Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800 slow speed as an AP

devilinpants
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800 slow speed as an AP

I have recently gotten NBN in my house in Australia. After first setting it up with my Netgear Nighthawk D7800 I was surprised to only be getting 10-12mbs when I was supposed to be getting 20+. I ended up plugging in the Telstra gateway max and instantly got speeds of 20+. That's fine I thought at least I'll use it as an access point in the shed it has got to be better than the one I've got out there now which is a cheap Belkin N300. I factory reset it and then changed it into an access point. On my $50 belkin I can get 15mbs as an AP but on my Netgear Nighthawk D7800 I'm only getting 7mbs as an AP.

Am I configuring it wrong? Why is the $500 dollar netgear slower than a $50 belkin? I'm assuming it's a setting that I am not checking or something right? If you can help me I'd really appreciate it.

Message 1 of 5
BryanSD
Apprentice

What is NBN?

What version of firmware is on your D7800? Here in the United States, or at least with my ISP, even if you own the modem the cable provider controls the firmware upgrades and often they're behind a number of versions. It's one of the reasons I won't do a router/wi-fi combo but instead have two separate devices. I'm happy with my R7800 but I don't own the D7800.

Bryan

Message 2 of 5
devilinpants
Aspirant

It has the latest version. Can anyone give me any recommendations?

Message 3 of 5
BryanSD
Apprentice

What worries me is that you say you get 20+ Mbps but even when you plug in the Belkin as an AP you're only seeing 15 Mbps. I get 75 Mbps and I can realize almost the full amount with my R7800 as a router and my older and cheaper Negear router that I'm using as an AP. Have you tried swapping out for your cables (should be Cat5e or Cat 6)?

Other than that, maybe you just got a lemmon and need to exchange your D7800 for another.

Message 4 of 5
TH35W4G5T3R
Aspirant

not sure if this will work but it is worth a try for those still needing an answer. Go to the Web UI go to advanced, then advanced setup then router/ap mode. select ROUTER. then navigate to setup, then internet setup. Over here select your ISP. Select No for if your internet requires a login and click apply. Then navigate to WAN settings on the left, click down on WAN preference and choose must use Ethernet WAN.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7