Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear: parents need on/off control over their children' device with multiple time schedules

simonold
Follower

Netgear: parents need on/off control over their children' device with multiple time schedules

Why has this not been introduced yet?  Parental controls in openDNS does the site filtering well but it's no good for giving us control to ensure children aren't distracted from homework or sleep.  I use static IP addresses and a firewall rule to turn the internet off for all my 3 kids - and this gives me one single time schedule for all of them.  But my children are of course different ages and need different curfews.  And also we need later times at the weekend.

What we need is to be able to create multiple time schedules, and then assign the appropriate time schedule to a device (MAC or static IP).  The time schedules need to be 7 days.  It's not rocket science.

I also need to be able to switch off internet access to a device from within Genie.  I had this ability in my N900, but this broke recently and I replaced it with a D6200.  Frustratingly the D6200 doesn't give me this function - allowing me only to choose the level of filtering in openDNS (low, medium, high, bypass etc).  This is rubbish. 

Does anyone at Netgear have children?

Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear: parents need on/off control over their children' device with multiple time schedules

Hello Simonold

These are great ideas I see your point in needing to individually shut each device off at certain times. I would post this in our Idea exchange boards where our engineers look for ideas to add the products.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Octopussy
Aspirant

Re: Netgear: parents need on/off control over their children' device with multiple time schedules

I agree with the request, I have two children to whom I want to restrict access to the Internet at certain times. I do present (without polemic) that other router manufacturers have this feature.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7