Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear giving up on the DGND3700, DGND3700v2 to be released instead.

Gerardo
Aspirant

Baldrick wrote:
Well, so far I have only spotted ONE Red Light incident re. my v2...and that corrected itself, ie, internet back, within 5 seconds.

But still early days and still checking. 🙂

I have been using this since Friday lunchtime without issue until this AM. Noted that using Ipad the pages began to load slowly then wouldn't; I looked at the router and no red lights, all usual looking but rebooted it anyway and it was back to normal. Is the red light displayed on the router or in the login nenu?
Message 226 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Interesting Gerardo. In fact my wife, the iPad user in our family, has actually advised that her connection speeds have improved/things are more responsive since switching to the v2. Having said that she is the only person using the 5GHz wireless...so that may have something to do with it.

Red light, if it comes on should appear on the router AND, if you are running it, as a RED icon for Netgear GENIE...as far as I can make out.

Regards

Balders
Message 227 of 287
chromedome
Aspirant

OK, am now just over a week in to using my V2 purchased from Amazon, and my initial (possibly wi-fi) speed issues seem to have cleared up. I am getting internet download speeds 25%-30% faster than on either of my previous routers and I have had no connection drops or red lights. So, I am guessing any early issues were down to my other equipment or ISP connection.

So currently I am very pleased with it.
Message 228 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Hi chromedome

That is good to hear. Thanks. Hoping that my first week with a v2 pans out like yours.

Regards

Balders
Message 229 of 287
Meridius
Aspirant

I have not decided yet but I am tempted to replace my netgear dg834gt on bethere.
Message 230 of 287
brianmathew85
Aspirant

chromedome wrote:
OK, am now just over a week in to using my V2 purchased from Amazon.

Hi chromedome,

How did you get your V2 from Amazon.co.uk? Did you ask for it specifically? If so how? I would like to get one for myself as well....but many people have been receiving mixed stocks...

Thanks,
Brian
Message 231 of 287
chromedome
Aspirant

Hi Brian

I didn't make any special requests; I just hoped that as it had been indicated that they were supplying the V2, that's what I'd get. I guess the longer you leave it the more likely you are to get a V2.

I wonder if it makes a difference which distribution centre you are near; for the record I live just outside Oxford.

Regards
Matt
Message 232 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

I bought from Scan.co.uk, at a better price than from Amazon, and was able to call them and ask that they check that it was a v2...which they did. 😄
Message 233 of 287
BitStream
Aspirant

Since Netgear replaced my V1 with another V1 two weeks ago they have not replied to any of my emails or offered any explanation via my latest ongoing ticket why they did this. Even by Netgear's standards this is very poor.
Message 234 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

BitStream,

I've had this device a year now and despite me chasing them about a dozen times in the past few months I still have no idea if I'll get the refund they promised me.

If I chase them up I might be lucky enough to get a boiler plate response but then there will be an eerie silence until I chase them again.

The only time they have communicated regularly with me over the past year was when they were asking me to test their various firmware versions for them.

I'm still amazed they don't have anyone monitoring these forums - its such bad PR for people to see all our complaints being ignored.

I'm not a big fan of Vodafone but at least on their forum they have staff who attempt to reply/help with any complaints.

Seems to me that Netgear have nothing but contempt for their customers, even those buying their so-called "premium" devices.
Message 235 of 287
brianmathew85
Aspirant

Thank you Baldrick and chromedome for your responses 🙂

I would like to get one as well but really can't try my luck on scan or amazon. Thinking of shipping one directly from Australia because V2 has been out there for a while. Saw it on ebay as well. Problem is that they do not ship abroad, so need to find a virtual address/post box before I jump into buying one.

-Brian
Message 236 of 287
BitStream
Aspirant

Well I've just had a long chat with Netgear and they have apologised for sending me the wrong replacement router. They called to say they are sending me a new V2 within 5-7 days so fingers crossed we're near the finish line now.
Message 237 of 287
arobertson676
Novice

Got the DGND3700v2 from PC World today for £150. Yes it's more than Amazon, but at least I know exactly what I am getting!

The new interface is really nice. I'll keep this thread updated with my thoughts as I use it more.
Message 238 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

Hopefully the v2 models will prove to be more reliable.

As Netgear are now telling me my refund cheque will be received next week I've just bought a new Billion BiPAC 7800N.

Doesn't have all the bells & whistles as my DGND3700v1 but it seems stable & can re-sync automatically which is the main thing.
Message 239 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Well, so far still so good re. my v2. Am still on just ADSL (just to situate you all), and as far as I can tell no red light issues, disconnections, kinks or otherwise. Everything seems stable.

Download/Upload speed available seem to be stable and if anything a little better than with previous router but then again, given where I live the max I understand I can get is 8Mbps (which is all I pay for) and am pretty close to that anyway.

Not sure how much better the WiFi range (2.4GHz) is when compared to the old DG834PND...some I think but still early days and placement seems to matter with this router (more so than the the DG834). But 2.4GHz is definitely better than 5GHz.

