Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetgearD6400 - Connection

anomad1
Aspirant

NetgearD6400 - Connection

Could anyone tell me why the BT Engineer who installed my fibre connection connected my Netgear D6400 to a BT Openreach Box. It works very well but I dont think I need this.  When I try to connect directly from the modem to the BT line I cant get an Internet connection.  I am with PlusNet and have been into Genie setup and all looks to be o.k. I am baffled!!

Help appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Re: NetgearD6400 - Connection

Which BT Openreach Box?

What flavour of fibre? FTTP or FTTC? (Premises or Cabinet?)

Infinity, or  PlusNet version, is a flavour of DSL that uses FTTC. You can plug the D6400 into the copper phone line with that.

If it is genuine FTTP, then you need a fibre modem – the D6400 doesn't do that – which is probably what the Openreach Box is.

Message 2 of 8
anomad1
Aspirant

Hi - The modem is a VDSL BT Open reach model 06153 and is connected to the D6400 via an ethernet cable.  My provider is plusnet. The BT Engineer who installed the fibre installed the Openreach modem.  I think I am on just ordinary fibre plus but I dont know how to check anything else.  Could it be the D6400 isnt a fibre modem?

Message 3 of 8
anomad1
Aspirant

I think we have a cabinet at the bottom of our long drive which supplies 4 other houses.  Is that what you mean?

Help appreciated.

Message 4 of 8
anomad1
Aspirant

I looked on the BT Web Site and it looks as if my Cabinet is an FTTC.  Do you know of any Router/Modem which will work with that without the BT Modem?

Message 5 of 8

The D6400 does FTTC. You just need to set it up right.

I have no idea what the BT Openreach 06153 might be. I can't find it in BT's shop, or in Google.

Anything that connects to Infinity or ADSL is usually called a Homehub. My Infinity (VDSL) FTTP service came with a Homehub 5. I use the D6400 instead.

What internet speed do you have? That is a way of telling which service you have.

Message 6 of 8
anomad1
Aspirant

I have quite a good steady connection around 42 - 45mbs Down load and 5 - 6 upload. I am on fibre plus so should be able to get better speeds than this.

I have tried everything I can think of and have come to the conclusion it is either in the settings where I am going wrong or maybe the modem although I have had this for several months and it has been fine connected via ethernet.

not good - maybe need an idiots guide!!

Message 7 of 8

Those speeds smell like Infinity. I get better than that on Infinity 1 & 2. (I have two lines.)

When I set up the D6400, the Netgear wizard did the job just fine. But that is a BT line. I don't know if PlusNet does the same thing although it is also a BT company.

Here are the Internet settings I use:

• Transfer Mode = ATM
  • DSL Mode = Auto
  • Multiplexing Method = VC-BASED
  • VPI = 0
  • VCI = 38
  • Use VLANID = 101
  • Priority = 0
  • Does your Internet connection require a login? = Yes
  • Encapsulation = PPPoE
  • Login = bthomehub@btinternet.com
  • Password = [blank]

But as I say, the wizard – Advanced -> Setup Wizard – set things up just fine.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7