Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear giving up on the DGND3700, DGND3700v2 to be released instead.

Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
For me it just gave me the piece of mind I wasn't going to hit it with any thing as it is sticking out from the wall. My line is already house filtered and separated from the rest of the home....

This bit is for reference for those unfamiliar with the telephone wiring in the UK.

There are a few different styles of wiring up telephone lines in the UK at present. With the roll out of FTTC across the UK, BT Openreach are having to change everyone to an NTE5 Master Socket as it allows for the filtered faceplates to be fitted.

The fun bit starts when you realise that there are many places that BT has put the master socket in the past and that now it pays to have the master socket near to where you want the router or BTO Modem to be, with a suitable power source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_sockets#Master_socket_and_NTE-5_Line_Box

If you scroll up the page linked above, you will see what it has migrated from. Scrolling down you will see some of the wiring options.

What may be interesting is the picture of the I-Plate. This is now effectively redundant, but BTO's newest faceplate (the vDSL faceplate) would fit together in this same manner.

Wires 2 & 5 are needed on any extensions, but also the 'Ring wire' is still used in a few cases for extensions.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm (scroll down to 'Telephone Cable' & 'The Ring wire' below that)

Since the ring wire can interfere with the ADSL signal, it became common practise to disconnect it. However a correctly fitted filtered faceplate make that work redundant too.
Message 26 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

I was more aware of the electrical difference but I thought telephone plugs were more the same .

We never did specify in the topic if this was a UK release post or other country post , so go with the fact I'm not talking specific countries unless I find the need to. Remember this is mixed company unless it says specific affiliation.

Kind fun how tricky those picture make it look to get into your connection box. Mines(US version) has one screw entry and has got a test plug but its also got screw mounts on customer side to go into the home and not 110 punches. Mine goes further in to more screw and then off to anywhere in the house with to end boxes which the new ones from my construction store are punch down and out to the phone(that including my faceplate filter out to my V1 router).

let me know other wise if there are any more differences and we'll go from there. Other wise continue this post as as v2 post.
Message 27 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
I was more aware of the electrical difference but I thought telephone plugs were more the same .

We never did specify in the topic if this was a UK release post or other country post , so go with the fact I'm not talking specific countries unless I find the need to. Remember this is mixed company unless it says specific affiliation...

Sorry, I felt it was important and useful to point out the differences.

I was aware that your sockets are very different to ours.

The fact that in most cases only one company has been responsible for installing the telephone sockets around the UK helps too. Although technically this isn't 100% true as many flats tend to have the builders install the sockets, but they follow the wiring guidelines in the previous post.

The worse thing they do tends to be to use cheap wire that picks up interference from other wires in the ducting.
Message 28 of 287
adl
Novice
Novice

keith_thfc wrote:
And if I use my ISP router then it works fine and reconnects automatically when sync in dropped - unlike the DGND3700 which just sits there waiting for me to notice it & manually turn it off/on again.

FYI -- You do NOT have to cycle the power switch to get it to reconnect. If you disconnect the telephone line, wait for the red light to go out then reconnect the telephone line then it should be reconnected in another 40-50 seconds. It might immediately disconnect again but...

FWIW, I found that the DGND3700 would automatically reconnect about one time out of six -- although that was not evenly distributed.

Scubbie wrote:
Following the success of another member who had constant issues with the Red Light issue, could I suggest that you too take a look at your telephone wiring?

If I'm the guy of which you write, then a follow-up report might be of some value.

Since I installed a CAT5 line, completely isolated from all the telephone wiring in the house (but with telephone and fax machine also connected), three weeks ago (8 Feb) there has been a total of one disconnect -- completely the ISP's problem and it took about 5 hours to resolve. The DGND3700 was down one additional time when I switched around electrical connections so I could move the UPS.

Line stats for the last 7+ days shows:
- 20.0 db attenuation downstream
- 11.5 db attenuation upstream
- 18.8 db noise margin downstream
- 19.0 db noise margin upstream
Data is available for the other two CAT5-wiring time blocks but isn't much different. I've got to take the time to compare before and after the re-wiring someday.
Message 29 of 287
dewi
Tutor

Wow! I'm so glad that I eventually got a refund on my DGND3700. My replacement, a Billion 7800N, hasn't disconnected in 40 days. I would have thought that any UK purchasers still having problems would be entitled to a refund or a replacement by an DGND3700v2 under the Sale of Goods Act on the grounds that the problem existed when they received the router.
Message 30 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Certainly the Sale of Goods Act is something that I have considered, but in fairness I have been very happy with the performance of the router when it is working.

Having said that, I've had to reboot my router yet again this afternoon. Internet access was fine, even streaming content. I just couldn't access the GUI.
Message 31 of 287
dewi
Tutor

It depends on how often you have to reboot. I was on an ADSL1 connection and was having to reset the router every few days. My wife and I were getting fed up of the Internet connection dropping all the time. I expected the problems to have been fixed by now. It seems from this thread that the disconnections might be caused by a hardware issue, not just a firmware issue.
Message 32 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Certainly I would agree that based on the many comments in this section of the forum that there is a hardware issue and that the firmware 'adjustments' are primarily to compensate for that.

