Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .24

gryphen
Aspirant

Is there any update on when a post v1.0.1.24 patch will be made available, seeming this patch was for "[Bug Fix] Fixed security issues" the delay has us apparently vulnerable to the security issues?

I have tried to do a complete factory reset, apply the patch and then setup the router, but it doesn't see the port as active, telling me the cable is not plugged in.

The only fix for me was to roll back to v1.0.1.22

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 26 of 52

Someone should combine these discussions:

Re: D7800 will not detect Dsl cable - NETGEAR Communities

Message 27 of 52
hardjards
Aspirant

How does one get the pre release firmware? Sounds like they could use a few more testers given the issues with .24. Any updates on timelines for release? Finding the nighthawk is pretty terrible for FTTN users
Message 28 of 52
Gaz77a
Aspirant

V1.0.1.28 has been released but I don’t see any mention of a fix to the above mentioned issue.
Has anyone installed v28 and if so was the issue resolved?

Message 29 of 52
hardjards
Aspirant

I an pretty sure that is a US firmware Gaz and not setup for Australian nbn. I think our current highest is .24 but itis currently unstable / unusable for fttn victims.
Message 30 of 52

@Gaz77a wrote:

V1.0.1.28 has been released but I don’t see any mention of a fix to the above mentioned issue.

Netgear's Release Notes are useless. They rarely say anything meaningful.

Message 31 of 52

@hardjards wrote:
I an pretty sure that is a US firmware...

What makes you think that?

Netgear flags region specific firmware as such. This is not the case for this release:

D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 32 of 52
pbosch12
Tutor

I have had the same problem for a while.  The VDSL connection to the NBN refused to work after paying for the support I was able to receive a new router, problem solved.  However, told not to upgrade to new firmware.

I have tested upgrading the firmware, keeping the previous version available, as soon as upgraded the internet stopped functionality.  Rolled back to the previous version - worked  - Problem diagnostic testing.

I am thinking about testing the latest version but need to make sure I have a working version first.

My current Firmware is V1.01.16 - everything is working fine but not happy that I cannot keep my product updated and protected from weak points

Hope this helps??

and as previous discussions seem to note the rolling back to a previously working version of the Firmware 

Message 33 of 52

Case850 wrote:

I would say that if it is not mentioned in the release notes then it has not been fixed. 

I wouldn't assume that. Netgear's release notes rarely say anything meaningful. Just bland statements about "Fixed security issues".

@pbosch12 is on the right track:

I am thinking about testing the latest version but need to make sure I have a working version first.

One thing you should not do when testing firmware is to save your settings and then restore them into the new firmware. That is a good way of bringing back issues that the firmware is supposed to fix.

It may be a pain, but if you have problems with new firmware installed, you should reset it all to factory settings and reconfigure the beast.

Message 34 of 52

Message 35 of 52

The only assumption I made was that Netgear's communication is rubbish. I don't seem to be alone in that.

From other messages around here, the assumption that Netgear has not fixed issues beyond security with this new firmware seems to by wrong.

Solved: Re: D7800 Firmware Update to v1.0.1.24 - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

Message 36 of 52

Do you have anything constructive to say about this issue? Or are you just here for the whine?

Message 37 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , best thing is if Netgear wont listen on the forums , just take your Modem back to your Retailer with your POP , and then Netgear will need to RMA the modem. No use getting worked up , as I gather they dont monitor the forums. Heck I have been told they have no Australian Netgear IT staff anymore which would have picked the issue up quickly & had a new version out quicker. Dont flame the moderators , they are only trying to help , but probably have no say in Netgear fixing the issue.. Australia's consumer law was bought in for a purpose , just print off the forum notes & that can prove to seller , there is a problem... 🙂 

Message 38 of 52

@Lazza040 wrote:

Heck I have been told they have no Australian Netgear IT staff anymore which would have picked the issue up quickly & had a new version out quicker.

I don't know who told you that, but I have seen messages here from people who have tried and failed to find local support. So this seems to be the case. Netgear now seems to run all its support "offshore".

That Netgear took so long to even acknowledge the problems with NBN wasn't encouraging. But the people behind NBN probably didn't help with their strange system.

How Australia Bungled Its $36 Billion High-Speed Internet Rollout - The New York Times

This strikes me as the best advice:

@Lazza040 wrote:

Hi all , best thing is if Netgear wont listen on the forums , just take your Modem back to your Retailer with your POP , and then Netgear will need to RMA the modem. 

If you qualify, your modem is less than a year old, you could also start the on-line RMA process.

Whatever you do, avoid Netgear's invitation to pay for a support contract. They offer that automatically when you call the support lines.

This is not likely to solve the firmware issue and their support may well be less capable than the free support you can get here from the small band of unpaid volunteers and the even smaller band of Netgear staff.

Message 39 of 52
Andeldur
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I experienced the VDSL port issue described here after firmware update as well. I'm with TPG. After getting Netgear to replace my D7800 via RMA, the latest firmware update to V1.0.1.31 causes the VDSL port to constantly drop the connection. Have downgraded the firmware to V1.01.20 and connection to  TPG has been stable.

Message 40 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi , I am running version V1.0.1.31 on my Netgear D7800 with iinet ( same owner as Westnet / TPG) No issues at all with dropouts with VDSL , has been very stable since version released.. Doesnt help you , but maybe get support to check your line just in case? David

Message 41 of 52
pbosch12
Tutor

It is the firmware and have repeated the process several times NETGEAR needs to follow-up on problems and fix it.
The firmware is the old version and runs on VDSL
I have thought about the latest version but need to ensure complete backup.
Message 42 of 52
pbosch12
Tutor

Connected to the nbn Fibre to the node
Via VDSL
Message 43 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , just a normal FTTN NBN connection owned by the Taxpayer 🙂 , my ISP is Westnet.

Message 44 of 52
gryphen
Aspirant

Guys,

I've upgraded to the latest firmware v1.0.1.31 with no issues on NBN (iiNet), only thing I had to do was disable/enable the Dynamic DNS I was using to get it to identify the IP address for no-ip.

Otherwise its just running and behaving itself at this point. 

Message 45 of 52
Wayne_E
Guide

I can confirm that since firmware update v1.0.1.25 and up to current v1.0.1.31 the D7800 is stable for VDSL connecting to the Australian NBN. However always best to keep a copy of your previous firmware and backup of settings in case there is another disastrous release of firmware like v1.0.1.24, and be prepared to rollback if necessary. This should really be the end of this forum topic. (ie "Faulty firmware - .24")
Message 46 of 52
DiggerDawson
Aspirant

Thanks everyone. I’m finally ready to update. 

Message 47 of 52
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , upgraded to V1.0.1.34 too , working fine so far. NBN via FTTN - iinet. Though I have noticed my wireless dropping in & out with last version, so doing more testing, maybe my modem perhaps. 🙂

Message 48 of 52
drhpatron
Aspirant

Does anyone know if V1.0.1.34 fixes the BT Openreach VDSL problem?  I had to roll back to V1.0.1.22 to get a stable connection but would like to upgrade tp get the security patches - but will only do so if the BT VDSL problems have been resolvec.

Message 49 of 52
hardjards
Aspirant

Not sure about other vdsl fttn users but i have found .34 to be stable and workable
Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7