Hope that helps anyone out there who is interested?

Regards

Balders
Message 240 of 287
tuco
Aspirant

I got a 3700v2 today and on an adsl-max line its dropping internet and 2.4 wireless every few minutes, the router wont even reboot now only lighting the power/internet in orange or power light in orange and the front usb in green. I'm currently back on my old Belkin router with the Netgear unpowered to see if it will reboot after awhile without power, have posted a new thread but its not showing.
Message 241 of 287
gromit4x4
Aspirant

I too posted a new topic yeasterday about my dgnd3700 experience, that doesn't show either. I did wonder if censorship was being employed.
Message 242 of 287
bzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

keith_thfc wrote:

As Netgear are now telling me my refund cheque will be received next week I've just bought a new Billion BiPAC 7800N.

Doesn't have all the bells & whistles as my DGND3700v1 but it seems stable & can re-sync automatically which is the main thing.

You won't be disappointed. I got one of these when my DGND3700 (v1) got unbearable and practically useless a few months ago. It's utterly rock solid -- I haven't rebooted it in over a month (and that was just because I'd been on holiday). It has far superior range and strength to the DGND3700 when it was working at its best. I get a medium/strong signal in two rooms the DGND3700 didn't reach, and in the garden too.

I've just got an RMA for the Netgear and sent it off requesting a refund. If they send me a v2 I'm not going to use it as the BiPAC 7800N is so much more reliable. The main feature I miss is being able to set more than one network (I liked having a separate 802.11b WEP network [with MAC filtering] for the children's Nintendo DS Lites, with time restrictions too!). I've got round that by attaching an old small Belkin router to provide that extra network.

The other thing I might have used is the USB drive for DLNA. I now have a Raspberry Pi to do that though!

bzd
Message 243 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Just a quick update on the old v2. Just one more red light issue (that is now 2 in 2 weeks) but it resolved itself in the expect 5-10 secs.

Have noticed that my stats are a little improved over the old DG843PND

Both Link Rate values seem to have improved; Downstream from mid 7k Kbps to early 8k Kbps and Upstream from circa 500 Kbps to just over 1k Kbps. Not sure how much this is due to the router rather than the line but either way it is welcome.

Am keeping an eye on this to see if there are further improvements although I am not really expecting any as I pay for circa 8Mbps and to get what I pay for where I am located is IMHO pretty good (just hoping that FIOS will finally make its way to my exchange sometime soon 😄 ).

So, so far continues to be good.

Regards

Balders
Message 244 of 287
Ryster
Tutor

gromit4x4 wrote:
I too posted a new topic yeasterday about my dgnd3700 experience, that doesn't show either. I did wonder if censorship was being employed.

No censorship, but the forum is fully moderated. New posts and new replies to existing posts have to be approved by a moderator before they appear.

Some pretty critical stuff has been posted on this forums, not least of all by me (the OP of this topic). So you can hardly say their censoring posts 🙂

Regarding the DGND3700, well the RMA process is now complete and I have a shiny new DGND3700v2 instead. So far (touch wood) this is working much better than the v1 ever did, though it does have some bugs still. Like the Guest network saying "OFF" even after you've ticked the Enable box and saved it.
Message 245 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Hi Ryster

After 111 posts in total for this thread that you started I am glad to hear that you have your v2 and that things appear to be going OK/much better with that model.

Regards

Balders 😄
Message 246 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

FINALLY got a refund cheque from Netgear after being promised it 4 months ago. 🙂
Message 247 of 287
BitStream
Aspirant

So frustrating when the phone call I received says they are sending me a v2 router now and then 2 days later the ticket gets updated with this:
I really apologise for the time it has taken to get your concern addressed. I regret to inform you that the router DGND3700v2 currently not available. Once it will be available, you will receive a call back from our side to get your router replaced as soon as possible.

So although it is clearly on sale in the UK Netgear don't have them yet!

I shall sit patiently and wait..... and wait..... and.........
Message 248 of 287
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

gromit4x4 wrote:

Your thread is here;

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77904

I’m not sure why it was not approved, but there were a couple of profanities in there that I removed before I approved it, you would probably consider them mild or not even consider them profanities at all, but I have seen enough threads deleted by the level 1 mods to see that they are sensitive to even mild bad language. L1 mods are generally the people who will approve posts, and they are Netgear employees as far as I know.

As Ryster has said, Netgear L1 mods will let quite critical stuff through, though they will draw the line somewhere, and that’s generally where someone is simply ranting without making any valid useful points at all, I don’t believe that’s the reason why your post was not approved. The L1 mods are all people of course, and while there may be a general policy, how that is applied will vary from one individual to the next.
Message 249 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

Am amazed to hear that Netgear staff moderate these forums yet never have anyone on here to comment.

How much of their customer support time would have been saved if they simply posted a quick sticky on here relating to known DGND3700v1 issues and confirmed a replacement/refund process for those affected?
Message 250 of 287
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7