Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear X4S ADSL internet drop outs

Netgear X4S ADSL internet drop outs

Replaced my ISP (Telstra) modem/router last weekend. Set it up with the latest firmware and it has been working but I'm experiencing intermittent internet drop outs (including when wired).

A reboot of the modem remedies the problem temporarily but obviously don't want to have to keep doing this.

When I experience the drop out, on accessing the modem using genie it will say that the cable is disconnected.I recal when setting up the modem that I had the same error when trying to use the old filter, but the supplied netgear one worked.

Telstra have confirmed that all appears to be working on their end.

Netgear suggested to change the MAC address to that of my computer. I'm wondering whether this is a good solution though because I read that this is not recommended because should anyone try to hack into my network - they would have direct access to my computer. Also Telstra suggested that the MAC address shouldn't matter 'because it's copper'. 

That being said - following Netgear supports suggestion - it is working again (just need to wait and see how it goes).

Can anyone confirm whether there are any issues with using my laptops mac address? I read a similar post on these forums where someone had done the same but there wasn't really an explanation.

I current have these connected: desktop PC (ethernet), a NAS (ethernet), Windows laptop (5GHz), Mac (5GHz), and several other wireless devices (2.4GHz). Note: I included this info but not sure if it's relevant. The wireless network is working.

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear X4S ADSL internet drop outs

I returned mine and purchased this:

Ubiquiti edgerouter Lite

Ubiquiti AC Pro WAP

Cheap 16port unmanaged TP-Link switch

It's rock solid with my original telstra modem. Note the edgerouter lite is not plug and play (you could get the unifi one instead), and officially the Ubiquiti support only covers their Unifi range. But I used the wizard which got my local network working, and I contacted ubiquiti live chat (via the web interface that comes with the WAP - no stuffing around in a que or on hold) and they helped me troubleshoot the internet connection i.e. I needed to enter in the internet IP instead of my modem because it was in bridge mode.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 22

All Replies

The 'use computer mac address' option did not fix the problem.

Just did a modem reboot to get it working again.

Message 2 of 22

Just added model number if that helps. 🙂

I'm still experiencing drop outs - I can't seem to get through to phone support, after waiting in the que it disconnects...

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 22

Are you an hardcore downloader?

Message 4 of 22

No, neither of us download a great deal. Mostly web browsing and streaming.
Message 5 of 22

what are your numbers noise attenuation and so on.

How far is your phone plug filter from your modem/router?

Message 6 of 22

By the way did you try to reboot, factory reset the device.

Did you olso unplug and replug the phone connection?

Can you replace the filter?

Message 7 of 22

Hi

Noise attenuation stats are:

22.3dB Down

12.1dB Up

Noise margin:

6.2dB Down

6.7dB Up

I'm using the supplied (short) cables that came with the modem. I've disconnected and reconnected the cable a few times. Reboot is usually how I 'temporarily' remedy the problem (or by re-applying my modem internet settings)

I will try a factory reset this evening. If that doesn't work I can buy a new filter (note: the filter that came with the ISP modem also didn't work at all, and I had the same 'disconected cable' message.)

Thanks for taking a look.

Dave

Message 8 of 22

""

Hi

Noise attenuation stats are:

22.3dB Down

12.1dB Up

Noise margin:

6.2dB Down

6.7dB Up""" those numbers are far better than my crap!!!!

"the filter that came with the ISP modem also didn't work at all, and I had the same 'disconected cable' message.)" usually ISP provide crappy master devices!!!

you are welcome from FrogLand!

Message 9 of 22

After some reading I believe that I don't need a filter as I'm not using a telephone.

I did a reset, and a reboot, I re set up the internet which was working for a few seconds. I'm struggling to even log into it now. Internet is down.

I reconnected the ISP modem and called Telstra again. All is working fine with the original modem. And they confirmed I don't need a filter.

On calling Netgear, after navigating the menus the line disconnects. Had this for days now.
Message 10 of 22

@david_spittle wrote:

Just added model number if that helps.

Sadly, it is not visible to the rest of us.

D7800?

Message 11 of 22

Yep that's the one
Message 12 of 22

Could running PIA VPN server on my laptop cause thisn problem? I've not been paying attention as to whether I've had it running every time Ive had problems. 

Message 13 of 22

This was not caused by the VPN.

Thinking of returning the product - too hard.

Message 14 of 22

This was not caused by the VPN.

Thinking of returning the product - too hard.

Message 15 of 22

After repeated support calls. Netgear suggested I return the modem for a replacement.

I'm reluctant to try the model again as there are so many posts on here with the same problems. Can anyone recommend a modem that is consistently reliable that just works? Doesn't have to be Netgear.

I'm with Telstra ADSL. Will use with Readynas 314. XPS 15 laptop (Win10). Two wired desktop PCs soon to be on Windows 10. MacBook Air. iPhones, t-box.

My ISP provided modem works great but I needed a faster local network.
Message 16 of 22

@david_spittle wrote:
My ISP provided modem works great but I needed a faster local network.

How about buying a router to work in tandem with the modem?

First check that you can configure it to work in "modem only" or bridge mode.

Message 17 of 22
JCHH
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem.

I have a new d7800 rouyer and it is losing internet approx 1/week with the error "nio ethernet cxable is plugged into the Riuter Internet Port".

Switiching the router off and one fixed the problem every time.

I am finding this very fryustrating and have no idea what is causing it.

Message 18 of 22

@JCHH wrote:

I am having the exact same problem.

Have you flashed with the latest firmware and then reset to factory defaults?

You don't say.

Message 19 of 22
JCHH
Aspirant

Hi,

yes I had done that (and flashed over ethernet, not WIFI).

I have just been on to suppoort (I am withtin my 90 days) and the dude told me to change my MTU from 1500 to 1492 (I am PPPoE).

I'll wait and see if this fixes the problem.  I have researched this a little online, and it seems that 1500 is the max only for PPPoA (and it also says that maybe 1462 is better for PPPoA).

Message 20 of 22
JCHH
Aspirant

...made no difference.

Message 21 of 22

I returned mine and purchased this:

Ubiquiti edgerouter Lite

Ubiquiti AC Pro WAP

Cheap 16port unmanaged TP-Link switch

It's rock solid with my original telstra modem. Note the edgerouter lite is not plug and play (you could get the unifi one instead), and officially the Ubiquiti support only covers their Unifi range. But I used the wizard which got my local network working, and I contacted ubiquiti live chat (via the web interface that comes with the WAP - no stuffing around in a que or on hold) and they helped me troubleshoot the internet connection i.e. I needed to enter in the internet IP instead of my modem because it was in bridge mode.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7