It also looks like the worst of them appear to be with ADSL1 connections that are particularly long or on poor connections now.
Message 33 of 287
Ryster
Tutor

Well Level 2 support have tried to initiate an RMA return for my router out of the blue. I've questioned them what for though.

If it's just to replace it with another 3700, then what's the point? This issue is widespread enough to prove that it's not an isolated fault with my router. I'll have the exact same problem with the replacement.

I'm awaiting to hear back what they are planning.
Message 34 of 287
So_Solid_Jedi
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
I agree that the outstanding Red Light is now just with ADSL1 connections. I believe that the DGND3700 just is not good enough for this kind of connection.

There is a new filtered faceplate available now which is what is being used for the vDSL connections by BTO, but will work perfectly well on ADSL connections too. Dave from run-It-direct has suggested that early reports indicate that it is better than many of the other faceplates previously available. Could I suggest that you take a look and chat with Dave about it?

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html

He would have gone home now, but he will be back in the morning. If you order before 4pm, then it will normally be delivered the next day.

Whilst there, ask him if there is a possibility of REIN interference and what he can suggest in your case to help reduce it.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Hi scubbie, does this bt vdsl faceplate you link to, offer better performance/stability over my current ADSL Nation Professional XTE-2005 Faceplate? Is it worth upgrading?

I got to say i am a little disappointed to hear that out DGND3700 v1 units have substandard parts in them? 😞 It's very true to form of Netgear to release revision's of their hardware, it's hard to swallow though, when its for reasons such as substandard workmanship though, i mean when microsoft made the big mistakes with their xbox hardware atleast they kinda took the hit and extended the warranties by 2 more years for those with defective older hardware. It would be nice to think Netgear could support it's customers a little more in a similar way if these units do indeed contain substandard parts. It will be an interesting one to watch, i'm interested in the DGND4000 and i haven't had many issue's with my DGND3700 so far, if they offer a replacement for a v2 i would accept, if however they don't, i will probably move onto the DGND4000 rather than purchasing a v2 and will either pass down my working DGND3700 v1 or sell it on.
Message 35 of 287
dewi
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
It also looks like the worst of them appear to be with ADSL1 connections that are particularly long or on poor connections now.

That's me. ADSL1 on a long line. I think I saw this router at its worst.
Message 36 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Ryster wrote:
Well Level 2 support have tried to initiate an RMA return for my router out of the blue. I've questioned them what for though.

There is a possibility that the tolerance of the components is a little too varied and a replacement router may result in a better performance.

I have had a couple of replacements to date.

So_Solid_Jedi wrote:
Hi scubbie, does this bt vdsl faceplate you link to, offer better performance/stability over my current ADSL Nation Professional XTE-2005 Faceplate? Is it worth upgrading?

Rather than post the wrong facts, could I suggest that in this instance that you contact run-IT-direct? He has commented that some customers have confirmed an improvement but he was unable to confirm at the time whether that was because the old filtered faceplate was worn out or that it did indeed improve things.

If you have had the faceplate for a couple of yours, then I do not think that there will be any improvement. If you suspect that the faceplate has lost it's edge and are looking to replace it anyway, then go for the vDSL faceplate.

From my understanding BTO are now using this in cases where there are line issues with ADSL customers, where they used to supply the v1 ADSL faceplate. This could purely be because they carry one faceplate and this is the one required for FTTC connections.

For anyone fitting a faceplate for the first time on an existing NTE5 socket, it makes complete sense to use this if they have any hard-wired extensions as they no longer need to get an IDC tool and wire the extensions to the back of the new faceplate.

So_Solid_Jedi wrote:
I got to say i am a little disappointed to hear that out DGND3700 v1 units have substandard parts in them? 😞 It's very true to form of Netgear to release revision's of their hardware, it's hard to swallow though, when its for reasons such as substandard workmanship though, i mean when microsoft made the big mistakes with their xbox hardware atleast they kinda took the hit and extended the warranties by 2 more years for those with defective older hardware. It would be nice to think Netgear could support it's customers a little more in a similar way if these units do indeed contain substandard parts. It will be an interesting one to watch, i'm interested in the DGND4000 and i haven't had many issue's with my DGND3700 so far, if they offer a replacement for a v2 i would accept, if however they don't, i will probably move onto the DGND4000 rather than purchasing a v2 and will either pass down my working DGND3700 v1 or sell it on.

Without knowing the actual technical issues, I would be reluctant to say that any components are "sub-standard".

The v2 model has only been mentioned in this thread, but I am not aware of it landing in the shops and certainly there does not appear to be any mention of it on the Netgear site (I have just checked) on the product description or support pages.

The DGND4000 has yet landed in the shops in the UK. I guess we shall have to wait a little longer before we can pass any further comments on that one for when people actually start using it.
Message 37 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:

The v2 model has only been mentioned in this thread, but I am not aware of it landing in the shops and certainly there does not appear to be any mention of it on the Netgear site (I have just checked) on the product description or support pages.

