thing is I have internet after updating FW 🙂  David 

Message 20 of 52
brent3000
Tutor

I can confirm the update works,

Question, is this patch going to be the official or will there be another patch we update to? 

I am seeing pings dropping on the local network under this patch tho,

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 49, Received = 47, Lost = 2 (4% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

Message 21 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

Interesting too , as my teenage sons think the Internet is slower , as the lag/ ping is more apparent when gaming to being quite noticable they could show me ( trying to play BF1?) , so maybe the FW does need a bit more work ? I can browse the internet , so I am happy .. 

Message 22 of 52
Gaz77a
Aspirant

I don’t think the issue is only NBN in Australia. 

I am on ADSL2+ in Australia and 1.0.1.24 disabled adsl. 

Resetting to factory defaults did not work. 

Restoring to 1.0.1.22 resolved the issue. 

I am surprised the firmware has not been pulled until the issues are resolved. 

Message 23 of 52
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We are looking into the issue with this firmware with NBN issues if you would like to help with this issue and work with support send me a PM if not I suggest using the .22 firmware if the .24 is not working.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 24 of 52
bdsee
Aspirant

I've sent a PM, I'm willing to help test this as I have a spare VDSL modem I can use in the meantime.

Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7