Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear giving up on the DGND3700, DGND3700v2 to be released instead.

Ryster
Tutor

Netgear giving up on the DGND3700, DGND3700v2 to be released instead.

Dear Mr. Spooner,

This is from NETGEAR 2nd Level Technical Support.

As requested, attached to the link below is the .19_Test3 firmware:

I would as well like to report to you that Engineering had just provided me the details about the IPv6 feature request of yours. It will not be provided on the NETGEAR DGND3700 with future releases firmware’s. They have stated that they will include the feature on the release of the NETGEAR DGND3700v2, with more stable hardware components. For as you are aware that the DGND3700 is experiencing a stability issue with regard to Internet connection. However, there is no ETA yet of the release of the DGND3700v2.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

So, an admission that the DGND3700 contains unstable hardware components, and they have to release new hardware to fix it. Also no IPv6 support coming, despite being promised it back in November and then December. Does this seem like a kick in the guts to any one else here? It does to me, and it makes me very annoyed. :mad:

Given the admission that the DGND3700 contains faulty/unstable hardware, what do you think the chances are of them recalling all the flaky 3700's and replacing them with v2?
Message 1 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

I'd hope if you keep on them they'd at least give you an upgrade discount but I'd think that since they are replacing as needed during the warranted period that they may not give you a full replacement.

I just know last year when my xbox was having rights management issues as soon as it was fixed any offers disappeared and so did the people complaining:eek:.

I'd just keep reminding them your displeased.
Message 2 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Not good at all but at least a step in the right direction. I personally was about to by the DGND3700 (have used a trusty DGN834PN for years but now need more range and signal due to a move to streaming to TV) but having checked this forum I have investigated further and am glad that I did not purchase. 😮

Question now is when will v2 be out in the shops & how will one differentiate between the original version. :confused:

Regards

Balders
Message 3 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

I'd assume somewhere in June if there already making plans for v2 . I saw the V1 in January and it didn't start popping up till 6-7 months later.

What I ask is if they are already testing the 3800 in Germany and way early details on the DGND4000, why even make a version 2 of the DGND 3700?

All I want to know right now is about fiber compatibility with all the fiber being run through my home area(which neither support advertised modem/routers do). As much as I don't want anyone buying an older version , I don't want to go back to paying for my isp modem if FTTH comes to me.
Message 4 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Understand where you are coming from. We are pretty backward here as we are still running ADSL1 (live in a semi rural environment) and so I am looking to purchase an ADSL2/2+ with ADSL1 compatibility so I am ready for when my ISP moves our exchange over to the newer ADSL technology and possibly even FIOS (which they have but only to the more major population areas).

So my attention was caught by the reviews that have advised that the 3700 has caused connectivity problems for some users with ADSL1 connectivity. Hopefully, the v2 hardware changes will resolve that.

Also understand what you are saying re. the other models (not sure that we will get the 3800 in the UK...not seen it advertised on the Netgear UK site) however the 4000 (or N750) seems to be already on sale here and I would go for it if it were not over expensive for what I am looking for, i.e., more than the 3700 hence why I am interested in the 3700 v2.

Cheers

Balders
Message 5 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

With the imminent end of the life cycle of IPv4 numbers, Netgear are effectively saying that the DGND3700 will not work when IPv6 is available for everyone.

I personally would have hoped that this router would have lasted a couple of years more. Ideally i would have liked it to last 5 years or so.

I do not think that this will be possible now. So much for it being a high-end product. :mad:
Message 6 of 287
Ryster
Tutor

Scubbie, I can live without IPv6. That's not why they're giving up on the v1 though, it's because it contains sub-standard unstable hardware components. The L2 support guy admitted as much in my quote up there.
Message 7 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

If I really wanted to keep it my 3300v1 was still ticking long after my dlink di624 died twice. So far without adsl2 or better coming out or ipv6 coming down my isp's path this is what I'm keeping (dgnd3700v1) at least till 802.11ac comes out (gigabit wireless):D.

Long and short when Netgear's not giving you trouble , "IT's A BEAST":D.
Message 8 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Ryster wrote:
Scubbie, I can live without IPv6. That's not why they're giving up on the v1 though, it's because it contains sub-standard unstable hardware components. The L2 support guy admitted as much in my quote up there.

No problem, although he actually said that the new version would have 'more stable hardware components', which implies that the components are sub-standard, but perhaps not as good as they could be now.

With regards to IPv6, I was under the impression that the whole Internet would have been making steps to upgrade and switchover within a couple of years.
Message 9 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

Weren't you the one that said ipv6 slowed since the big companies converted freeing up ipv4 addresses? I haven't heard any further since they tested ipv6 last year.
Message 10 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
Weren't you the one that said ipv6 slowed since the big companies converted freeing up ipv4 addresses? I haven't heard any further since they tested ipv6 last year.