The DGND4000 has yet landed in the shops in the UK. I guess we shall have to wait a little longer before we can pass any further comments on that one for when people actually start using it.

All I know scubbie is I keep tripping over v2 firmware, so I know at least the software exists. As for the device as you say there is no post pictures or firm details as of yet. If I find it I'll let you know as long as I don't find one on my door step:D.
Message 38 of 287
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Looks like Netgear has a place holder for the v2 now.
http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/20194
Message 39 of 287
So_Solid_Jedi
Aspirant

w3wilkes wrote:
Looks like Netgear has a place holder for the v2 now.
http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/20194

Grrr..... looks like its a done deal then, in that case, i hope netgear offer us a free upgrade to the v2? Or atleast accept our v1's back and we pay a little more to have it replaced with the v2. I'm all for pushing boundaries with tech and stuff but some of these companies seem to be taking the pee a little. I mean if it was an Xbox 360 or PS3, you would get wind of this news and be able to trade in your old model for the new one, why is there not such a scheme with some other tech? like Routers for instance? Looks like my v1 will be going ebay shortly then :cool::(
Message 40 of 287
Duck05
Aspirant

I just processed an RMA for my 3700 today and likely will get another one with the same issues. I asked via the support case if they can specify a V2 be the replacement but if there are none out yet that won't happen.

Has not been a fun experience with this product. The wife is ready to disown me for the number of interruptions and downtime of the Internet.
Message 41 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

In reference to xbox trade in, remember places like Gamestop have thier own ndas in place so its a oop shoot if your getting a bargin. With the slim within 24 hrs they were selling on the street legaly. Wouldn't happen if they didn't know to expect. You could always try indirectly asking to be in the next version beta or,bug your tech podcast reps and hope they have pull. Still nda'd if you get it but you'd have some nice stories after ward:rolleyes:.

If anything expect vauge June if they follow the v1 path since thats when I think I started seeing it in Scubbies back yard. You won't have any idea untill they want you to.

Thats my thought.
Message 42 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

After all that I've tried since last June, I would love to get hold of one, but I'm not going to beg. If offered I would likely say yes, but I would like to know for sure that the various issues have been addressed first.
Message 43 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

Scubbie, I would not intend to beg , I would just remind them of your problems and hope someone accedentaly or on purpose sends you one to see if it fixes your problems and see and hope you get good results:rolleyes:. You'd already have the expectation its coming, why not remind them of it on next rma:p.
Message 44 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

I'm playing it down at the moment. I've had a few issues with stability and I'm allowing the router to stay stable for a few days before taking the next step.
Message 45 of 287
davidmain
Aspirant

Dear Guys

It is now 5 days I have bought a DGND3700. I have 2 days left to return this device. According to the previous threads I'd better return it.

What do you advise? I can also replace it by a billion Bipac 7800N.

Thanks
Message 46 of 287
dewi
Tutor

davidmain wrote:
Dear Guys

It is now 5 days I have bought a DGND3700. I have 2 days left to return this device. According to the previous threads I'd better return it.

What do you advise? I can also replace it by a billion Bipac 7800N.

Thanks

It depends on whether you've experienced any problems with your DGND3700, or whether it works for you. The show-stopper for me was that it disconnected every few days and wouldn't reconnect automatically. I understand this problem to be restricted to people with ADSL (not ADSL2) connections and who live a long way from the exchange. Others have reported problems with DLNA streaming. I never tried that feature, as I have a Windows Home Server.

If the DGND3700 works for you, I would keep it and be happy.

As it happens, I replaced mine with a Billion 7800N. It's a very solid router and seems especially well-suited to long lines. It never drops the connection (50 days and counting) and has ended up synchronising nearly 1000 bps faster than the DGND3700 (3179 bps vs. 2191 bps). It's the best router I've owned. On the other hand, it has fewer bells and whistles than the DGND3700 (it's only single-band, for example), which may matter to you.
Message 47 of 287
davidmain
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the advice.
It actually works fine but I'm concerned about the ipv6 compatibility and the future.
And the last question. at the beginning of this forum a Netgear technician has advised that the modem does not support the ipv6 and the modem has technical connectivity issues which are nonrecoverable. How is it possible that a company's employee reveals such information and say that a new version is planned while the current version is actively sold in the market?!!!!!!!

Anyway thanks and regards
Message 48 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

davidmain wrote:
...How is it possible that a company's employee reveals such information and say that a new version is planned while the current version is actively sold in the market?!!!!!!!

All that information is on this section of the Netgear forum, so he hasn't stated anything that is not already public.

It has been hoped that Netgear would release a firmware which will support IPv6.

As for the connection issues, Netgear has been working hard to identify a fix, hence all the comments on this forum regarding Beta firmwares, for example.
Message 49 of 287
davidmain
Aspirant

Dear Guys
I have a problem with my DGND3700.
Whenever I update or reboot it, it takes a long time for the red light to become green. Is it normal? sometimes it never gets green and I should restart it.
However, when it becomes green the connection is good.
I have an ADSL2+ connection.

Thanks for your time
Message 50 of 287
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7