Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 issue with connecting to certain webpages and online games after replacement

ChrisNS
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 issue with connecting to certain webpages and online games after replacement

Hi guys, my first post ever on this forum. So basically I have had a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router and has worked great for the last few years. Recently I noticed wifi speeds and ports on the router not working. The router was basically on it's way out. So I went and got another one, the same exact model, connected it and I noticed my speeds on wifi increased dramatically and everything seemed to be working correctly. My problem is, now for some reason I cannot connect to certain online games like Destiny 2 and certain web pages do not load. I checked all my settings and they seem correct so I connected the modem straight to the PC and everything connected fine, so I knew it's the router. I then decided to just copy my old routers config file and import to my new router since they're exactly the same. Still didnt work, even though I connected the old router and everything connected again. I updated the firmware...still nothing, downgraded firmware....nothing. The only thing that changed in my configuration was my ISP put in a new cable modem that supports my 1Gb connection. I'm really confused as I do not understand what is going on. I thought it might be a DNS issue but it's not. I disabled the firewall on my computer and other settings in my router but can not figure it out. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I'm completely lost on what to do next. Thank you guys. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNS
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 issue with connecting to certain webpages and online games after replace

So I decided to power off the modem and router by unplugging them overnight. In the morning I reconnected them and to my surprise, everything is now working correctly.  Thank you for the advice Michael Kenward as now I know not to import old settings from routers into new ones even if they're the same model. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 issue with connecting to certain webpages and online games after replace

@ChrisNS wrote:

The only thing that changed in my configuration was my ISP put in a new cable modem that supports my 1Gb connection.

The only thing that's changed?

A new modem means that you have a completely different network. And with 1 Gb Internet your service is fundamentally different.

Start from scratch. Update your new router's firmware to its latest version. Then "factory reset" its settings. Under no circumstances load old settings from a different device, even if it is the same model.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Start your network in the sequence laid down in the Quick Start Guide.

Netgear also advises disabling QoS when you have Gb Internet.

Message 2 of 4
ChrisNS
Aspirant

So I decided to power off the modem and router by unplugging them overnight. In the morning I reconnected them and to my surprise, everything is now working correctly.  Thank you for the advice Michael Kenward as now I know not to import old settings from routers into new ones even if they're the same model. Have a great day!

Message 3 of 4

It might work to import saved settings, but not when you have made dramatic changes. It just isn't worth the hassle.

Glad it worked out in the end.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7