I can't recall now, but I accept the the urgency has changed.

IMHO it would be foolish to run two IP systems for too long as it will slow the some performance over the Internet as systems are swapping between IPv4 & IPv6 references. I would surely be better to use just the one system.

6th June 2012 has been declared the date for "World IPv6 Launch" by The Internet Society. From this date IPv6 should be available as standard by many participating ISPs, manufacturers and sites.
Message 11 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

Should, but my luck that just means capable like the sticker on your laptop for windows 7. They can still not install the software. It all comes down to "what does it do for the bottom dollar" . For our sakes ,inadaquate or not ipv6 "should" be able to be enabled on this device. Is there a pro version of this device, since I'd bet it has it.
Message 12 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

I'm not so sure about USA Consumer Laws, but I believe that here in the UK it would mean that that the DGND3700 could be classed as unfit for purpose if they abandon IPv6 support and this could result in every owner getting it replaced FOC.

This is something that would have to be checked before jumping to such conclusions though.

The time period for such issues has been extended considerably in the UK and is no longer limited to just 6 or 12 months.
Message 13 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

I can't say mines unfit and I'm sure depending how they word it that this router should be able to run it but there focusing on more pressing issues like your red lights and dissconnects. If they fix those issues we'd probably have ipv6 by christmas holiday weekend [if they choose to].

The version 2's not even listed on the site yet over than the confirmation of the 3800 and they all lead back to this forum via google and no press release.

We'll find out in 6+ Months what the deal is, but both the 3800 and 4000 don't have listings for how to set up ipv6 so go with that expectation.
Message 14 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:

I personally would have hoped that this router would have lasted a couple of years more. Ideally i would have liked it to last 5 years or so.

I do not think that this will be possible now. So much for it being a high-end product. :mad:
I would just like this router to stay connected - not much to ask from a very expensive flagship model by a company with years of router experience.

If Netgear bring out a version 2 of this device then I will demanding one as a replacement. Its the least they can do after wasting so much of my time beta testing one shoddy firmware version after another for the past 6 months 😞
Message 15 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Following the success of another member who had constant issues with the Red Light issue, could I suggest that you too take a look at your telephone wiring?

A few simple checks to try are as follows:

Plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket (if it is not available, use the Master Socket, with EVERYTHING else disconnected). Dial '1' and listen for any noise on the line. Ideally is should be virtually silent, with perhaps some faint hiss.

If you have any crackling or loud hiss, then you have a line fault. You will need to contact your line provider to arrange for this to be resolved. They in turn will arrange for BT Openreach to visit. Don't mention broadband issues if your lone provider is different to the ISP as this will confuse the issue.

If the line is fine, could you confirm how you are connecting your router to the telephone line please? Mention if you are using any extensions, filtered faceplates or the short ADSL lead supplied with the Netgear router. Also could you confirm whether you are in a flat, with the telephone line coming up through the building or in a house with the telephone line coming directly from outside. Could you also take a look to see if there are any BT or BTO Junction boxes. If you do, could you post a link to a photo of it with the cover off please.
Message 16 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

Hi Scubbie,

Have done a few line tests with my ISP recently, no noise was detected.

And if I use my ISP router then it works fine and reconnects automatically when sync in dropped - unlike the DGND3700 which just sits there waiting for me to notice it & manually turn it off/on again.

Both routers work ok apart from this so I can't see how the wiring etc could be affecting the Netgear DGND3700 any differently to my ISP router. Yes I accept that I'm on a long line with high SNR and will occasionally lose sync but that isn't an issue with my ISP router was that resyncs by itself each time it occurs.

FYI - I am using one of the newer filtered BTo faceplates, and also have tried directly into the test socket with no difference noted. No extensions are used. And yes I am in a flat (quite high up).

But ultimately if the line/wiring was at fault somewhere then I would expect to see the same problems with both routers.

I'm not an expert but I firmly believe the issue is simply caused by the DGND3700 unable to work properly on an ADSL1 profile which I have at the moment. If you google around & read some customer reviews you will see that its a known issue that Netgear have yet to resolve.

When I was on an ADSL2 profile a while back the issue did not occur with the DGND3700. But I want to stick with ADSL1 as it means that I get better line stability/higher speeds.
Message 17 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
...I'm not an expert but I firmly believe the issue is simply caused by the DGND3700 unable to work properly on an ADSL1 profile which I have at the moment...

I agree that the outstanding Red Light is now just with ADSL1 connections. I believe that the DGND3700 just is not good enough for this kind of connection.

There is a new filtered faceplate available now which is what is being used for the vDSL connections by BTO, but will work perfectly well on ADSL connections too. Dave from run-It-direct has suggested that early reports indicate that it is better than many of the other faceplates previously available. Could I suggest that you take a look and chat with Dave about it?

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html

He would have gone home now, but he will be back in the morning. If you order before 4pm, then it will normally be delivered the next day.

Whilst there, ask him if there is a possibility of REIN interference and what he can suggest in your case to help reduce it.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm
Message 18 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

I havr adsl1 with no red lights. I'm probably a fluke with all thats occuring but I can't speak for all since somthing is obviosly going on with your modems. I just know with my area I always see them out around and our responcive to my issues and I'm not on a flat.

... I'll be much more satified when your networks run well btw
Message 19 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

theTechman05 wrote:
I havr adsl1 with no red lights.
Just wanted to add that my loss of sync issue on ADSL1 isn't to do with the red light issue.

My router sync just stops all of a sudden and the lights remain green.......until I turn the thing off/back on again.
Message 20 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Scubbie wrote:
...There is a new filtered faceplate available now which is what is being used for the vDSL connections by BTO, but will work perfectly well on ADSL connections too. Dave from run-It-direct has suggested that early reports indicate that it is better than many of the other faceplates previously available. Could I suggest that you take a look and chat with Dave about it?

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html

Hi Scubbie

Have checked up on the faceplate that you mention as I have been considering fitting one (not this one) but have hesitated as some advice received said "good move even if one has no problems" whilst others have said "if it is not broken then don't fix it", etc.

As someone who appears to know his onions (if you follow my drift) would you fit a faceplate in my circumstances, ie, no discernible issues noted, given that this faceplate is supposed to be that good & the price is very reasonable, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to provide.

Regards

Balders
Message 21 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Baldrick wrote:
Have checked up on the faceplate that you mention as I have been considering fitting one (not this one) but have hesitated as some advice received said "good move even if one has no problems" whilst others have said "if it is not broken then don't fix it", etc.

A couple of Christmases back I bought two filtered faceplates (NTE-2005). One each for a friend and myself. They helped her more as she has a few telephone extensions. The filtered faceplate cleaned up her connection considerably and helped to tidy up the Master Socket.

Baldrick wrote:
As someone who appears to know his onions (if you follow my drift) would you fit a faceplate in my circumstances, ie, no discernible issues noted, given that this faceplate is supposed to be that good & the price is very reasonable, etc?

"her onions" please ;). Someone will get in a pickle over this. :cool:

If you have an NTE5 socket, plug a relatively new microfilter into the test socket (located behind the faceplate) and use the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Netgear router. Now compare the connection stats to what you normally have. Look at all the figures (Line Attenuation, Connection Speed & Noise Margin) for both the downstream and upstream connections.

If the Line Attenuations drop, the speed increases or the speed stays the same, but the noise margin increases, then a filtered faceplate is a good choice for you.

If you have any hardwired extensions, then a filtered faceplate is for you.

The faceplate that you have linked above will work on both vDSL (specifically FTTC) and ADSL connections supplied via a BT style connection. It is also the only faceplate that BTO currently use for their FTTC installations.

A major disadvantage is for those who use their routers on an extension. A filtered faceplate will isolate the signal at the Master socket and it you wire the extensions correctly, they will no longer be able to receive the signal.

There are simple ways to work with this, but everyone's home is different. In many cases the Master socket is in a hallway and there are no power sockets neat to it.
Message 22 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Scubbie wrote:
..."her onions" please ;). Someone will get in a pickle over this. :cool:...

Oooooooops...apologies for my mistake...I was not thinking. 😮

Thanks for the reply & the information. I will review what you have said in detail and see what I can determine re. this. Having said that it sounds like fitting a faceplate cannot hurt except in the wallet (and even then it is not a big hurt really) if it provides no additional benefit when compared to without one.

Regards

Balders 😄
Message 23 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

For me it just gave me the piece of mind I wasn't going to hit it with any thing as it is sticking out from the wall. My line is already house filtered and separated from the rest of the home.

I got a sample of the Suttle 2 line faceplate filter but for me my lines to my box is the limitation. I gained a minute difference being I was using almost new dangly filters so it depends. Email Suttle and ask for a sample since you can't get them in the wild without doing that (either they sell out fast or I haven't found a site with inventory). They go for about 8 dollars U.S.D so it can't hurt.

Two line or not it has a separator so you can still use the plugs for phone and fax ect.

Keep us posted if you get good(better than current) results
Message 24 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

You people doing a dump on google:confused: (not dump in the software sense but someones typed it in so much its floating on the top:rolleyes:) , its giving unusually direct results on this matter. I still can't find a page on this matter (Actual netgear page saying what to expect on the revison) but google shows works being done on version 2.

I hope its one of you having problems is playing with this thing (even though you'd probably be nda'd if you were and can't say) and getting the results you wanted.

Somebody with a press pass get us some good details. This is like waiting for e3 for me:eek::eek::eek:.
Message 25 of 287
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7